Player talks about FM in Oldham programme

Read this in Saturday's matchday programme, thought I'd type it up. :)

That's it, Reuben Hazell has decided he is not cut out for football management. "Too stressful," he expained "It's not for me, definitely."

How does he know? Well, he might still have a few good years left as a player but he has tried his hand at being in charge. Video boss that is! Hazell has been hooked, along with best mate Darren Byfield, on the PC game Football Manager.

He revealed: "We have been playing for about 10 years but four or five years on the version we are on now. It started with five of us playing against each other on the internet. We each picked a team out of the hat which were near enough the same quality, Middlesbrough, Tottenham, Aston Villa, West Ham and Sunderland."

Little brother Franklyn resigned, cousin Rohan got sacked, leaving the two Latics players and cousin Abebe.

"We are addicted to the game and are now in our 26th season. It's great fun and oh, so addictive."

Hazell heads Aston Villa, Byfield West Ham and Abebe Spurs. They are battling to win the most league titles and Champions Leagues.

Hazell went on: "Me and Darren argue about it every day and I mean every day. He thinks his team are better than mine, by the way he is bottom out of us at the moment with just three leagues won. We play four to five hours a day, easily. And that is most days. It does get us in trouble with our partners, it gets up their noses, it really does. If there is one think you could ask them what they don't want us to do, it is to play Football Manager, that's what they would definitely say. They think we are obsessed with it and they are probably right. On our day off we absolutely hammer it and go to bed late at night.

"Darren is exactly the same as me, the amount of conversations his wife (R&B star Jamelia) and my girlfriend have about it are incredible and they are both as frustarted about it as each other, purely because of the amount of time we spend on that game. It's a wonder we have any kids, I have two boys and Darren has two girls."

Right now, there is no end in sight to their obvious obsession. When it all started they said they would play for 30 seasons, but the bad news is they are nearly finished and the boys want to carry on playing with retirement off the agenda. Hardly surprising, with the game virtually taking over their lives!"

Hazell said: "In summer, when the season is over and we get together we have easily done 12, 15 hours a day, and I mean easily. The family wakes up in the morning and can't believe we are still playing the game.

"It's amazing really, the most realistic thing you can have on a PC. And it has definitely made up my mind that I do not want to be a manager. The stress is amazing. I see it on Shez's face, we put on a good performance one week, the next we could be rubbish and it really is so frustrating. I can understand where he is coming from and there is nothing he can do about it from the touchline, he can't kick a ball and he can only try to make changes. Here I am playing a video game and it's the same kind of thing!

"I'm not in control, I just pick the team and hope they can get the result. When they don't, you think 'Why not?' Last week they did and you find yourself asking 'Why can't they do it this week?' It's just like the real thing..."

Haha, excellent. Im lucky if i i get more than a 4 hour sitting, twice a week!! Noticed quiet a few people on the forums from around the Oldham area whilst ive been lurking in the background! :D

Just thought i'd say Howdy, Shaw lad myself! Haha! :thup:

Im currently at work, hence the late posting time. I dont have some kind of FMsomnia :p

Archived