1. 1. Do you think the five levels given would help or hinder the game

• Bring it on
    • Could be useful
    • Not as many levels
    • Nice idea, but would prefer a different solution
    • Keep your ******* hands off my game.

If this has appeared twice, accept my apologies. Slippy fingers today

---------------------------------------------

As FM has developed over the years is has become more difficult and challenging to play. For the 'hardcore' gamer, this is not a problem as they have risen to the challenge. For casual gamers like myself, it has caused problems and I no longer play the game (nor any other football management games as they are terrible).

Difficulty levels could be introduced to help and 'woo' casual gamers. How?

1 - Five levels of difficulty (using England manager names as a guide)

Lowest - Taylor, Highest - Ramsey

At the lowest level all opposition managers have only one tactic to use (442 probably); make no substitutions except for injury; have all their attributes reduced to a maximum level of 3 (even Fergie and Wenger). As a manager, you are unsackable; the board and fans worship you no matter what you do; your reputation is the highest possible; anyone will sign for you (Yes, Ronaldo for Fisher Athletic is therefore possible); your stadium is always full for home games; you have a sugar daddy in charge of the club etc etc.

Very very easy

The next level up (Hoddle) will be a bit harder, but on both these lower levels the 'fog of war' is removed and you can actually see the slider settings of the opposition. The third level (Greenwood) is midway between two and four, whilst the fourth level (Venables) is the settings we have now.

The fifth level (Ramsey) is twice as hard as that we now experience and the goal is not to win trophies, but to see how long you can stay in a job. The AI is set to win at all costs and it will be a miracle if you can get anywhere at all.

2 - At the two lower levels your Assistant Manager is a super AI figure that knows EXACTLY how the game engine works and gives you instructions on what to do, how things relate to each other and what not to do. Naturally, a man (or woman) of such experience has been around for a long time and is looking forward to retiring at the end of the season. It is, in effect, a tutorial.

Although the above would help experienced gamers understand the AI and the ME, playing at the fifth level will still challenge them as the AI is skewed against them.

I would like to come back to what is a superb game, but I, like many others, am not willing to spend half my waking hours playing the game to learn how it works, what tactics work well etc to be able to scrape into the FA trophy final and lose to two last minute goals.

What say ye, oh wise ones.

You have to buy another game for such options. The game itself offers enough difficulty levels. You can delegate a lot to your assistant manager and you can choose easier or harder challenges when you start a game.

Your idea would be a no-go for me. I could only imagine a non-sacking option for beginners, nothing I would use, but it looks there is a problem for people not used with the whole CM/FM series to find their way into the game.

Difficulty levels are definitely not the answer, for me.

To solve the problem of the game being too difficult for some people, SI just need to have a think about the way they currently present things like tactics and training. If they can make these aspects of the game more intuitive, visually clearer and less time-consuming to use (without necessarily having to change the match engine), I think we'd see far fewer people complaining about the difficulty of the game.

The problem with the tactics screen is that it's not entirely clear (even with the manual) what many of the instructions do, and the current slider layout is a bit too abstract for most people. The idea of visual aids described on another thread would be a huge step forward - I think most people have some idea of the way they'd like their team to play, but can't translate it to the current tactical options (or just don't have the time to play about with the sliders, and watch full matches to tweak it). The other thing is that it needs to be much easier to adjust your tactics during a match, to react to various situations.

Training's a whole different discussion, but I think the presentation of the tactics screen would make a massive difference to the number of people finding the game a bit too overwhelming at the moment.

As FM has developed over the years is has become more difficult and challenging to play. For the 'hardcore' gamer, this is not a problem as they have risen to the challenge. For casual gamers like myself, it has caused problems and I no longer play the game (nor any other football management games as they are terrible).

At the lowest level all opposition managers have only one tactic to use (442 probably); make no substitutions except for injury; have all their attributes reduced to a maximum level of 3 (even Fergie and Wenger). As a manager, you are unsackable; the board and fans worship you no matter what you do; your reputation is the highest possible; anyone will sign for you (Yes, Ronaldo for Fisher Athletic is therefore possible); your stadium is always full for home games; you have a sugar daddy in charge of the club etc etc.

Very very easy

The next level up (Hoddle) will be a bit harder, but on both these lower levels the 'fog of war' is removed and you can actually see the slider settings of the opposition. The third level (Greenwood) is midway between two and four, whilst the fourth level (Venables) is the settings we have now.

The fifth level (Ramsey) is twice as hard as that we now experience and the goal is not to win trophies, but to see how long you can stay in a job. The AI is set to win at all costs and it will be a miracle if you can get anywhere at all.

2 - At the two lower levels your Assistant Manager is a super AI figure that knows EXACTLY how the game engine works and gives you instructions on what to do, how things relate to each other and what not to do. Naturally, a man (or woman) of such experience has been around for a long time and is looking forward to retiring at the end of the season. It is, in effect, a tutorial.

Although the above would help experienced gamers understand the AI and the ME, playing at the fifth level will still challenge them as the AI is skewed against them.

I would like to come back to what is a superb game, but I, like many others, am not willing to spend half my waking hours playing the game to learn how it works, what tactics work well etc to be able to scrape into the FA trophy final and lose to two last minute goals.

dont see how being forced to only use 442, not allowed to make subs except for injury, be unsakable with every one loving you would make the game interesting or in anyway relevant to a football simulation game. after all, how does that help you to NOT spend a lot of time working out how the game works and how tactics work? (no matter how debatable the thought that you have to spend hours and hours to work these things out is.)

the next level of yours mentions removing fog of war when you already have the option to have it on or off anyway.

a goal of not winning trophys for the next level? try a conference league side.

this is my idea for difficulty levels.

you want an easier game? try playing as manutd/chelsea etc. with no fog of war

want a really difficult game? try playing as a conference south side with fog of war on.

want something in the middle? try cardiff city or something.

First I'll say I am not good at the game.

But the game currently has different levels. Easy level is play as Barcelona or R Madrid etc. If you want harder chalanges drop down the level of club. It is reletavily easy to win with Barce, whcihc it should be.

I don't think the game need to be changed in that way.

Currently it is a very good game (with bugs and all).

There already are difficulty levels in the game so to speak with the reputation. As that already effects what players are attracted to your club as well as the board setting their expectation.

Training i can accept that the casual gamer wouldn't have much time for changing them about. One thing to consider for that would be allowing the assistant manager to take control of training. (Depending on how good the assistant is, the better the training balance)

For tactics though, SI have already put in a range of different tactic. What annoys me are the players who insist on playing the 4-4-2 tactic and when they come up against a different tactic and lose they complain. Take note of the tactic that team used and just try another of pre-made tactics. They won't all be successful but at least your attempting to play the game.

And if they can't be bothered to change a tactic....

There already are difficulty levels in the game so to speak with the reputation. As that already effects what players are attracted to your club as well as the board setting their expectation.

Training i can accept that the casual gamer wouldn't have much time for changing them about. One thing to consider for that would be allowing the assistant manager to take control of training. (Depending on how good the assistant is, the better the training balance)

For tactics though, SI have already put in a range of different tactic. What annoys me are the players who insist on playing the 4-4-2 tactic and when they come up against a different tactic and lose they complain. Take note of the tactic that team used and just try another of pre-made tactics. They won't all be successful but at least your attempting to play the game.

And if they can't be bothered to change a tactic....

Yes I had big problems with this prior to the introduction of the reputation levels because I would start out as a no-name and that is less than my reputation IRL. ;)

Now I always choose international league player or footballer....

What Annoys me in FM08 about tactics is the fact that 9out of 10 AI team employ a 4-2-4 tactic if they are losing in the last minutes....

this should be more diverse also there are too many default formations that have been removed

I mean sometimes (such as France in Euro2000 in the last 10minutes) employed a tactic that at best could be described as a 2-3-5

Very very easy

tell you what MartinW

I'll let you in on a little secret that my younger cousins use while playing the game

They make a save "prior" to every home game and then they load it if they lose (this way they are usually undefeated at home)

If that is not easy enough for you then just save/load all the games...

or if you want to make it harder the just allow yourself one-2 replies...

The possibilities are endless for setting your own difficulty level be creative

You have to buy another game for such options. The game itself offers enough difficulty levels. You can delegate a lot to your assistant manager and you can choose easier or harder challenges when you start a game.

Your idea would be a no-go for me. I could only imagine a non-sacking option for beginners, nothing I would use, but it looks there is a problem for people not used with the whole CM/FM series to find their way into the game.

Kubi, I've tried the delegation options as well as starting at 'easier' clubs and not got anywhere. I admit that I just could be a terrible FM gamer.

Your second point hits the mark exactly. Those who are used to the game find it easier. Those who are new (or just want a few hours of fun) find the game too difficult.

I would prefer a different solution to difficulty levels such as useful standard tactics, more intuitive tactics or some form of interactive tutorial to properly explain the tactical system that we already have.

Chopper 99 and RT--. Again, good replies and ideas. This is a game of such complexity that it needs a proper tutorial. I agree with you.

First I'll say I am not good at the game.

But the game currently has different levels. Easy level is play as Barcelona or R Madrid etc. If you want harder chalanges drop down the level of club. It is reletavily easy to win with Barce, whcihc it should be.

I don't think the game need to be changed in that way.

Currently it is a very good game (with bugs and all).

LFC Rule and postal postie: The fog of war I refer to (obviously badly) is being able to see the slider settings for the AI and how they change during the match. I have tried playing at bigger clubs, but still have a variety of problems.

Your replies are appreciated.

tell you what MartinW

I'll let you in on a little secret that my younger cousins use while playing the game

They make a save "prior" to every home game and then they load it if they lose (this way they are usually undefeated at home)

If that is not easy enough for you then just save/load all the games...

or if you want to make it harder the just allow yourself one-2 replies...

The possibilities are endless for setting your own difficulty level be creative

sutnop, I've tried saving/reloading and even nobbling the opposition using FMM, but I still find the game too difficult. It could simply be that I am not suited to this game, hence the poll to find out what others think.

sutnop, I've tried saving/reloading and even nobbling the opposition using FMM, but I still find the game too difficult. It could simply be that I am not suited to this game, hence the poll to find out what others think.

Well then you have rendered me quite speachless,

I mean just use the load option more often be more creative with team talks

you have to wind up your players (I.E. Wish them luck away to inferior opposition so they step up)

If that doens't work download some "sure shot" killer tactics of some forums

I usually stop playing the game once I have reached my favorite club, and won everything with it. (6-8 seasons)

Then start on a new campaign....

Besides if your solution would be implemented I would out of pride play on very difficult out of issues of pride, lose some unfair games start cursing the computer, and I would end up doing some serious damage to the computer and any bystanders....

Also I think there would be some serious Copywright issues naming the levels by managers (no manager likes to be considered or called incompetent)

I understand the hard-core players wanting no substantial changes to FM. But I don't understand the resistance to the idea of giving players the choice of difficulty options at the start of a new game. The hard-core managers will continue to have a "difficult" level, which FM seems to have become with 2009.

Not everyone wants to confront an AI/tactics regime that seems to require managers to become the equivalent of chess masters to succeed. Has SI considered the idea that a too-difficult game will lead frustrated players to refrain from buying future editions? And the word about FM's difficulty will spread to potential first-time buyers. Sales can decline, hurting the FM franchise and its further development.

I think that if you want something like that then go buy fifa manager.

Football Manager has always and will always be a game for the more hardcore football fans out there, those who want a proper challenge.

The game itself is essentially a spreadsheet and as such rarely attracts people who are not football fans into the game, therefore removing the need to tailor the game to a very casual player as you have suggested.

I read to "At the lowest level all opposition managers have only one tactic to use (442 probably); make no substitutions except for injury;"

and thought LOL no way, that is just stupid and I realy dont have to explain why as you should be able to see it yourself.

No wonder everybody is against difficulty levels every time it is brought up. If these are people's idea's of difficulty levels I'd be against it too.

I am, however, strongly in favor of difficulty levels. Personally I find the game far too easy. Especially on lower leagues it is extremely easy to be competitive and gain unfair advantages over the AI by being aggressive on the transfer market and by developing solid tactics. Th AI has always been notoriously bad at trading, fielding the right players and finding good youngsters.

I'd propose a very simple hidden bonus/penalty for players during the match. On hard all my players have a penalty on all attributes vs the AI. On normal both are equal (as current). On easy the player has a slight advantage. This will naturally lead to the player winning/losing more matches, needing better tactics, better transfers and so on. Very simple, very easy to understand, easy to implement. Anyone who hates difficulty levels can just play on normal and their game is completely and utterly unaffected, so there's no reason to get upset about it. Then, finally, I can play the game on the hardest level and be really challenged for a change.

I just rather the system stay as it is...

One thing that I've always believed in is that both AI and Human are equal in games, but the trick for most developers is to just give handicaps out, which whilst it can work in first person shooters and strategy games, it doesn't really work in a football simulator.

If difficulty levels were used then there would obviously have to be some sort of scaling of the AI which can never be good. The AI already struggles at times so it's not going to help by throwing in the odd ridiculous decision caused by some sort of hangover the game's having from the "Taylor" level!!

Levels are definitely NOT the answer to anything in this series.

I am sorry but i don't see FM as some sort of of quazy-console game that will let choose slider related difficulty levels or earn badges( this is not boyscout club or something).

Everyone has choices in and out of the game to choose difficulty.If managing EPL , La Liga or Calcio giants still proves to difficult, then maybe CM is for you. And if that shows difficult also, then FIFA manager.

I guess that gives you not 5, but unlimited amount of choices.

If this game turns out into another arcadish console junk , i wouldn't be playing it , as i believe neither majority posters on these forums.

One more thing, casual doesn't means having everything on easy.That's just bad excuse.I play once or twice a week now(on average) and i would love if this game is even way more complex and realistic because i want and love challenge.

That would make me casual, by any account.

A quick point to those who suggest trying another game. I have. As I posted originally, those games are far worse which is why FM has been the only football management I've ever played with any regularity. FIFA Manager is the best of the bunch and that is more irritating than a tropical skin disease.

Some posters seem to think that difficulty is everything. YOU will kill the game, not me. If the increasing difficulty takes more people away (I'm not the first and I won't be the last), there won't be enough of a market for the game.

As other posters have pointed out, the complexity of the game is a deterrent to new buyers. It's already a frustration for some experienced gamers.

My idea seems to have been shot down quite firmly (not a surprise), though I add that it is an idea for discussion rather than a set of firm proposals. Interestingly, the poll also shows a reasonable number of people in favour of some sort of levelling, even if in a different form.

Keep the votes coming and if you don't like the idea, please continue to say so...as well as tell us why.

No wonder everybody is against difficulty levels every time it is brought up. If these are people's idea's of difficulty levels I'd be against it too.

I am, however, strongly in favor of difficulty levels. Personally I find the game far too easy. Especially on lower leagues it is extremely easy to be competitive and gain unfair advantages over the AI by being aggressive on the transfer market and by developing solid tactics. Th AI has always been notoriously bad at trading, fielding the right players and finding good youngsters.

I'd propose a very simple hidden bonus/penalty for players during the match. On hard all my players have a penalty on all attributes vs the AI. On normal both are equal (as current). On easy the player has a slight advantage. This will naturally lead to the player winning/losing more matches, needing better tactics, better transfers and so on. Very simple, very easy to understand, easy to implement. Anyone who hates difficulty levels can just play on normal and their game is completely and utterly unaffected, so there's no reason to get upset about it. Then, finally, I can play the game on the hardest level and be really challenged for a change.

Great idea, and, I must admit, better than mine. Keep them coming.

The game already has difficulty levels.Play as Cheslea=easy play as Fisher Athletic=Hard

the perfect solution!

it really does irratate me when i see people saying there should be difficulty levels.

football manager is the only manager sim i would touch. if they were to bring in difficult levels it may put me off wanting to play as drastic as that sounds. this game is realistic and alot of people have never played fm because they find it too hard and there is no easy setting.

i really hope that SI never listens to the calls for difficulty levels and keeps improving the game.

I'm trying to stay out of this debate but I couldn't agree more with this.

Anyone who argues that playing as a top club is an "easy" level completely misunderstands the point of difficulty levels - which is to make it easier for a manager with only a casual knowledge of the game and its database to be able to make a team perform at least as well as you'd expect a decent manager to do.

Winning the league as Chelsea is (i)the very least your board will expect you to do and (ii)not necessarily that straightforward for the "pick up and play" novice.

Similarly, anyone proposing that an "easy" level makes ludicrous signings impossible and remove any semblance of tactical variety from the game also misses the point.

All that FM10 needs is 1 or options to play on a slightly less (over)sensitive to sliders detuned match engine [useful for people who like long term careers and transfer market dealings as well as novices] and possibly transfer market options to make the human manager less financially penalised by AI managers.

Difficulty levels are definitely not the answer, for me.

To solve the problem of the game being too difficult for some people, SI just need to have a think about the way they currently present things like tactics and training. If they can make these aspects of the game more intuitive, visually clearer and less time-consuming to use (without necessarily having to change the match engine), I think we'd see far fewer people complaining about the difficulty of the game.

The problem with the tactics screen is that it's not entirely clear (even with the manual) what many of the instructions do, and the current slider layout is a bit too abstract for most people. The idea of visual aids described on another thread would be a huge step forward - I think most people have some idea of the way they'd like their team to play, but can't translate it to the current tactical options (or just don't have the time to play about with the sliders, and watch full matches to tweak it). The other thing is that it needs to be much easier to adjust your tactics during a match, to react to various situations.

Training's a whole different discussion, but I think the presentation of the tactics screen would make a massive difference to the number of people finding the game a bit too overwhelming at the moment.

THIS :thup:

The game already has difficulty levels.Play as Cheslea=easy play as Fisher Athletic=Hard

Nonsense.. LLM is ridiculously easy if you know what you're doing. A good player can promote any BSN or BSS squad in two seasons or less. How realistic is that?

No

There are many things you can do to make the game as hard or easy as you want as long as there is some sort of challenge

Start off with no players, no money and no staff in the BSS like I do - that is hard - or if you want to make it easy give yourself a load of money or create a team of superstars who start at your club - the choice is yours

The editor is there to make the game harder too - not just for the cheats :)

Thats complete rubbish Bonus Penalty!?!?!?

Like in RomeTW its stupid

The whole point of the diffculty level is to increase the intellegence of the AI

Not to alter the luck/fortune aspect in the game

I am already pullint my hair out when when I tie Ipswich with Arsenal despite the match stats looking like

21 shots 9 target Arsenal

5 Shots 2 Target Ipswich

or lose away to Liverpool even though I dominate them and Reina plays miracle man while I have the feeling to calmly tell Teo Walcott "listen boy-wonder whatever you do DON'T SHOOT dribble the bloody ball in if you have to!!!!"

And you want these so called upsets to happen more often!?

Keep your ******* hands off my game.

:D

Not for me, I'm afraid. If you want an easier challenge, manage Chelsea, Man Utd, Barcelona, Madrid, Inter or Juventus. You set your own difficulty in a way.

There are ways to alter the difficulty of the game already though of course a good percentage of people are still finding the game very difficult. To counter that a solution needs to be found but it's not difficulty levels, they'd be too hard to code and wouldn't work for a football manager simulation like they would a FPS.

Difficulty levels and in particular the measures you've outlined aren't the answer but something does need to be done.

Personally my comfort zone is with the bigger and more powerful clubs but it's not the walk over that some suggest it to be. I understand where some people are coming from in regard to difficulty because Football Manager 2009 is such a far cry from the Championship Manager days of old where fantastic players could be bought on the cheap and tactics were relatively simple.

I Remember during my First game of the series back when it was called CM and my only experience was playing the Sierra based manager game (you know the one where you could build your stadium stand by stand)

I think this was the first version where the Portugese League was playable during the Christmas Holiday my kid brother and I played

he took Benfica

I took Porto

and we played in a very easy league our only threat was Sporting

After one season Sporting started to bother my kid brother too much so we Added a fake manager during each Transfer Window and made Sporting sell off their best 2 players below market value to my brother and buy to players he wanted to get ridd off (this was also done to make his Benfica more competetive).

And it worked

There are millions of ways you can make the game more easy

I think the creator of this thread is just lazy

Just use the finances in the editor

make your chairman the riches and most loyal chairman who will never dream of firing you

Take away a 0 from all the other clubs finances...

Just be creative

Thats complete rubbish Bonus Penalty!?!?!?

Like in RomeTW its stupid

The whole point of the diffculty level is to increase the intellegence of the AI

That would be lovely if we lived in a world where SI had infinite time and resources. Unfortunately I live in the real world and the AI is never going to be better than a human at playing the game. Of course it is not the best solution, I'm not an idiot. But I'm looking for a simple and pragmatic solution here. One that can actually be implemented quite easily and safely and one that doesn't affect people who don't want to use it. You may want to tone it down a little bit next time you open your mouth and think about why somebody proposes something.

Archived