Champions League 1st Knockout Round

Hi all ...

Has anyone noticed the flaw in the Champions League 1st Knockout Round in FM09?

According to UEFA regulations, the team that wins the CL group will play the 1st Leg of the 1st Knockout Round Away, so that team (winner of the group) has the advantage of playing home in the 2nd Leg.

In my game, I won the group each time I played but I always started the 1st Knockout Round at home!!

Hope it will be adjusted in the next patch!

Sorry if it's already been posted somewhere else & I dont know about it .. I just dont have that much time available to search ... so please forgive me in advance if it's been tackled/mentioned already.

Is it possible that no-one has encountered this flaw?? Is it only me?

Because lots of posters have read my thread but nobody commented!!

Please let me know whether you've encountered this problem or not ... because now Im suspecting it happens only in my game!!!!

& by the way, I've got the 9.01 patch.

To be honest I'm not that attentive to certain detail and if it did happen to me I probably wouldn't have noticed - if it's not in the game I guess there's still a 50/50 chance of the game getting it right for people. I'll check my Liverpool save where I got to the semis when I get home.

is it me... or do the player's team ALWAYS has a group of death?

3rd season: my napoli team drew chelsea, ajax, betis.

in another game i drew something like that too..

Well ... I think it depends on the seedings tansrb, like in reality.

Napoli, with all due respect, have been missing from Europe for quite some time & therefore they're not 1st seeds for sure. Maybe 2nd or 3rd seeds I guess.

So since they're not 1st seeds, there is always the probability that they will be drawn in a tough group.

I play with Liverpool & since they're 1st seeds, usually, the group isn't that tough. So no, I disagree with you when you say that the player's team always has a group of death.

That's my opinion anyway :)

is it me... or do the player's team ALWAYS has a group of death?

3rd season: my napoli team drew chelsea, ajax, betis.

in another game i drew something like that too..

You call that group of death???

try having real madrid, arsenal and shaktar as Udinese....

don't know quite how i managed but got through first!!!! (won at home vs arsenal and 2-2 in england, lost at bernabeu but 0-0 home and beat shaktar twice,snuck first place tied at 11 with arsenal while the big guns lost points all over!!!)

Is it possible that no-one has encountered this flaw?? Is it only me?

Because lots of posters have read my thread but nobody commented!!

Please let me know whether you've encountered this problem or not ... because now Im suspecting it happens only in my game!!!!

& by the way, I've got the 9.01 patch.

I immediately noticed in my first season because I deem the advantage of playing home in the return leg very important. It's been raised in the bug forum a while ago and recognised by SI if I recall correctly. So don't worry, it's not just your game and might get fixed in the next patch (hopefully). To be honest it's a blatant error, the previous FM's had it right.

Do the rules change in the second year? Regarding qualification.

I just started the second season of a new savegame last night with Rangers and there are changes to BOTH Champions League and UEFA Cup.

The NEW 'two-route' qualifiers makes it very difficult for 4th team in English Premiership and runner-up in SPL to qualify for the group phase. Although if you play in one of the lower ranked nations you defo have an easier route through.

The UEFA Cup from season 2 also reflects all the changes in real-life, more groups etc., for anyone intersted

Archived