Save game compatability

I am trying to play my save game from my laptop on my home pc, however when I try to load my save it gives the following error:

"The database folder with which this game was created could not be found. The game is now using the default database folder."

The game then crashes and I have to shut it down from the task manager. Is this a problem due to the fact my laptop is running Vista and my home PC is running XP? I have the database I created this game with in the folder.

Anyone able to help me get this game running on both pcs so I can continue my game from uni when at home over the hols?

It sounds to me like the original game was created using the 9.1.0 database, which does not exist on the second computer. Have you patched the second computer?

If that's not the issue, did you download somebody's custom database? If so, you'll need that on the second machine as well.

(This is the same issue as network games experience - you have to make sure that both games are in the exact same state. For example, I've downloaded a media persons file; if I try to play a network game now, everybody needs the same file, and in fact needs the same version of it.)

It was the database update I created from SI's suggestions, and it is on both machine. I'm guessing its just a compatability issue between XP and Vista, although saying that I've never had a problem transferring games before.

I guess I'll just have to run it on the laptop. :(

I play a game on Vista that I started on XP, the game does not use absolute directories, it uses relative ones - if it used absolute directories you wouldn't have the opportunity to change the location of install. AND the game takes saved games from the directory you choose, again doesn't have to be the same one. I find it very hard to believe that there is any issue with playing saved games from one on the other because of the OS difference.

That particular error is not having the exact db you started with. you need to copy the correct database from your XP game to your vista game (and it should be in the same directory relative to where FM09 is installed, ie /sports interactive/fm09/data...)

if you can't do that do the following:

1) Run the game in windowed mode

2) Load the game, when the error appears the game will be minimised, click ok and let the game load

3) save the game under a new name

4) go back into full screen and then load the new save

hey, i managed to get it working after i read something on another thread. here's what i did:

I used to play fm on Windows XP and then i reinstalled windows.

The Sports Interactive Folder used to be in

c:\documents and settings\Dorf\my documents\sports interactive

now after reinstalation it was created on

c:\documents and settings\admin\my documents\sports interactive

so what i did was to create a folder on the same location as the initial was and from the in-game settings i selected that the one under 'Dorf' was going to be the main folder for the game to save files. So now i have copied the save game info to c:\documents and settings\Dorf\my documents\sports interactive instead of admin account. and you don't have to create another user or anything, just simply create a folder.

now it works again. so the thing is guys you have to create the database in the same location as it was when u created the game. then it should work!

Archived