Bugs/Problems/Mistakes in FMH 2009

So that SI dont have to go through all the posts etc and have the chance of missing some peoples problems I thought it would be good if everyone posted all the problems they have found with fmh 09 so that si have a list of things the HAVE to get right for next year. . . .

This is not for ideas for 2010 its for things from 09 people want fixed.

1. It is almost impossible to get of of the top 4 jobs in England.

2. The MULTIPLE problems in the scottish part of the game.

3. Clubs rejecting transfer / loan offers for players on the loan list / transfer list. Saying they dont want to sell the player when you enquire about them even thought they are transfer listed.

4. The database has to be fixed to solve the missing players problems, I know this is the 1st attempt at multiple leagues etc but has to be better next year I think.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is absoloutely NOT impossible to get the big jobs in england.

I have had the Chelsea job and after I left I had Liverpool offer me the job 3 or 4 times without me even applying.

You just have to have an amazing reputation in the game, you won't get one of the jobs in the first few seasons but as more of the more famous managers retire it becomes more likely.

It is absoloutely NOT impossible to get the big jobs in england.

I have had the Chelsea job and after I left I had Liverpool offer me the job 3 or 4 times without me even applying.

You just have to have an amazing reputation in the game, you won't get one of the jobs in the first few seasons but as more of the more famous managers retire it becomes more likely.

Yep, I've gotten the Liverpool job and was offered the Man Utd job whilst at Liverpool

The contract expiry system is still broken. it's way too easy to sign awesome players for free on the 1st Jan every year. I got walcott, mancienne, ben foster, mauro zarate and jack rodwell in the first couple of seasons as tottenham. They seem to have introduced some compensation system for young british players but it's still not right and spoils the game quite a lot for me!

The contract expiry system is still broken. it's way too easy to sign awesome players for free on the 1st Jan every year. I got walcott, mancienne, ben foster, mauro zarate and jack rodwell in the first couple of seasons as tottenham. They seem to have introduced some compensation system for young british players but it's still not right and spoils the game quite a lot for me!

the compensation system has allways being there. Its called the bosman ruling where if the player is under 23 you have a to pay a compensation fee for the player to his former club.

the compensation system has allways being there. Its called the bosman ruling where if the player is under 23 you have a to pay a compensation fee for the player to his former club.

I know that, it's just that in real life this system almost never gets used on high profile players as clubs don't allow their good players to get anywhere near the final 6 months of their contracts unless they are unhappy (Heskey, Ballack, Sidwell). The transfer system was very similar in a couple of old versions of FM or even CM on the PC but they managed to fix it so i don't really see how it has slipped back in!

Also while i'm haveing a rant the new 2d system is pretty awful. i have random things that make no sense happening all the time and most of my goals don't look like any team moves i've ever seen.

Having said that i still enjoy playing the game, i just hoped for a little more progress from the last version

I know that, it's just that in real life this system almost never gets used on high profile players as clubs don't allow their good players to get anywhere near the final 6 months of their contracts unless they are unhappy (Heskey, Ballack, Sidwell). The transfer system was very similar in a couple of old versions of FM or even CM on the PC but they managed to fix it so i don't really see how it has slipped back in!

Also while i'm haveing a rant the new 2d system is pretty awful. i have random things that make no sense happening all the time and most of my goals don't look like any team moves i've ever seen.

Having said that i still enjoy playing the game, i just hoped for a little more progress from the last version

i know what you mean. On my game arsenal always like walcott contract expire and never offer him a new one.

On July 1st just AFTER the new season initiated on some date back in June (updated stats, expectations, etc.), I've decided to loan a player from another team for the upcoming season. The loan is accepted and the new player joins my team. Then when I hit continue on July 3rd, it seems as if the game thinks it needs to initiate the new season a second time. It shows a status window reading: updating player statistics, etc. but it is much shorter than normal. Afterwards, the loan deal which I had completed is now undone i.e. the player is not on my squad.

Upon testing this situation further by reverting back to July 1st, I noticed that when I click on my team and then transfers, it shows the transfers from the previous season still listed even though I had already initiated a new season. Furthermore, upon attempting to sign two new players to a loan on July 1st, I was informed on July 2nd that the 2nd loan fell through because I had already loaned 4 players this season. (I had loaned 3 players already on the previous season). Once July 3rd rolls around and the mini update occurs again, the loan is again undone and when clicking on my team and then transfers, it now shows an empty list. After the July 3rd mini season update, I can now loan up to 4 players and everything seems to be back to normal, but I just wanted to report this since something clearly isn't right with the game doing two season initiations a few days apart.

How can you declare the above situation not a bug? Let's say in real life, Manchester United setup a loan deal for Samuel Etoo. The deal is accepted and Etoo joins Manchester United on July 1st. Then on July 3rd, inexplicably, Etoo returns to Barcelona... no explanation. Nothing except a record in the player's history that he was loaned out and neither Manchester United nor Barcelona have a problem with this. Are you sure we shouldn't let a developer maybe chime in on this one? Game mechanics are one thing, but undoing a deal in this manner looks like a (fixable) bug to me.

• SI Staff
How can you declare the above situation not a bug? Let's say in real life, Manchester United setup a loan deal for Samuel Etoo. The deal is accepted and Etoo joins Manchester United on July 1st. Then on July 3rd, inexplicably, Etoo returns to Barcelona... no explanation. Nothing except a record in the player's history that he was loaned out and neither Manchester United nor Barcelona have a problem with this. Are you sure we shouldn't let a developer maybe chime in on this one? Game mechanics are one thing, but undoing a deal in this manner looks like a (fixable) bug to me.

It sounds very much like it could be a bug - consider it on the list to be looked into (and thanks a lot for the info as its the first time I've heard about this one - constructive feedback is always appreciated).

How is it that when a player reach's the age of around 33 on FMH09 he loses the ability to walk around the pitch let alone run?

Im in my 10th season and looking around at the 32+ year old players, i.e Robiho (33), David Villa (36), Torres (33) Tevez (33) Rooney (32) and hundreds more, their stamina and strength are in the low reds, most even at 1!!

This has never been a problem on previous versions, on every football Manager game iv ever had iv always had one vetran striker on the bench who can change a game and nick a goal with his experience but on this game their physical attributes are v.poor.

I have a question, on editor i want to put Preußen Münster in German Third Division so i put Wuppertaler SV in Regional Division WEst and it failed. But With any team of Regional Division North and South it's okay why??

Shortlist - When I go to the shortlist I can't go to next page or press O and rotate through options without having to go back a screen (L1) then return (R1).

Bosmans - Sometimes, when I offer conracts to players they agree to join in the Summer. When Summer transfer window opens they don't join as their contracts have been extended, but they are still going to join your club when their new contract expires.

International players - I was recently the Croatian Manager and I could not call up a player with just Croatian nationality when there was space in the squad. He wasn't retired from International football so are some players just unavailable?

The fact that its so hard to score in matches this really lets the game down for me. It happened in the first 2 games and so i said to myself i wouldn't be buying it anymore then this year my brother got it me for christmas and guess what its impossible to score.

Has nobody else had the issue I have just encountered on starting my first game on FMH 2009? I started with Woking in the Conference, and my first team squad had three grey players in it, all with far better attributes than my 'real' players of course. So far, so irritating. But not only that, every time I press continue, the three players have changed names and some of their attributes. I can't sell, release or demote them.

these players are regens who are basically there to make up numbers. They are randomly generate to fill up the smaller squads. You cannot sign them but you can play them.

If you signed more players for your club then they would go away.

these players are regens who are basically there to make up numbers. They are randomly generate to fill up the smaller squads. You cannot sign them but you can play them.

Do you mean if I signed enough players to fill the 36-player (is it 36?) limit? Or just a few players to give me a workable squad size?

As far as them simply being regens, I understand that, BUT:

(a) Why do their names and attributes change every time I press 'continue' - ? This is clearly a bug, and a pretty poor one :(

(b) it really screws with any sense of realism when I have players with amazing attributes who I can select but aren't real - they don't get paid, have a profile, history, nothing. I wish they at least had realistic attributes for my level of football so I could just completely ignore them, but the temptation is to play them when they are better than almost all my other players.

It's really, really off-putting.

Its not a bug,there just players to fill a couple of places up until you buy some players.

You dont pay them any wages( i dont think) thats why they dont stay very long.Its not normally when you press continue its normally every few games or an injured player returns that they change.

If you agree to sell a player but change the date to the end of the season and then leave the club the player stays with the club forever with "is looking forward to joining X" for their whole career.

Has happened to me 3 times now, it's annoying because I would have rather liked to sign the players for my new clubs but they are stuck at the old clubs and can't leave.

Do you mean if I signed enough players to fill the 36-player (is it 36?) limit? Or just a few players to give me a workable squad size?

As far as them simply being regens, I understand that, BUT:

(a) Why do their names and attributes change every time I press 'continue' - ? This is clearly a bug, and a pretty poor one :(

(b) it really screws with any sense of realism when I have players with amazing attributes who I can select but aren't real - they don't get paid, have a profile, history, nothing. I wish they at least had realistic attributes for my level of football so I could just completely ignore them, but the temptation is to play them when they are better than almost all my other players.

It's really, really off-putting.

36 is the limit but you dont need 36 to get rid of all the regens. I have 20 players in my stafford rangers team and no regens.

(a)to your other question i havent noticed that there names change everytime you press continue becuase i rarely have a very small squad.

(b)now what you meanabout them having good stats because ive played non league teams in the cup before eg bath and there regens are better than my first teamers.

Its not a bug,there just players to fill a couple of places up until you buy some players.

You dont pay them any wages( i dont think) thats why they dont stay very long.Its not normally when you press continue its normally every few games or an injured player returns that they change.

Well it's clearly a bug that their names etc change repeatedly. And for me, I haven't even played a game, I'm still prior to my first pre-season friendly and their names change EVERY time I press continue. And even though their actual presence in my squad is not a bug, it's very poor that they have far superior attributes to the rest of my squad and that I cannot just get rid of them as I would prefer to do. I'd still have 17 players without them, that's fair enough.

It's just spoiled all realism from the moment I began the game :(

It's not a bug!!! The go when you buy players right? So, why should they stay there when you change screen?

When you go back to the team screen, the game will, again, fill the spaces!

Riiiiight... so I pick one of them on Saturday, let's call him Leon Miller. Then for my Tuesday game my player Leon Miller has morphed into an entirely different guy. Nahhh, not a bug, perfectly logical....

ive just signed Ibrahimovic on a Bosman in January the deal will go through in June. I played the game up until june and he still hadnt signed, when i checked his contract expiry date he had signed a new 4 year contract up to 2016 but in his profile it still says he is looking forward to joining my club!

Now either ive broke the rules and signed a 4 year bosman deal or there could be a slight bug, i noticed his contract renewed after the new season update.

Anyone else had this? can anyone from SI explain?

It is perfectly logical for everyone apart from you,they are not your players so they are not going to stay on your team.

Maybe I'm not explaining this simply enough. These players are in my squad. They have contracts til 2013 apparently (though no wages, ha). I UNDERSTAND they are regens added to my squad by the game because it's a small squad, that is arguably fair enough - but if they're regens added to my squad, they should simply stay the same player until they disappear once I have enough bodies.

The way things stand, you are slapped in the face with an occurrence that is blatantly a piece of computer-game silliness, and the realism is spoiled from day one.

ive just signed Ibrahimovic on a Bosman in January the deal will go through in June. I played the game up until june and he still hadnt signed, when i checked his contract expiry date he had signed a new 4 year contract up to 2016 but in his profile it still says he is looking forward to joining my club!

Now either ive broke the rules and signed a 4 year bosman deal or there could be a slight bug, i noticed his contract renewed after the new season update.

Anyone else had this? can anyone from SI explain?

Anybody from SI?

Maybe I'm not explaining this simply enough. These players are in my squad. They have contracts til 2013 apparently (though no wages, ha). I UNDERSTAND they are regens added to my squad by the game because it's a small squad, that is arguably fair enough - but if they're regens added to my squad, they should simply stay the same player until they disappear once I have enough bodies.

The way things stand, you are slapped in the face with an occurrence that is blatantly a piece of computer-game silliness, and the realism is spoiled from day one.

I understand what you are saying, I think we should just have a couple of school boys or something like that. I think the main problem is that these players are far too good.

• SI Staff
Has nobody else had the issue I have just encountered on starting my first game on FMH 2009? I started with Woking in the Conference, and my first team squad had three grey players in it, all with far better attributes than my 'real' players of course. So far, so irritating. But not only that, every time I press continue, the three players have changed names and some of their attributes. I can't sell, release or demote them.

These fake players are 'fillers' for squads who are short of players they should be 'worse' than your normal standard of player (so I'll look into that).

SI has always used this approach in our games - however going forward I could probably make next years game general some 'fake' players to place into your squad instead of grey players at the start of the game (only - ie. if you depleted your squad during normal play you'd still get 'grey' players).

Opinions?

These fake players are 'fillers' for squads who are short of players they should be 'worse' than your normal standard of player (so I'll look into that).

SI has always used this approach in our games - however going forward I could probably make next years game general some 'fake' players to place into your squad instead of grey players at the start of the game (only - ie. if you depleted your squad during normal play you'd still get 'grey' players).

Opinions?

I prefer the greyed out players,just make them worse then the proper players

Noted as something to look into (apologies - but won't be able to until a fair bit later* on as I'm in the middle of another task presently).

*ie. weeks not hours

No problem Marc, just thought id let you know, appreciate feedback when you get round to it

I made a new thread about this but have been asked by Ridley to add it to this one instead.

Bugs/Design Flaws brought into 2009 from previous versions:

During contract negotiations, you can give a player as large a signing on fee and/or goal/assist bonus as you like at effectively no cost (allowing you to reduce his weekly wage). These bonuses are not reflected in any way in your transfer kitty or wage structure. This has always been the case, as far as I can remember, in every PSP version of FM. I always give the largest bonuses I can in order to attract the best players possible while keeping my wage budget in check. This should not be possible without consequence.

Crash bug I have experienced with (I think) every PSP FM where PSP sometimes just resets with no warning. I am sure this has not happened with any other PSP game.

Scouts giving more detailed info about players from other clubs than your coaches give you about your own players (loyalty, determination, nerves under pressure, good at taking corners, free-kicks, penalties etc.). Staying on scouts, why is it that a UK & Ireland search turns up nothing, but when I look for myself using the Player Search feature, I find loads of suitable players? And as for coaches, why are they not able to tell you who the best set-piece takers in your squad are? They can rate any players "Decision Making Ability" out of twenty, but can't tell you which foot they are stronger with?

Going back breifly to the Player Search feature - the "Interested" criterion. There are many players you CAN attract to your club that are filtered out by this. Surely the point of such a criterion 'tick box' is to save you the trouble of going through transfer and contract negotiations for every player within your price range in order to find gems? Unfortunately, this is what you have to do. Scouts should be doing this for you.

New bugs I have experienced only in 2009:

As a BSP manager, I have been very active in the transfer market, and by the end of the January transfer window in my first season I have an almost completely new squad. However, one of my transfers, which will be completed at the end of the season (2nd May), seems to have malfunctioned in some way. I have received an e-mail (subject: "Lewes set to buy Fisher") on the morning of every game-day since terms were agreed with the player (months ago), notifying me that "The transfer of Oxford's Alex Fisher to Lewes is set to be completed. The transfer will go through on the 2nd May 2009.".

EVERY DAY.

I wish to add my dislike for the greyed out reserve players to the others in this thread (they are too good) but also the bug whereby you lose and gain new greayed out players every time you press continue (I also noticed that this happens if you go into the tactics screen, view your opponents tactics, and then go back to your squad screen). I appreciate what people are saying about how they are not YOUR players, so why would they stick around? They have no contract, so you can't actually demand that they turn up for training or a match. Fair enough. But then what are they doing there in the first place? Sure, it's nice for you the manager that it's impossible to be caught short in the middle of the transfer window, it doesn't matter that you've sold three strikers and your replacement transfers have been delayed until after your important cup tie. That's nice. But unrealistic. The only way it would be realistic is if these players are genuine reserve players or youth team players. In which case you should be able to sign them permenantly. But they are still way too good (at least for lower-league teams).

The problems with the 2D match engine have been addressed by others in previous threads, so I won't go into that here, suffice to say that it seems to expose problems with the text-based match engine. Oh dear. The wonderful engine that has been the driving force of the series for almost 2 decades now. I thought this had been "perfected"?

I have made enquires for players, been told that his club will accept an offer in the reigon of x thousand pounds. I offer x+2 thousand pounds ('cause I'm a nice guy). Rejected. Ok(!)

I read in the news section that Wes Brown is annoyed that Sir Alex has seemingly forgotten about him (2 appearances all season), and then by the evening of that same game-day, he is relieved to be back in the first team, and will strive to keep his place (no game has taken place).

I also read in the news section that the Sevilla manager, talking about the title race, expects to be there or there abouts, despite being 17 or so points behind Barcalona with more than half the season gone. Yeah right.

I am told that one of my players (Jari Litmanen playing for Lewes - another bug?!) took part in an international friendly, but when I look at his History page, it has not recorded his performance.

In a seperate game (which I lost due to the 'automatic reset' I mentioned above), two of my league matches were postponed due to international call ups, even though neither me nor either of my league opponents had any international players.

Archived