FM 2009 on PowerPC Mac

Just to let you know it does work. The 3d engine doesn't work. But the game runs fine in classic mode...which is what most use anyway. I run a Duel 2.3ghz PowerPC G5 with the latest version of Tiger.

The sticky above about 9.1.1 states FM09 does not work on Power PC's with either Mac OS, which is wrong.

The July 24th issue also happens on Macs :(

Just to let you know it does work. The 3d engine doesn't work. But the game runs fine in classic mode...which is what most use anyway. I run a Duel 2.3ghz PowerPC G5 with the latest version of Tiger.

The sticky above about 9.1.1 states FM09 does not work on Power PC's with either Mac OS, which is wrong.

The July 24th issue also happens on Macs :(

Why doesn't the 3d work? Is it software crippled or just a case of you needing a better GPU?

I can't imagine its a lack of processing power ..

Fair enough. TBH that GPU is pretty old hat nowdays. ATi support for OSX is woeful as well. There's been no software updates in nearly four years ..

I'd look into an Nvidia 6 series AGP. I use a 6600GT in my x86 Hackintosh rig and it runs FM 2009 fine. :thup:

If you really want to sort it out at some point forget ATi. Go for a Mac Edition 6800 or a 7800 GT. Should be able to find them on fleabay ..

cheers mate. Im not the biggest technical whiz......is that an easy thing to install ?(i have installed my own RAM and a DVD burner before) Would it help run Photoshop and Archicad better also? Or is it only really beneficial for games

Very simple. Just the same process as inserting a ram dimm or any other PCI card type device. You line it up, push firmly but not forcefully: screw it down. Job done.

Re: application benefits. Possibly. I wouldn't like to say yes or no, but you can do some googling on the subject and find out from the iLifer crowd what the score is.

Don't pay too much for it either. A dual G5 is effortlessly slower than even entry level Intel Core Duo. You can get a board with integrated graphics (intel GMA X3100), a Core 2 cpu etc. and install a slightly tweaked copy of OSX on it now for about $400. Yet dual g5 rigs are still fetching $800 on ebay ..

Is it possible to upgrade to Intel without forking out for a new rig? Im pretty happy with this machine. Ive got 3.5gb RAM....and TBH it still kicks all my mates computers asses, and the uni computers too. But it seems alot of new programs are totally being geared toward the Intel Macs.

No. You'd need a new motherboard, RAM, psu and likely HDD as SATA is now the standard.

The G5 case might not accept a standard ATX psu either. So possibly a new case.

The G5 is ok for running OSX, maybe get another couple of years out of it.

But for games? No.

I have a box running OSX purely for iLife and the CS3 suite. The apple version of EXT2/3 filesystem works much better for me in terms of data integrity and the workflow on OSX is light years better than Vista. I can also use Darwin Ports to keep my X11 repository up to date. That and I have all the licenses for all the software on this platform, so there's no incentive to upgrade.

For games, I have a windows XP box with a cheap AMD 6000 and an ATi 3850.

The rest is on a notebook ..

Is it possible to upgrade to Intel without forking out for a new rig? Im pretty happy with this machine. Ive got 3.5gb RAM....and TBH it still kicks all my mates computers asses, and the uni computers too. But it seems alot of new programs are totally being geared toward the Intel Macs.

I've seen services on Ebay where they will convert your G5 Powermac to Intel and make it a Mac Pro in essence, they aren't cheap though.

Archived