Young promising Goalkeeper - How to fulfill his potential?

I had success with (assuming an EPL team):

16 - tutor / Under-18 team

17 - tutor / Reserves / U-18s Cup

- very occasional Cup matches vs lower-league clubs / 3-mo loan to League 1.

18 - full-season loan, Championship

19 - full-season loan, Championship

20 - started about 11-12 games

21 - started about 33% of our games

22 - started about 67% of our games

23 - full first choice

Outfield players :- u18's from 15 - 17. 18 they go out on loan to a feeder club, usually in the conference or l2. 19 on they go straught into the first team.

Goalies :- u18's from 15 -18. 19 they go out on loan. 20 they go into the first team as 2nd choice and play reserve games all season. 22-25 they usually step up. Although in FM 09 I have been using experienced keepers on 1 year deals because I haven't had a good regen keeper so far. :thup:

Some players I throw straight in to the 1st team. If they don't complain about pressure etc. then I just get on with it. Look to sell them on for 5-10m by 20. Next lot is coming through then anyway ..

its hard to know when players are good enough, I have had players come through my hull youth and within one season (age 17-18) he was a first team regular scoring 25+. but many many occasions where players get there chance and failed miserably. judge carefully..

It does, actually. Younger players are much more susceptible to the effects of Morale, and to pressure as a general concept; if you toss an 18-year-old keeper in the deep end and ask him to start every one of Man U's matches in a season, you'll see him start "Feeling the Pressure of Public Expectation" before Christmas.

In theory, that should ****** his development, and possibly even cause loss of confidence and permanent personality problems. I haven't tested that in FM'09, but my experience in prior versions supports those statements.

Goalies :- u18's from 15 -18. 19 they go out on loan. 20 they go into the first team as 2nd choice and play reserve games all season. 22-25 they usually step up. Although in FM 09 I have been using experienced keepers on 1 year deals because I haven't had a good regen keeper so far. :thup:

Damn, poor goalies :p My good regen keeper is already in my first team as second choice at the age of 16 ;)

Cup matches + league matches vs bottom 5 :p (Im managing Benfica btw)

Archived