How often do you change clubs...

Recently I've been getting a number of job offers from Italian and Spanish clubs who for some reason believe that quoting some £20 million budget and a bunch of crap about their club will make me leave my beloved title challenging Rams...

Then the thought occured to me about the offer from Lazio a few seasons earlier, when the Rams were just another midtable club and I was praying for a budget that wasn't expressed in numbers of week old sandwiches. Lazio, apparently wanted me as their new manager... This was apparently not told to the still incumbent manager Delio Rossi. I was offered a budget of £49.5 million which after my amazing £850k and £5.2 million budgets was seeming rather tempting. At the end of the day however, I decided it would be better to remain at Derby and continue to build, which has since payed off, but still, thinking back, if it wasn't for my mindset, I probably would have gone to Lazio.

So the question I have is, how often does everyone change clubs?

Since FM06 I have gotten into this rythm:

Game start:

- 2-3 years at a club with a Danish club reputation

- 1-3 years at a bigger club than a Danish side

- when I finally am at a big club (e.g. Premiership, La Liga, Ligue 1...) I usually stay at least 4-5 years so I can build a team with super regens :)

i sometimes play a 'journeymen game' i currently have 39 leagues running, started at ajax (clicked random team) after 2 years, i had won 2 leages, 1 cup and a UEFA cup, i left and went to lazio, was bored after a season so i went to seville, didnt like it after 4 months i joined river plate, 2 seasons later, with 1 league and cup, i went to Vasco, won the league and went to Derby in league one, took them back to prem in 5 years, then went to Albion Rovers in Scottish 2nd, got them to SPL, finished 5th and 4th, then got bored and loaded the same leagues and started with Newcastle, only a few weeks in though....

In the 25 years i played in 08 i had about 12 clubs..started out unemployed so i left my first 4 (Spartak Ryazan(Rus), Messinense(Por), Asmundtorp(Swe) and Motala AIF(Swe)) clubs rather soon until i became manager of Bromley... there i stayed for about 4 seasons when i moved to Exeter..stayed there 3 seasons then moved to young Boys in Swi..stayed there 3 years... moved to Racing Club in Argentina...stayed half a year, wen to Racing Genk in Belgium for a season then went to Hull City for a season... then moved to hearts to save them from relegation in half a year and my last club was Olympqiue Lyon where i stayed a long time cause i wanted to build a European Super club... too bad 09 came out then :p

In FM2007 i started the game in the Belgian third division as Oostende (my previous hometown). In two seasons time i took them to the first division. In my third season i became champion in Belgium. I got soon felt, i couldn't take the game any further. I was defeated in the Champions League qualification round and the chairman kept selling my best youngsters for too little cash, so I was soon demotivated and started applying for other clubs. Paris SG was struggling at that moment and Sinisa Mihajlovic was under pressure. I declared interest and they soon fired him and offered me the job :)

PSG was bottom of the league after 5 or six games and I still managed to win the League 1. The following two years I had to build a new team and had to give back the scepter to Lyon. In my fourth season I became champion again. I went on to win it 7 times in 9 years and won the champions league in 2015, lost the final against Besiktas in 2016 and won the CL again in 2020 and 2021. I quit the game in 2022 and started playing FM2009. The main reason why I stayed with PSG was that my chairman never sold players over my head and because i couldn't distance myself from the players that I had nurtured to become starts.

FM2009: started playing with Como in the serie C2/A. Became champion in my first season. Now I'm fourth in in the serie C1/A after 3 games played. I'm sure I won't stay at Como though as they don't have the potential to become a mayor European team.

I stay at the club 5-7 years, usually big clubs, so when I have a great squad, which is quite young and lots of money it starts to get boring and I change clubs - usually fallen giants. In FM08 I took Liverpool on 20th position (midseason) in Championship and lead them to Champions league glory...

So far in my 2nd season with Hull and i've had about 5 or so job offers... Bolton, Middlesbrough, Fiorentina, Osasuna and I think another Spanish side. Turned them all down though, i'm not a big fan of switching clubs. But my club loyality still continues to go down.

Well, if I was unfortunate enough to find myself at Hull and was lucky enough for Fiorentina, one of my favourite clubs, to come calling then I'd pack up my belongings and get on the first plane out there :D (Currently managing Scunthorpe so have developed a very strong rivalry with our neighbours across the Humber!)

In 08 I moved clubs a few times, but I always saved the game under a different name before I accepted the other clubs offer. I'm glad I did, because none of my new clubs ever lived up to expectations and I always ended up reverting to my original save. IMO moving clubs can ruin a save.

Aye, I resigned from Kilmarnock after 9 wonderful seasons (in terms of enjoyment, it took us 8 of those before we actually won anything!) in FM07 then went through a serious of nomadic jobs, staying 6 months in each and never putting down any roots. The only reason I continued the game was because I had numerous other managers active in the same save and I couldn't bring myself to just retire my old Killie manager (not least because he was also managing the Scottish national team!)

depends how i am feeling, on 09 i have literally been at a new club each year, however just starting my second season now at heerenveen so i might stick this one out a bit until im offered a big job!!

In 08 though has an amazing 4 years at sunderland which included the premiership title, league cup, fa cup, charity shield and uefa cup b4 Chelsea came in for me, However i lost interest after my move and ended up startin a new game! :-(

If I'm playing as Leeds, never. I like them to be long-term games and manage them as high as I can go and until I get bored or sacked. Then start again.

When I start as a club with whom I have no emotional attachment I'll move if I've won a lot, but only to a better club. If I get sacked and can't get a job at an equal or better club I'll quit and start a new game.

Sometimes I'll play as unemployed and move as much as I can, if that's my objective at the start.

i tend to change jobs when i get bored or feel i have achieved all i can.

That tends to happen on average of about 4-5 years.

Once in a career save i signed as a interim manager for 6 months at two different clubs.

But mainly i do tend to stick with clubs in the long run.

Never.

In all of the Champ Manager/FM games i have only ever been Rangers.

I couldnt bear to to be anybody else, although i have thought about it the odd time when i have won 3 titles in a row (i have never been passed season 4 in any of the games).

If i were to change club it would only be:

Everton or Man.City (bot not now they have all the cash)

Juventus in Italy

Atletico Madrid in Spain

Whenever I start a new game I always say to myself I am going to try to work my way to a top club, however if I'm successful at a club I find it too hard to leave as I have assembled a good team and don't want to leave my players behind. Now in my 5th season and turning down job offers to try and guide St Pauli into the Uefa cup :).

Whenever I start a new game I always say to myself I am going to try to work my way to a top club, however if I'm successful at a club I find it too hard to leave as I have assembled a good team and don't want to leave my players behind. Now in my 5th season and turning down job offers to try and guide St Pauli into the Uefa cup :).

The only thing worse than leaving a club you have built up from nothing, is watching the AI destroy it within two weeks.

In the CM days I never changed clubs, I think it was CM4 the first one I actually changed a club, I like to build my team and I feel really bad leaving all that behind.

In the FM era though I found that it's actually pretty fun changing clubs and accept new challenges. I never stay less than 2 years and I only change clubs when I met the challenge that I set to myself at that specific club.

It also depends on how big is the club I start with. If it's a big club, I usually get bored fast, if it's a smaller one, I obviously have more challenge.

Currently I'm in the second season with Wolves in FM09, I think I have few more years with them :)

When I feel I have accomplished all I can at a club or when I have won everything there is to win or when I get fired, depending on what comes first. I'm usually very loyal to the team I join as I like to see how the investments I've done is working out in the future.

In my proper careers games I start in BSN/BSS or at the lowest possible level abroad but I have no scruples whatsoever about jumping ship from any club if I think it will further my career, either by moving up the league pyramid or by giving me extra resources to acheieve my goals. In my current game, I moved from Alfreton 2nd season to Cambridge, got them promoted 3rd season back into L2. Had I been offered the Walsall job at this point, which I was touted for, I would have taken it in a heartbeat.

The only difficult moment was when some numbnuts (namely Harry Dunn, current manager of Blyth) had got Darlington relegated from L2 last season. Darlo rightly sacked him and, as Darlo is listed as my favourite club, offered me the job. Had it been a sideways step (ie different club in the same division) I would have taken it, but I couldnt justify a step back especially as BSP is such a git to get out of.

In my current save game i run the following leagues: England (League 2 and above), Italy (Serie B and above), Germany (2.Bundesliga and above) and Spain (Liga BBVA and above). Rest of the leagues all set to 'view only'. Running large database.

My aim is to win the top leauge and cup in each of the 4 countries and the champions leauge with a club from each of the 4 countires so i'll move jobs when i complete each aim in the nation i play in. When this is done i'll take a team from league 2 in England and get them to the top.

Archived