Can I have my CM 01/02 disk replaced?

Just found it after days of looking for it. But it's all scratched up and I'm not able to install the game. Is there anywhere I can send it to have it replaced with a working disk?

I have had discs replaced for a £5 fee before, but that hasn't been 7 year old games.

Just found it after days of looking for it. But it's all scratched up and I'm not able to install the game. Is there anywhere I can send it to have it replaced with a working disk?

I have had discs replaced for a £5 fee before, but that hasn't been 7 year old games.

At the risk of making assumptions, probably not. Best to look on Ebay, or perhaps ask on Craigslist or something to borrow a disc and use your own CD Key.

No cd-keys on cm01/02 , it was disk in drive protection.

Bloody hell, I remember that now. One of my CM disks broke, literally shattering inside a dodgy CD-ROM drive. I had to go out and buy another of each just to play. Thank god for Steam.

You've given me an idea butters ..

Going to rummage through my old CM disks and find all those wonderful background pics that made the early versions so immersive. :D:thup:

There are so many great shots on the CM9798 disc, but they're all in really rubbish grainy quality - my first encounter with PNGs was not a good one. PNGs for photos, what were you thinking, SI? :D

You've given me an idea butters ..

Going to rummage through my old CM disks and find all those wonderful background pics that made the early versions so immersive. :D:thup:

hehe. Found lots of the old ones. I have bought all but the very first Championship manager released in 92. (and none of the non-SI CM's)

Bought CM 93 for amiga, and a 94 update disk. Then I even bought a PC just for CM2 :D , since it was not released for Amiga or Atari ST(E).

They all look like crap though (cd's). Don't think any of them are installable.

a popular high street gaming shop (one of the two basically. not sure if i can say which) used to do a thing where they could fix scratched cd's for a small price. it can only be done once to any cd so dont keep scratchin it. if you want the name of which shop it is then pm me.

Well, I know about those, but there is no-one doing that anywhere near where I live. You can buy home repair kits for £50 to. You have no idea how scratched up the disk is. It has been lying out of cover in a cardboard box with lots of other cd's also not in cover. So over the years it has really taken a beating.

Come to think of it I have always had my disc replaced by the publishers, not the devs. SO I guess I have to check with Eidos.

Also, it might be abandomware by now. Have to check that out.

SI don't deal with CM anymore, so if you want any official word on this you gotta go to Eidos, as they have the rights to CM

However your best bet is probably trying to find it second hand somewhere, I'm sure you want have to pay much to get a decent copy

OMG, I'm such a happy camper right now!

I downloaded the CD from a unnamed site, updated to 3.9.68 patch. Had to look a little bit around until I found it. Then tried to start the game, it asked my to insert the original CD.

So I placed my scratched up original in the drive, it was about to start then crashed.

tried to run the exe in Win98/ME compatabillity mode and it frickin started!!!!!

Hurray!

OMG, I'm such a happy camper right now!

I downloaded the CD from a unnamed site, updated to 3.9.68 patch. Had to look a little bit around until I found it. Then tried to start the game, it asked my to insert the original CD.

So I placed my scratched up original in the drive, it was about to start then crashed.

tried to run the exe in Win98/ME compatabillity mode and it frickin started!!!!!

Hurray!

Screenshots or it never happened. :D

Wibble/wobble for those who haven't seen it. You had full control over the tactics.

You set up where each player would be depending on where the ball was and if you had the ball or not.

I have moved them really crazy here just to show you the freedom. The yellow square represent where the ball is at the time I want my players placed here

wibblewobblebf1.th.jpg

Wooah I couldn't be doing with that. It gives me flash backs. :)

CM 96 was the first one I had ..

I don't even remember how it is I got hold of a copy/became aware of the game either. Do you?

I read a review of CM93 in ST format (atari ST magazine) with lot's of screenshots and it blew me away. Ordered the game the next day!

For every major step in the Match engine they kind off limit our choices.

I really feel that for the next year they shouldn't add any more crappy features we have to do over and over again until we are about to fall asleep.

Many people have been quite annoyed with FM09's tactical setup aswell. Instead of all these sliders look back at CM 01/02 or 03/04 and let us design the tactics like we used to.

Let us set where we want the players to be placed in any given situation. (they may not make it there if you mess it up, but with this kind of tactical choses most people would be able to tune their tactics like they want.

I leave you with screenshots, for those who forgot and for those who never saw it, but most of all to the devs who forgot or lost their focus.

Yellow square represent where the ball is and you could set up where you wanted each player depending on the situation.

Overview:

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/8466/overviewbk1.jpg

Wibble (with ball) :

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/9265/wibble1ab4.jpg

Wobble (without ball) :

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9797/wobble1zf0.jpg

Crazy wobble just to show the freedom:

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4...ewobblebf1.jpg

Team instructions:

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/4416/teaminstog6.jpg

Personally I did not get on with the wibble/wobble tactics setup, I prefer the way that it is now, I also don't think that it is very realistic to be able to tell your players exactly where to be in every situation, can't see that that happens too much IRL if I am honest

It may give you more freedom to put players where you want them to be but IMO it makes things a little too easy

You tell them where you WANT them to be in any given situation. They might not make it there depending on pace, stamina, condition, positioning and so on.

I tell you that kind of setup is 10X closer to how Wenger and SAF instruct their players IRL than the damn sliders!

Ah memories....what a bloooming game that was.

I remember playing it on a pentium 166MHz with 16Mb of Ram. I must have been THE most patient child ever because it took me a lifetime to do a season and to be honest i didn't really do much except play matches and buy players.

Back on topic.....if you want a disc i'll sell you mine for £500

Charity shops are really good to get CM01/02 from. For some reason they always seem to have a copy. I bought my current copy of it from one up the road for £2 and there is another copy in a charity shop across the road from it for £3. Easier than messing with eBay.

Makes me want to get a copy of it again now.

Best version of the game IMO.

Had so much fun on CM01/02, spent countless hours on it.

I had the urge to play it lately, as well.

I don't think it works on Vista, though, sadly?

Archived