Speed/Strength

I've noticed that when i have a striker a few yards in front of a CB running towards goal, that quite often the CB can catch up to the striker even though my strikers are so much quicker (Aguero, Walcott, Robinho) than most centrebacks. On the match engine it looks to me it looks as though the strength of the defenders somehow allows them to catch up to my strikers and shrug them off the ball, but they shouldn't be catching up to these players at all. Has anyone else found this?

Yes, often. I think they appear to catch up from too far behind sometimes but on the whole I think its okay. If the striker is already at full speed, or changes direction when accelerating away, they'll sometimes get clear. Seems about right to me.

because they have the ball! If you were to start a race between 2 guys with the same pace, one running with the ball, the other without, who do you think would win?

Other stuff plays a factor too as mentioned above. The difference in condition late in games is usually big between the 2 positions.

because they have the ball! If you were to start a race between 2 guys with the same pace, one running with the ball, the other without, who do you think would win?

Other stuff plays a factor too as mentioned above. The difference in condition late in games is usually big between the 2 positions.

I realise this, but i'm talking about defendes with around 10/11 for pace and acceleration. Even with the ball mess,robinho etc wouldn't be caught with a couple of yards head start.

I realise this, but i'm talking about defendes with around 10/11 for pace and acceleration. Even with the ball mess,robinho etc wouldn't be caught with a couple of yards head start.

Yea, its like saying Walcott could be caught by Carragher just because he's running with the ball.

The amount of Dribbling skill relates to the speed of the player with the ball at feet. A player with Pace of 20 and Dribbling of 1 will either run very slowly with the ball at feet (making it easy for him to be caught from behind) or will tend to knock the ball far too far out in front of himself (making it easy for another defender, or the goalkeeper, to reach the ball before he does.)

I do suspect that there is a Strength battle which occurs when the match engine thinks that the defender is in range to do some shirt tugging, upper-body jostling, etc. I believe that the match engine thinks that the players are close enough for that Strength battle to occur when the 3-D display seems to indicate that there is some separation between the players.

I'm not too fussed about it; the 3-D display will get better with time.

I've noticed that when i have a striker a few yards in front of a CB running towards goal, that quite often the CB can catch up to the striker even though my strikers are so much quicker (Aguero, Walcott, Robinho) than most centrebacks. On the match engine it looks to me it looks as though the strength of the defenders somehow allows them to catch up to my strikers and shrug them off the ball, but they shouldn't be catching up to these players at all. Has anyone else found this?

It depends on which part of the park the forward is. If a player breaks through the defence at the half way line, you'll see that he can break free of the defender, but the defender will make ground in the last 25 yards (from the goal line). This reflects how it tends to work in real life. In the first part of this breakaway, he is just running and can therefore beat the defender. As he gets closer to goal, he is beginning to set himself up for a shot which takes some of the pace out of his game.

To show this, you can see the difference with a player that has high attribute scores for technique and dribbling. A player with higher pace and acceleration will get away initially, but the player with high dribbling and technique will maintain the advantage over the defender. It still doesn't work quite correctly in the match engine, but hopefully this will explain the attributes that cause this.

:-)

I do suspect that there is a Strength battle which occurs when the match engine thinks that the defender is in range to do some shirt tugging, upper-body jostling, etc. I believe that the match engine thinks that the players are close enough for that Strength battle to occur when the 3-D display seems to indicate that there is some separation between the players.

Yeah, this is what it seems like to me. It's just a bit annoying.

Archived