Not enough upsets?

Firstly I'd like to sy I'm loving FM09 after falling out of love with the series with 08.

One thing I've noticed though is that there very rarely seems to be a team in a lower division that beats a higher one in cup comps. In real life you see quite a few upsets in the early rounds of cup competitions especially but in this game nearly every round seems to go almost totally to divisional status. For instance I've just had 1st round of League cup played and after 35 ties only 2 had teams from a lower division beating a higher one and one of those was on penallties and that is about the average in every round and competition. It just makes things a bit boring and predictable.

This is one thing i always felt the game lacked..... dont get me wrong I know it would be hard to implement but cups are like no other, I mean the passion and pride of playing in cup competitions cant really be installed on a game really,

Or do you think there could be better team talks for cup games like... Come on lads this is theFA cup or go show your self to the bigger clubs(I'm stuck for others) Would this be possible to implement?

Seems about right to me. Playing as Weymouth in BSP I beat a League 1 and Championship side on the way to a 4th round match up with Arsenal in FA Cup. Even managed a goal against Arsenal - lost 3-1 mainly due to my goalie making an absurd amount of saves.

The '08 version was way off before patches if I remember correctly. Every time I got matched against a team with grey players they would destroy me, but I could beat teams 2, 3, or 4 leagues above me.

I have seen a few upsets, less than in reality admittedly but I can tell you exactly why.

If you look at league cup or lower round FA cup matches, good teams often field young sides without much experience to give them a game, however this is not coded into the game, teams will play a full strength side for these competitions.

All that needs to happen to make it a bit more realistic is for teams to be given different priorities for these cups so they play less experienced players, however that in itself would create problems which I can't be bothered to go into now.

I'd agree with the OP, as Brighton I co-incidentally drew Man City in the Carling Cup (2nd round, 1st season), a game we won in real life. They did play a semi-reserve side IRL (Jo, Kompany, Dunne, Ireland etc were playing but fringe players like Schmeichel, Sturridge etc also played) but on the game they played a full strength team (Robinho, Wright-Phillips, Petrov et all) and being me 8-0. 8-0!! I don't mind losing to a bigger team, or at all for that matter, but 8-0 is ridiculous. Out of curiosity (I saved the game first, I'm no cheat) I replayed it five times and my BEST result was a 4-1 loss- 6-0, 6-2, 4-1, 5-1, 5-0. The one thing the game's never quite got right IMO is big teams' cup policy, ie Wenger playing his academy stars in the Carling Cup. In-game the Prem sides seem to rest their star striker, maybe a defender, but other than that they're unchanged, even if the side has average 80-85% fitness from a mid-week game or whatever. I'd like to see morale/team-talks play a bigger part for the underdogs in cup games, fire up players more and close the gap in quality. Not overdone obviously since the reality is a top 6 prem team wins the domestic cups most years, but when you consider the cup runs of Havant, Wycombe, Millwall, West Brom, Portsmouth etc in recent years, perhaps the cups aren't as inevitable as the league. IRL the Brighton-ManC game was pretty even, we dominated possession, they had the better chances, but we won because we fought harder and looked more up for it. The sign of a lower league team determined to win, all the pressure on the big side. Needs tweaking IMHO.

Not sure i agree, whilst managing St.Albans i knocked out Oxford in the FA Cup whilst i was mid-table BSS and they were riding high in BSP whilst more impressively i've held Millwall of league one to a 2-2 draw their place (was 2-0 down) and then this season got another league one side in the 1st round, Swindon, this ended 0-0.

Archived