Missing/changed features

I've come late to the game this year for various reasons and have noticed a few niggling things that are different from previous years. Apologies if these have all been covered in some depth before.

Firstly the 'move to reserves until match fit' option, which I used often, appears to have gone.

The arrows on the tactics screen next, I've no idea what's going on there. Previously the arrows could go inside, outside, forward and back but now they can just go forward and back. What is the reason for this? Again it's quite annoying as I often used horizontal lines in my tactics.

Finally the manager menu has changed meaning you can't go straight to your team by clicking on their name. I know the hotlink things are there for that but when you get used to playing a certain way it's difficult to readjust.

I've not played the game long enough to give a more well rounded opinion and I'm sure I will grow to like it as I always have done in the past but my initial feelings have not been helped by these changes.

The arrows on the tactics screen next, I've no idea what's going on there. Previously the arrows could go inside, outside, forward and back but now they can just go forward and back. What is the reason for this? Again it's quite annoying as I often used horizontal lines in my tactics.

The horizontal lines used to let you decide where your players would be, when you had the ball. the player would literally move to that position, regardless of whether it was appropriate or not. Now, the arrows represent forward runs - rarely, normal, or often being back, middle and forward. This means your players can still run forward, but they'll do it more intelligently; they'll make up their own minds rather than blindly obeying orders, even if there is no advantage for them to run to a certain place.

The old system of setting the players to move when you had the ball is now set by mentality (attacking or defensive) and creative freedom (how much they will use their own intelligence to decide whether to be a little more attacking than you'd planned.)

Firstly the 'move to reserves until match fit' option, which I used often, appears to have gone.

I miss it, too; there's a whole thread on that issue alone. I think the design argument is, you can set the first-team player to be available for Reserve matches via a tick-box; when he's sufficiently match fit for you, you un-tick that and you're done.

Another entire thread devoted to it; some people prefer it as-is, many people are fairly vocal about missing the old style .. in general, it means you want to re-think your tactical approach, which a lot of people are struggling with. Personally, I think that it results in more realistic movement especially watching my midfield's movement off the ball and in defense.

Finally the manager menu has changed meaning you can't go straight to your team by clicking on their name. I know the hotlink things are there for that but when you get used to playing a certain way it's difficult to readjust.

Not sure what you mean, because apparently I was never using this functionality. I made the shift to hot-keys a couple versions ago. You can customize your own hotkeys from the Preferences menu, so I've got it set up that the various F1, F2, etc, keys take me to:

My home page

My squad page

My Inbox

My fixtures list

Those were the big ones for me, the places I would tend to want to get to most often. If you're frustrated, I'd suggest setting up your own hot keys, its made a huge difference for me.

I'm sure I will grow to like it as I always have done in the past but my initial feelings have not been helped by these changes.

People resist change. Its human nature.

Yeah this really annoyed me too but I've got used to it now clicking on the team squad icon instead. Took some adapting though :p

Your first point - yeh I miss that too, but I see what SI have done here. Before a reserve fixture the assman gives you an exhaustive schpeel about who's in the first team and can play for the reserves etc. So the concept is still there, but for me it's a lot of dull and confusing text to read through, so I just make my unfir first teamers available fo rreserve sand have to remember to play them, then untick the 'avail for reserves' when they're match fit.

Your first point - yeh I miss that too, but I see what SI have done here. Before a reserve fixture the assman gives you an exhaustive schpeel about who's in the first team and can play for the reserves etc. So the concept is still there, but for me it's a lot of dull and confusing text to read through, so I just make my unfir first teamers available fo rreserve sand have to remember to play them, then untick the 'avail for reserves' when they're match fit.

Yeah just annoying when the reserve game was on a champions league game meaning all the players that played for the reserve team couldnt play for my first team. I miss just sending players off to become match fit, cause then they just pop up in your first team full fit. Now I have to check on them, which I never end up doing.

Archived