CM/FM's brilliance and addictiveness - what has it made you do?

Ok, so some people don't like the new FM and there's a big debate about it and reading some of the posts about its problems, those who complain have every right to do so. But this, I hope, will be a more positive thread.

I want you to tell stories of things you have done due to being in love with the game. I guess it's a slightly tilted version of the 'you know you're addicted to FM when' thread but I'm looking for anecdotes and examples rather than funny one-liners.

For instance...

I grew up in a family of CM addicts. It was my brothers who got me into the game when the eldest bought it one Christmas and got us all involved in a 4-way file. We fell in love with it from there. Anyway, the fact that all 4 of us brothers were so addicted to the game often led to arguments, tantrums and, yes, fisticuffs. The reason for this was because, eventually, we all went our separate ways and started individual files, but only had one computer in the household. Of course, we all know the equation: four CM-hungry youngsters + one computer = mass brawls. In the end, the eldest decdied to put his foot down on the situation and create a system where we all got allocated 'CM time'. The ideology was fine - we all get an hour each in turn and then another hour each and so on, but, in principal, it was never gonna work too well...

What it ultimately resulted in was Dom (circa 18 at the time) getting 1 hour 15 mins, with the final 15 consisting of him 'accidentally' continuing to his next game while Liam (circa 16) kicked and screamed saying Dom wasn't being fair. Then Liam would get 1 hour 20 mins - the final 20 minutes being 'because Dom got half an hour extra so I get extra time too' while Eamonn (circa 12) kicked and screamed saying Liam wasn't being fair. Eamonn would scrape about 1 hour 5 mins out of it but was generally well behaved, then finally, after hours of waiting, I'd get my turn. I'd load my file up, remind myself of previous results etc, then hear a bellow from my parents' room 'NIIIIALL TIME FOR BED'. This would lead to me either a) refusing to go to bed or b) attacking the other three. This cycle continued for the next few years, until the older brothers scattered off to uni and whatnot.

In addition, we coined now-legendary phrases in our household such as the horrific 'TTCO', which would be heard when it was 'time to come off'. Yes, Dom would always come in grinning, slowly walk over to the computer where I was playing, knock on the monitor and look at his watch, slowly saying 'TTCO' in a painfully smug manner. Also, CM time was often negotiated, for eg I'd dedicate Eamonn 10 minutes of my CM time if he made me a cuppa and some toast. Eamonn was always the slyest of the bunch, we'd want to play multiplayer Goldeneye and he'd say he'd only be willing to play if we all dedicated him 10 minutes CM time each. Later on he declared that he would have never actually refused to play Bond if we refused his CM time, but he always bluffed and we, in desperation to start shooting each other on 'Facility', would oblige. Good times.

Anyway, I digress. Have you got any anecdotes like this, that demonstrate your addiction to CM/FM?

reading this brings back some memories of trying to get on FM when my brother was still living at home. all the fights that went on...

Also remember being half asleep and hearing my bro going downstairs and cursing that he'd got up before me and therefore got first go on FM. (prob was Champ Man back then thinking about it)

I only had 1 bro, god knows how you coped with 3!!!

Archived