Its your tactics mate!!

Why do people say this when they havn't got a clue as to why the forwards are misfiring in the game? IS IT A BUG? After buying most of the worlds best strikers in a few new starts on FM09, i came up with some points and questions.....

1. When you start a new game do you set your manager experience or leave it be?

Automatic is the already set choice. I changed this to INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE after finding my forwards not scoring much and it ACTUALLY helped. Straight awaqy my team had unity. They liked me also which helped players like Berbatov and Manucho settle in. (Even though they were both utter 4444)

2. No matter what tactics are employed SURELY there are players in the big wide world of football that will actually play to the managers prefered tactics for the srikers? Or at least surely the players adapt? Im not saying that a defensive 5-3-2 will hammer Barca 3-0 but given sensible tactics why are near enough NO STRIKERS scoring freely? They have the talent, i have the team.

3. Why so many long shots?

4. If a have an assistant manager giving me feedback what attribute will he need to have the highest to give me the best available feedback? Will a new assistant manager need time to give me acurate feedback through knowledge of his/our new team? (Can i trust him!)

5. For all those people who say its your tactics, WHY DONT YOU UPLOAD YOUR TACTICS for those not as fortunate as yourselves to try and get some well deserved fun from this game? iIt is christmas after all..........

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is just a wild guess and i havent researched it (because i cant be bothered) but id say the majority of FMers who are having success have read and implemented some if not all of the advice offered in T&TF.

Some of the theories in there are so in depth.

It feels more like a workround sometimes, not about tactical nous

I basically ignore these "its your tactics" posts,I find either a.they think they are funny or b.they have D/L someone else's tactics and still think they are a great manager as they show up for match day.

There are a few die hard player's out there that I take my hat off to,these players are the 1's that start at a lower club and make there own tactic with no rolling save cheat and go onto greater things like winning the CL,though I think these players are not the 1s posting "its your tactics" over and over.

I would say that it is your tactics. but wait, theres more. this game is so unforgiving that if you dont get your tactics pretty much spot on you're scewed. the only way ive had success is, like someone said, FULLY implementing the TT&F, which is a bit rediculous really.

so yes it is your tactics, but no, its not your fault mate.

the strikers thing has got to be a bug, im sick of seeing del piero, trezeguet, amauri and balotelli all skying the ball when one on one with keeper!

Why do people complain about the difficulty of the tactics? I am successful by just using 2 presets, without tweaking the tactics at all. (442 diamond attacking and 433)

Mind you, I do tweak all the training, opposition instructions and set pieces though. But generally I leave team and player instructions alone. I find them perfectly all right as they are.

Nevertheless, I have expressed my frustrations about other aspects of the tactics (the sliders and their insane amount of notches) many times before in different threads.

Lpool5 and Leeds - get a room!!

So from what people are saying is that its near impossible or EXTREMELY hard to produce a winning tactic without the TT&F? Then why does this NOT come with the game? And what about those who have no internet access and have registered by phone.... like me.... who have no proir knowledge of such a thing. What about them? :confused:

p.s does anybody ever read the reason for editing a post?

I would say that it is your tactics. but wait, theres more. this game is so unforgiving that if you dont get your tactics pretty much spot on you're scewed. the only way ive had success is, like someone said, FULLY implementing the TT&F, which is a bit rediculous really.

so yes it is your tactics, but no, its not your fault mate.

the strikers thing has got to be a bug, im sick of seeing del piero, trezeguet, amauri and balotelli all skying the ball when one on one with keeper!

Are you sure the Juve strikers havn't been "betting" like is prevailant in Italian football! Rumour has it the Juve dressing has more brown envelopes flying about than the post office! ;)

Lpool5 and Leeds - get a room!!

So from what people are saying is that its near impossible or EXTREMELY hard to produce a winning tactic without the TT&F? Then why does this NOT come with the game? And what about those who have no internet access and have registered by phone.... like me.... who have no proir knowledge of such a thing. What about them? :confused:

Exactly. I have been saying this for over a month. We shouldnt have to read essays should we?

If the FM series has arrived at the point where we all have to read 50 page guides, then the game has surely gone beyond fun

honestly though it is your tactis there are no stupid bugs what affect your tactics. mine are working perfectly with a lot of goals coming in. the thing is that it is in so much detail that usually you tick a few boxes and yoru done but now it is much harder yet the players have remained the same. ticking a few boxes here and there. honestly i went in depth and it took me 10 minutes to get my tactics perfectly done and how i wanted them. then, before you could just keep your tactics the same for every match but now, you have to tweak them every game. i did this and it worked as you play to their weaknesses and they cannot suss you out.

honestly though it is your tactis there are no stupid bugs what affect your tactics. mine are working perfectly with a lot of goals coming in. the thing is that it is in so much detail that usually you tick a few boxes and yoru done but now it is much harder yet the players have remained the same. ticking a few boxes here and there. honestly i went in depth and it took me 10 minutes to get my tactics perfectly done and how i wanted them. then, before you could just keep your tactics the same for every match but now, you have to tweak them every game. i did this and it worked as you play to their weaknesses and they cannot suss you out.

But the problem with this is it limits the pick up and go ability of the game. Or for the people who only have time to play 30 mins or so at a time. You used to be able to get 3 games in that time, now you struggle to get 1 or 2 in!

So post ur tactic so others can try and get some fun from the game

Why are there so many "winning tactics" but NONE posted?

Because the tactic may be based around specific players so it wouldn't work for all players.

Your quite right but it would work for some AND if the tactic IS GUARANTEED to work, wont half the fun be finding the right players? I.E what the game is meant to be like!

So post ur tactic so others can try and get some fun from the game

Why are there so many "winning tactics" but NONE posted?

exactly. do yo want me to tell you every player i have, every set player instruction and the positions?

well i dont have a photobucket account or any of those picture upload websites. mainly because i got a virus from photobucket before.

i play a flat back 4 and set the 2 full backs to play as wing backs but keep them in the full back position. 1 defending mid keep his creativity low, direct balls, arrow back. centre mid, make him a real box-to-box player. AML,AMR make them swap position which means play 2 wingers who can play on both sides then 2 strikers. that is the basics of mine.

Your quite right but it would work for some AND if the tactic IS GUARANTEED to work, wont half the fun be finding the right players? I.E what the game is meant to be like!

Not nescessarily, how can it be guaranteed to work, that is part of the reason not many tactics are uploaded.

"exactly. do yo want me to tell you every player i have, every set player instruction and the positions?"

yes, its called a tactic

Dont be an arse you know what i mean, there is no 100% succesful tactic but some people are stating that they have a winning tactic then all im asking is that could they post it so we, The People = Tactic Fail, use said tactics and HAVE SOME FUN!

I had a similar problem at Liverpool with Torres rarely scoring. My tactics won games but Torres usually played poorly so i asked him to learn to place his shots in player interaction as one of his preferred moves and now he'll score whenever he gets one on one with the keeper and often puts the ball in the corner from range.

"exactly. do yo want me to tell you every player i have, every set player instruction and the positions?"

yes, its called a tactic

Dont be an arse you know what i mean, there is no 100% succesful tactic but some people are stating that they have a winning tactic then all im asking is that could they post it so we, The People = Tactic Fail, use said tactics and HAVE SOME FUN!

There are tons of those in the Tactics and Training Tips section. Just head on over there and have your pick.

Why do people say this when they havn't got a clue as to why the forwards are misfiring in the game? IS IT A BUG? After buying most of the worlds best strikers in a few new starts on FM09, i came up with some points and questions.....

1. When you start a new game do you set your manager experience or leave it be?

Automatic is the already set choice. I changed this to INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE after finding my forwards not scoring much and it ACTUALLY helped. Straight awaqy my team had unity. They liked me also which helped players like Berbatov and Manucho settle in. (Even though they were both utter 4444)

2. No matter what tactics are employed SURELY there are players in the big wide world of football that will actually play to the managers prefered tactics for the srikers? Or at least surely the players adapt? Im not saying that a defensive 5-3-2 will hammer Barca 3-0 but given sensible tactics why are near enough NO STRIKERS scoring freely? They have the talent, i have the team.

3. Why so many long shots?

4. If a have an assistant manager giving me feedback what attribute will he need to have the highest to give me the best available feedback? Will a new assistant manager need time to give me acurate feedback through knowledge of his/our new team? (Can i trust him!)

5. For all those people who say its your tactics, WHY DONT YOU UPLOAD YOUR TACTICS for those not as fortunate as yourselves to try and get some well deserved fun from this game? iIt is christmas after all..........

well said mate, couldn't agree more.

In my current game, near the end of the season here's a breakdown of my strikers:

#1 - Pld 18 (15), Scored 18

#2 - Pld 23 (6), Scored 14

#3 - Pld 31 (6), Scored 10

#4 - Pld 21 (10), Scored 5

#5 - Pld 10 (3), Scored 4.

So the "problem" of strikers not scoring is not a widespread bug. This is something that has been discussed a lot, and is generally not regarded a bug.

If you want advice on how to set up your strikers on how to score, search the Tactics & Training Forum.

The way to get a winning tactic without resorting to using match-engine exploits is two-fold:

1) trial and error. I took a long time to win a game with my first save (what I consider my "test" save) as Chelsea. I started with the default tactics and worked a few things in, such as use of target man, short passing, slow tempo, and what happens when you are behind at half time -- a good half season of a save. Then I started playing as Newcastle and still struggled, but by Christmas I'd realised something... it's next:

2) playing the tactic most suited to your players on hand. I have found this is by far the best way to win games. If you have fast wingers and good target men and good tackling defenders, the best tactic is probably a 4-4-2 with 2 CMs set to defensive and rare forward runs, and your wingers on attacking mentality and focusing the passing to the wings. Not always the best against the stronger teams as their DCs just chuck the ball back out with ease. But if your CMs are very creative and your STs are fast and intelligent, a 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 might be in order...

... I'll stop there before I get too mired in T&TF territory. I'm no genius in the tactics department, and I couldn't get Owen to score for toffee, but I did okay in my first full season, snagging the final Uefa cup place on the final day (thanks to Man U and Chelsea being FA cup finalists and qualifying for the CL admittedly). I think if I had a slightly better quality squad (Geremi had my highest avg rating) I'd have done a lot better, and my second season looks far better on paper, although I think they're taking their time to gel.

I believe there IS a problem with STs, and although I have absolutely zero evidence, I suspect the testers found that many STs were too GOOD, and tweaked their effectiveness, hence the number of woodwork shots and missed headers; IOW they were tweaked too far the wrong way - but not by much.

Anyway, to a certain extent it is always your tactics, but the ME does need work. Roll on the new patch.

Archived