New Champions League qualification format - in FM?

I'm glad I scraped 3rd place and not 4th in my first season in English Prem! CHeers for answering 4457

Lucky you. My task is made worse by the fact that I don't actually have any club home-grown players. ZERO out of four needed. I'm in trouble.

I'm very happy the new system is implemented in FM09. I only managed a 3rd spot with Man United in the first season and to my surprise I didn't have to play an extra qualification match! :D

I applaud the new system, it's time the CL lives up to its name again: a league for champions, be it gold, silver or bronze champions. Teams that at least manage a decent title challenge. There was none of that when Liverpool or Milan won it. It will have massive financial implications, but the clubs will just have to learn to adapt. There's been too much money floating around in the big leagues and I don't think it's a healthy situation anymore. Some may call Platini anti-England, but this should be a good change for European football.

I like the idea.. although I am a bit worried for Arsenal lol. Then again this season I am slightly worried they wouldnt even get 4th anyway!

So does this come into effect based on how the teams finish this year and will take effect in the 09/10 champions league season?

Or does it start for the domestic league standings in 09/10 so comes into effect in the champions league 10/11?

If that makes sense at all...

Archived