Football manager is loosing it's appeal year after year..big big shame

I'm not starting this thread to cause arguments but why does it feel like every year that passes FM gets worse and worse. Gone are the days when I and many other would be completely lost in this game. This series has not been the same since the late 90's/early 2000's when it moved from CM to FM. It was so simple back in those days yet it felt so involved. We had no stupid 3d engines, just stats which actually felt like the stats mattered, it was so addictive. So why does it feel such a boring affair now playing for 30 minutes with all the new shiny bells. What will it take to get the feel of Championship Manager of the late 90's/early 2000's back.

I'm not starting this thread to cause arguments but why does it feel like every year that passes FM gets worse and worse. Gone are the days when I and many other would be completely lost in this game. This series has not been the same since the late 90's/early 2000's when it moved from CM to FM. It was so simple back in those days yet it felt so involved. We had no stupid 3d engines, just stats which actually felt like the stats mattered, it was so addictive. So why does it feel such a boring affair now playing for 30 minutes with all the new shiny bells. What will it take to get the feel of Championship Manager of the late 90's/early 2000's back.

It is split in two; some people love the fact that players control so much of there teams affairs, while some preferred the simplicity and speed of earlier versions. Personally, I love the new game and enjoy being in so much control but I do see the problem.

It is split in two; some people love the fact that players control so much of there teams affairs, while some preferred the simplicity and speed of earlier versions. Personally, I love the new game and enjoy being in so much control but I do see the problem.

I would love for them to remake one of the old ones but add all the new league rules and also things like feeder clubs. The game would be amazing then!

I would love for them to remake one of the old ones but add all the new league rules and also things like feeder clubs. The game would be amazing then!

I am 100% with you,give me the new features like 3d,all the data base up to date,the club being bought,etc,etc..but give me the old 00/01 ME and tactics...the perfect FM game IMO.

Gemmel has a point there. As you get older it's as if you don't want to get as sucked into the game anymore because that's not 'mature'. I'm 21 and i sort of feel that way.....well, whenever people are at home. When they're out, I'll happily put on my shirt and tie for cup finals, swear at players as if they've just came into my house and ****ed everywhere or even just sitting with a notepad designing new tactics or making lists of possible signings!

FM, I think at times, oversteps the mark regarding realism. The assistant advice screen, as handy as people may find it, isn't fun to use at all. If i wanted to be told what to do during a FM match i would just get my brother to come in an critique my FM style like he usually does. It's not fun to sit in a match and at the end of it go, ' Sweet, I won because i did everything the assistant said and not because i gave any useful input that involved thought.'

I like, when watching my team get dominated, to have to think for myself as to what way to change the team so that we can get back into the game as opposed to having to go into the assistants screen and see what he's got to say for himself.

Anyway back to topic reality, I do think FM has lost something but i can't quite put my finger on it. I'm going to give this years FM a real go to see how i enjoy it. If not it will be my last FM, as hard as that is to say because i've been playing management sims since the likes of player manager. :(

One thing which i do love about FM is bringing through the David Beckham etc. Feels great although it's annoying when you do pour alot of time into a player and end up with the next David May.

I know people have asked for difficulty levels in game before but I think SI would do well if they actually produced 2 versions this one for the hard core fans and a FMlite for people who like the match engine and transfer system/database but dont want to get bogged down constantly twiddling tactics and opposition instructions or wondering whether they should say pleased or disappointed when they are 3-0 up at half time.

I think there is a big market for people who just want to come home from work and relax for an hour or 2 with a bit of fantasy football rather than take on a 2nd job

I know people have asked for difficulty levels in game before but I think SI would do well if they actually produced 2 versions this one for the hard core fans and a FMlite for people who like the match engine and transfer system/database but dont want to get bogged down constantly twiddling tactics and opposition instructions or wondering whether they should say pleased or disappointed when they are 3-0 up at half time.

I think there is a big market for people who just want to come home from work and relax for an hour or 2 with a bit of fantasy football rather than take on a 2nd job

That's the market that Premier Manager, FIFA manager both go for.

I, personally would rather have them invest their time making one brilliant managerial game a year than perhaps getting distracted and making 2 ok ones.

yeah Pacman ain't the same either. It is called evolution and of course things that you loved "back in the day" will seem better than the current product that is in front of you. Heartshaped man hit on the head...it is nostalgia and the false belief that things that went well in your past are better than the current state.

10 years from now you will say that you wished things were like it was in 2009.

interesting replies guys...I have always played CM or FM since I was 16 or so ( I`m now 30 ) I`ve bought every version hoping it would feel like the earlier versions but it seems to go the other way each time. I don't feel anyway intouch with what I`m doing anymore, it feels like the stats really have no effect on how your team plays and the 3d engines are just so horrible. I just love how you can have an 18 paced attacker with very high dribbling skill break away from the defence but miraculously be caught by a defender with a 13 or 14, get my point. It seems stats have no bearing at all on the outcome of matches and the decisions some of your players make just frustrate me....I mean how many times does a player make a stupid decision in the 3d engine like playing simple balls to players that are in space not marked and no more than 20 yards away but instead hump it long to a player that will never in a million years recieve the ball..( heres where the die hards stick up for the game and say it's because their decision stat etc are not good enough lol ) my 5 year old son knows to play the simple passes....doesn't require intelligence does it.

I will say one thing though, maybe you are right with the age thing.

Archived