Taking an opportunity with both hands...

How great is it when I player you've lost confidence in, performs when you finally give him another chance!

I just love it when youngsters who are out of favour just take their opportunitys with both hands and run with it.

So my strikers have been completely out of form, and early in the season that included this kid. I'd been racking my brain what to do... I decided I needed to get Henry in (on trial), my scouts though he was rubbish, but watching the reserves play told me otherwise...

...until he went down in a heap. Out for a month, terminated his trial then and there. So I've then moved onto experimenting with other players in the squad, with very limited success...

Then, I decided to just give the kid another run as my top striker was now upto 1000 minutes without a goal! BAM! He takes his chances, and downs the form team in the competition and my Nemisis from FM 2008, Reading with a hattrick!

The next question is obviously; Can he keep it up?

Well, he managed to score and should have had a second. It also looks like he's about to get a much longer run, as my main man, and only striker over 23 years of age is out for two months!

Yeah I love it when a player surprises me with a superb performance when you don't expect it in general.

A player who grabs his second (or first) chance with both hands always brings up a weak spot in me for future selections.

In case I have to choose between players to select for a match I always favor such a player above another.

In fm08 I had a newgen Italian striker that I picked up very cheap that ended up my main striker a few years later.

I scouted him with 2 different scouts for 5-6 matches and both advised me to only get him in last case.

My main target refused the contract and went to Everton instead and with only 1 day left in the transfer period I got a little concerned so I bought him.

I placed him in my reserves and wanted to give him some playing time later in the season.

He didn't score a single goal in 6 matches there but 2 of my strikers got injured so I had to use him as a sub.

Not sure why I did it anymore but during the match I substituted my main striker and he surprised me by scoring twice.

The whole season I used him as a sub with a occasional starter match and he scored 10 or so goals.

The next season I gave him much more playing time and again he scored 10+ goals, on top of that his finishing and composure stats both improved a lot and with 16 pace he started to look pretty decent.

I offered him a improved contract that he almost immediately accepted and my name appeared in his favorite person list.

Since then I had him as my main striker for many seasons.

On occasion when I thought he was loosing his form he always scored.

I fired both my scouts when their contract ran out btw. :D

Then fm09 came out but this player was probably the biggest reason I stayed at the same team for 8 seasons, because I normally jump ship after 4-5 seasons.

Archived