Making the game harder

I have a question for any FM developers and whatnot, or just people in the know.

What manner of barriers does the game have against a player becoming "too successful"? Are spells of "bad luck" a given? Hypothetically if someone plays the game at a top club tactically too perfection and makes all the right signings, says all the right things at the press conferences, praises the right players at the right time etc - what stops that player from winning every single game?

I'm not in the know, but I think making the game harder is left down to you. I don't think there are any hidden features that make things harder as you become more successful, ordinary games do this (Tiger Woods springs to mind), but in my experience not FM. If I find that i'm becoming too successful or having it too easy, I move to a smaller club or I use my own rules e.g. salary caps to add a bit of a challenge to the game.

Obviously there must be somewhere a kind of routine that limits the good results otherwise considering all the amount of players that play FM someone should have found a good way for sure to easily win.

It is programmed like MATRIX where sentinels and Mr. Smiths were made to prevent the revolution made my whomever act different.

It the best protection ever produced

No one will ever win, they all must have the impression to do that, human nature

Thanks for the replies.

I don't consider myself a great player of the game, but I've noticed now playing at a top club and performing very well in the league and all competitions -- suddenly I hit a run of 4 or 5 games in a row where I'm drawing or losing against inferior teams with my "clear cut chances" - sometimes even what look like open goals - and all other stats heavily in my favour. Not from any apparent personal problems with my players, just because. The opposing always seem to get a goal out of nowhere, and often a result of one massive individual blunder.

I wouldn't be critical of FM for having such a feature in place. I'm just wondering as it has caused me some frustration, and wonder whether it's not merely a case of tactical or other game blunders on my part, or even "bad luck" of the natural kind, which we may experience playing any kind of game.

There's luck in there, and also I believe PaulC (co-founder of SI) posted in here that a few variables couldn't be saved so "winning streaks" are likely to happen as long as you don't save...

Also, teams become aware of way to stop your tactic every 6 months. Unfortunately for me, this means hard tackling and delibarately taking players out with my tactic :(.

I what stops that player from winning every single game?

There are huge numbers of random numbers generated for events during a match. However good you are tactically etc it is still possible that you will lose a match, just like a top class team in real life can.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't consider myself a great player of the game, but I've noticed now playing at a top club and performing very well in the league and all competitions -- suddenly I hit a run of 4 or 5 games in a row where I'm drawing or losing against inferior teams with my "clear cut chances" - sometimes even what look like open goals - and all other stats heavily in my favour. Not from any apparent personal problems with my players, just because. The opposing always seem to get a goal out of nowhere, and often a result of one massive individual blunder.

I wouldn't be critical of FM for having such a feature in place. I'm just wondering as it has caused me some frustration, and wonder whether it's not merely a case of tactical or other game blunders on my part, or even "bad luck" of the natural kind, which we may experience playing any kind of game.

It could possibly be the motivation effect? As you say, your at a big club, which could motivate the lesser team? We've seen time and time again that upsets do happen!

There's luck in there, and also I believe PaulC (co-founder of SI) posted in here that a few variables couldn't be saved so "winning streaks" are likely to happen as long as you don't save...
This is interesting though I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Saving the game itself? What sort of variables do you mean? Winning streaks are more likely to happen if you don't save the game all the time? Would this mean that, conversely, if you are experiencing a bad run of form, that saving the game and then reloading it would make it more likely that your run of bad form would reverse?

Sorry if I'm not catching on fully...

It could possibly be the motivation effect? As you say, your at a big club, which could motivate the lesser team? We've seen time and time again that upsets do happen!
This seems plausible, but as I say, these are runs of games where my team is ostensibly playing well, by the stats, and creating many clear cut chances. Wouldn't low motivation mean my players will not play well and fail to create good chances in the first place?

Hope that makes sense...

This seems plausible, but as I say, these are runs of games where my team is ostensibly playing well, by the stats, and creating many clear cut chances. Wouldn't low motivation mean my players will not play well and fail to create good chances in the first place?

Hope that makes sense...

It makes sense, but look at Burnley v Arsenal last week, Arsenal kids battered Burnley really, creating a lot of chances but couldnt take them!

This is interesting though I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Saving the game itself? What sort of variables do you mean? Winning streaks are more likely to happen if you don't save the game all the time? Would this mean that, conversely, if you are experiencing a bad run of form, that saving the game and then reloading it would make it more likely that your run of bad form would reverse?

Sorry if I'm not catching on fully...

I think he means if you save and reload, im hoping so anyway as some people with unreliable rigs like me have to save at least every other game and id be mightily peeved if that was crippling my results.

I think if you want to be succsesful in FM09 you have to get your tactics to perfection... Adjusting them to your opponents weaknesses and to your strengths...

Have good staff..

Good players...

goood traing schedule..

say the right things in the press conferances...

praise your players at the right time Etc

Archived