Playing their natural game

I have noticed a swing in recent FM and CM games where micro-management of players and formations is taking over. What ever happened to letting players play their natural game? For instance if I decide to play a 4-4-2 formation but like 2 contrasting strikers (e.g. Torres and Keane) why do I need to fiddle about clicking a slider to set attacking or creative freedom, when these players should naturally do what they do best. I would like to be able to put a player in a position and the sliders will default to that player’s natural preference unless I specify otherwise.

Because then other gamers would complain that their players are not doing what they tell them to. Give them high creative freedom, same as a real manager would if you want them to do whatever they feel like.

But if you think Benitez doesn't micro-manage his players' every move, then you probably never saw Robbie Keane play at Tottenham. He was quite good, if you remember. Since Benitez has given him a different role - changing his game, micro-managing him if you like - he has scored how many? It's had a backwards effect.

I played as Newcastle my first game on FM09 and had a fairly successful season, qualifying for Europe in 7th, but lost some of my better players and replaced them with technically superior ones (brought in Adriano and Carracciolo) but they couldn't score for toffee. I started using Carracciolo as a target man and got Adriano to use the channels more, and now I'm flying. I give Adriano higher creative freedom than Carraciola and it works a treat.

It's just about having your players in their best positions, playing the game that suits them best. Slightly tweaked standard tactics works best for me, but there are a lot of options.

Because then other gamers would complain that their players are not doing what they tell them to. Give them high creative freedom, same as a real manager would if you want them to do whatever they feel like.

But if you think Benitez doesn't micro-manage his players' every move, then you probably never saw Robbie Keane play at Tottenham. He was quite good, if you remember. Since Benitez has given him a different role - changing his game, micro-managing him if you like - he has scored how many? It's had a backwards effect.

I played as Newcastle my first game on FM09 and had a fairly successful season, qualifying for Europe in 7th, but lost some of my better players and replaced them with technically superior ones (brought in Adriano and Carracciolo) but they couldn't score for toffee. I started using Carracciolo as a target man and got Adriano to use the channels more, and now I'm flying. I give Adriano higher creative freedom than Carraciola and it works a treat.

It's just about having your players in their best positions, playing the game that suits them best. Slightly tweaked standard tactics works best for me, but there are a lot of options.

good post ....10 chars

its not so much Benitez micro managing as Keane having a VERY low adaptability stat....he just needs time to gel and feel at home. Remember his italian fiasco...same thing. Problem is that Liverpool quite simply don't have the time to wait for him to 'switch on'.....call it what you will, but at £20 mil he was a huge waste of money imo. Silly benitez.

I wish the slider settings were player-specific and not position specific. If you have a striker with high creativity, you probably are always going to have him be more creative than one that has a low creativity. I think that would be a much better implementation than hard-wiring it to the position.

I wish the slider settings were player-specific and not position specific. If you have a striker with high creativity, you probably are always going to have him be more creative than one that has a low creativity. I think that would be a much better implementation than hard-wiring it to the position.

Surely the players attributes should determine how creative they are - not a slider. Specifically how creative they are - i see 20 as being very creative, not very good at being creative (subtle difference)

Surely the players attributes should determine how creative they are - not a slider. Specifically how creative they are - i see 20 as being very creative, not very good at being creative (subtle difference)

The slider controls how much leeway you are willing to give the player as the manager. Just because the player is potentially a good creative player (a high creativity rating), that doesn't necessarily mean you want him to be free lancing all the time.

The slider controls how much leeway you are willing to give the player as the manager. Just because the player is potentially a good creative player (a high creativity rating), that doesn't necessarily mean you want him to be free lancing all the time.

Doesn't the fact he has a creativity rating of 20 mean he will NATURALLY be creative? Or more importantly, should it? e.g. player A has creativity of 15 and I set his creative freedom to 8 clicks. Player B has creativity of 20 and I set his creative freedom to 5 clicks. Who is the more creative?

Doesn't the fact he has a creativity rating of 20 mean he will NATURALLY be creative? Or more importantly, should it? e.g. player A has creativity of 15 and I set his creative freedom to 8 clicks. Player B has creativity of 20 and I set his creative freedom to 5 clicks. Who is the more creative?

Player A will free lance more often since you are instructing him to utilize his creative ability more often. When either player decides to try something creative, player B will have a higher chance of success since he has the higher creativity rating.

Removing the creativity slider might make sense when looking at extremes, but it doesn't make sense when you look at more common scenarios. You probably don't want to limit a 20 creativity guy all that much no matter what position he plays, what league your in, or what type of tactics your run. But if you are playing in League 2 and you have an MC with a creativity rating of 10 and he has some solid other playmaking abilities, you might want to up his creativity above what it might be set to in your scenario. On the flip side, if you have a 10 creativity player in the Prem that has other solid playmaking attributes, you probably want him to play more of a straightforward game.

Just because he has the stat doesnt mean he will use it unless you instruct him to. Lets use a different example (I know this is completely different but its the same idea).

My DC might have 20 for free kicks, but does it mean he will take them unless I ask him to?

Its the same with your example, Keane may be creative but If I was the manager he will do what the bloody hell I tell him to!! :)

Mac, I suspect you can do reasonably well with a good team and most individual instructions right on the mid-point, or left to "team" .. then setting team Mentality, Passing, Tempo, Defensive Line, Width, and Time Wasting to match the tactical situation.

This is especially true if you focus transfers on your players' Mental attributes, especially Decisions, Anticipation, Team Work, Work Rate, Determination, and Creativity.

Archived