Starting up a Footy Manager forum ...

Hey there, My first ever post on here :D (sorry if this thread shouldn't be here but Im new :thup:)

I want to start my own Footy Manager forum and to help me what do you look for in a Football Manager website?

Heres a list of what you can use:

Guides/Hints

Cheats

Recommended players/staff

Network Games

Graphics

Tactics

Other

Thanks guys :cool:

there are boatloads of solid forums out there that give out information that the official SI forum never gets hold of. i see nothing wrong with it. guess we all need to tell the dugout, fm-britian, cm frenzy they need to close their doors (there's already an officiakl forum) :)

good luck ryan

Hey there, My first ever post on here :D (sorry if this thread shouldn't be here but Im new :thup:)

I want to start my own Footy Manager forum and to help me what do you look for in a Football Manager website?

Heres a list of what you can use:

Guides/Hints

Cheats

Recommended players/staff

Network Games

Graphics

Tactics

Other

Thanks guys :cool:

We should encourage new sites,extends the games community,even if the poor lad only gets a dozen members at least he's trying.

Instead i see just a few bits of encouragement and some mocking,i for one would join his site and see what it's like,so OP send me a link and i'll take a butchers.

Instead i see just a few bits of encouragement and some mocking

Look, its not disparaging or mocking for the sake of it. I'm a web apps developer, and I have been involved in running several forums. I've worked with people who didnt really know what they were doing, or why, they just wanted to do something fun. It's not fun, and a lot of them end up annoyed when it doesn't work out.

Granted, he could have some fantastic factor I havent spotted that will make it a success; but it's unlikely.

Personally, I would like to see someone create a wiki-style website for the game, that people could put their wisdom into. Or an Ubuntu Brainstorm-style website for ideas for the next game. Forums or download sections? Not so much, the niche is filled.

just thought it nice to give some encouragement that's all.

Yeah but unfortunately, sometimes that's a bit like giving people encouragement to pursue their dream of being a world class tiddlywink champion. Sure, it looks fantastic and fun when you get there, but the journey is tough and demoralising, and most people fall by the wayside :D

Better sometimes to say, hey, look there's just so many fantastic tiddlywinkers out there. And they're very established. Maybe you'd have a better time if you, say, made facepacks for Tiddlywink manager or volunteered as a tiddlywink assistant to an establish tiddlywinker.

I wasn't pointing the finger at anyone in paticular,just saying "give the guy a break" really,all sites start off from scratch,some make it and some don't,just thought it nice to give some encouragement that's all.

positive feedback, and encouragement are helpfull to everyone. Even if you disagree with the op's idea of a new forum dedicated to FM, at the end of the day, if he want's to make one, good luck to him. Branching from this forum will be useful, plus it may be more laid back with less rules and regualtions, maybe that will be a problem, maybe it will be more beneficial to the, friendlier users who like to go Off Topic :) and par-take in innocent banter with the rest of us.

I'm a web apps developer, and I have been involved in running several forums.

Granted, he could have some fantastic factor I havent spotted that will make it a success; but it's unlikely.

You are not running jack here.

So you're the official SI web design scouter huh.

Take a break from your keyboard Gavin

GavinZav changed jobs? He was a programmer in another thread? The IT merry go round ;)

I'm a self-employed C# developer, I take what I get. I've developed web applications including forums from scratch, mobile applications for things like iPAQs and desktop applications including a pretty-cool-even-if-do-say-so-myself automation program that saved a business 50% of its paperwork time. Still, don't take that as a boast, I'm flat broke! We get by mostly because my girlfriend has a steady permanent job as a teacher. Microsoft/Mono C# is a wonderfully versatile language. My current project, though, is mainly Javascript based, it's to create a sort of interactive assembly line, the sort of thing that you'd normally do in flash, but I dislike flash, I never really got into it

I've previously worked with PHP, and perhaps my most prominent project in the past was a PHP forum and 'helpdesk' that was used on a Mental Health support and awareness website, Speakology.org. Unfortunately due to a lack of funding (bloody recession, charities are broke atm) that site closed after 3 years and the member based was absorbed into a number of partner websites, but as far as I know the site itself is still standing.

Now, enough about me. Back to the guy starting the forum. Administrating a forum isn't actually all that technical once you get past the installation phase (usually thats how I got involved, someone would want me to install vBulletin for them), but it can be quite a lot of work and unfortunately, from experience, most of them seem to fail to produce any sort of vibrant, rewarding community. The closest things I've come to success in that sense would've been e-hibees, a forum for hibs fans (im not a hibs fan, really) and Mittelholzer (sp?) institute, a forum for discussion about all things related to life in Guyana. It can be very, very wearing, and for younger guys, frustrating and annoying. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I would even -specifically advise- people not to even wreck their heads by trying. In particular, someone who doesn't seem to have realised forum 'social' norms like not advertising unless asked, and not posting in the wrong section.

Archived