Why this game makes me angry.

I'm currently in a sea of red mist. So I'll be brief.

I don't mind losing. I don't mind drawing. Whatever. It's football. It happens.

What ****es me off is that almost every single fackin goal I concede is due to some moronic error by my team. A ball over the top, defender didn't chase. Non-marking. A crap back header. A complete mix-up with marking at the back. Opposition goalkeeper kicks the ball over my ENTIRE TEAM and somehow it becomes a perfect through ball.

I can honestly say I am hardly ever the victim of beautiful football. I can't even tell if the opposition has a tactic. Every highlight starts with a throw in, or a free kick. Ever goal is simply an individual error by some idiot.

I'm seriously getting tired of this.

And yes, I realise my post is simply a moan. But there is just no cohesion, no fluidity to this game. Just a lot of mistakes affected by an infinite number of sliders all bound together by a 50 page document written by people who seem to know more about the game than the people who made.

What the hell's going on here?

It is infuriating, isn't it?

Defenders have been ******** ever since the 2D was brought in though, so not really a surprise. My personal favourite is when you get a throw-in in your defensive third, knowing full well your player will throw it down the line to an opposition player who will start an attack. Every. Single. Time.

What ****es me off is that almost every single fackin goal I concede is due to some moronic error by my team. A ball over the top, defender didn't chase. Non-marking. A crap back header. A complete mix-up with marking at the back. Opposition goalkeeper kicks the ball over my ENTIRE TEAM and somehow it becomes a perfect through ball.

I can honestly say I am hardly ever the victim of beautiful football. I can't even tell if the opposition has a tactic. Every highlight starts with a throw in, or a free kick. Ever goal is simply an individual error by some idiot.

And yes, I realise my post is simply a moan. But there is just no cohesion, no fluidity to this game. Just a lot of mistakes affected by an infinite number of sliders all bound together by a 50 page document written by people who seem to know more about the game than the people who made.

Please don't swear. Thanks.

Defenders have been ******** ever since the 2D was brought in though, so not really a surprise. My personal favourite is when you get a throw-in in your defensive third, knowing full well your player will throw it down the line to an opposition player who will start an attack. Every. Single. Time.

yeah... or when you're building up a nice play, their defender kicks your player down and plays a perfect 50 yard through ball, all in one sweet motion. in the conference.

Franco Baresi Himself couldn't have hit a ball like that in his wildest dreams.

Like i said... it's not about losing or winning. I can live with it, it's just the constant catalog of ******** errors.

yeah... or when you're building up a nice play, their defender kicks your player down and plays a perfect 50 yard through ball, all in one sweet motion. in the conference.

Franco Baresi Himself couldn't have hit a ball like that in his wildest dreams.

Like i said... it's not about losing or winning. I can live with it, it's just the constant catalog of ******** errors.

Well said. And sirdez's point about throw-ins is very valid as well.

Any game of this level of complexity will end up with experts who know better than the inventors how to play the game well. That's a mark in its favour, not against it.

Well, with respect to the experts, they are only people who know how to beat the match engine by maximising its flaws: e.g. overloading. What a lot of people are asking, rightly or wrongly, is do we need such a complicated match engine when the majority of players are not willing to lavish 35-45 mins a game? I'm not really tbh. I don't sit here for 9 hrs a day playing half a season. Its become a bit too involving. :)

My personal "favourite" is conceding a goal to a corner on the first highlight of an away match. This is usually because the ball drops at the near post and my international centre back runs purposefully away from the ball allowing the oppo to score.

I've got a game against Spurs away on the save I swore I'd abandon the other day. Let's test the theory...

I STRONGLY disagree. In fact, I laughed pretty hard at that :)

And to the mod, in what world do you live that that word is a swearword? Honestly..

It was not because it was a swearword. It was because it is totally inappropriate content.

My favourite is when a ball is played over the top of my winger/striker and he runs for it, somehow misjudges the flight and it ends up smacking him on the back of the head and starting an attack for the opposition.

Sometimes I wonder if I purchased the Special Edition Carry On Version of Football Manager.

Well, with respect to the experts, they are only people who know how to beat the match engine by maximising its flaws: e.g. overloading. What a lot of people are asking, rightly or wrongly, is do we need such a complicated match engine when the majority of players are not willing to lavish 35-45 mins a game? I'm not really tbh. I don't sit here for 9 hrs a day playing half a season. Its become a bit too involving. :)

Only 9 hours??? In my last save I've played 1 day 21 hours and counting and I'm halfway November rofl. :)

On 08 I averaged 4 days a season, in my other save on 09 (3rd season) also about 4 days a season.

I'm one of those rare players who reads everything and looks for hours at player stats before deciding who to play and how to counter the opposition.

Not to mention how much time it takes for me before I decide to buy a player. :p

To answer the op:

Most goals irl are due to individual errors, but it isn't so obvious as in FM's me off course.

Imo it would be even more difficult to know what's wrong with our tactics or see who is to blame for the error if it wasn't so obvious.

Many people think FM is already to difficult, if we would have a engine that would simulate a match exactly like a real match I think this game would be impossible for most of them to figure out.

Don't get me wrong I get sometimes also frustrated with how stupid my players can react to certain situations or their stupid mistakes, but it's part of the job the way I see it.

And if your team is hardly outplayed by the opposition I reckon you're doing something good, because in my first save, Inter showed my lads every corner of the pitch in the UEFA cup.

4-0 only had one shot off target opposed to their 20+ shots on and off target, still I was proud we got this far, and I expected a loss tbh.

People are confusing the ME and the tactics.

Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with the Match Engine. That is simply the generation of player actions and behaviour based on tactics, morale, media etc.

The problem is with the tactics, which make it difficult to input what you want into the match engine. If that was right, there would be no problem. Les Girondins, you miss that point.

Of course, that doesn't include the obvious bugs like the GK punt assist and wild long shots, but aside from that, it's your tactics. That's not your fault though - it's the fault of the overcomplicated system, which is too hard to understand.

My favourite is when a ball is played over the top of my winger/striker and he runs for it, somehow misjudges the flight and it ends up smacking him on the back of the head and starting an attack for the opposition.

Sometimes I wonder if I purchased the Special Edition Carry On Version of Football Manager.

This is it... even when you read the TT&F bible and spend a week tweaking your Franskenstein tactic, then your dumbass fullback hits the ball straight into the back of the head of your winger, prompting and instant TACKLE-LONG BALL-PERFECT-50-YARD-OMG-THROUGH BALL-IN-1-SPLIT SECOND DRAGON BALL Z DEFENDER SUPER ATTACK MOVE which we all love.

The notion that Robben tries to control a through ball with the back of his head is utterly ludicrous. It just doesn't happen.

Oh - and seriously... I don't think I was being offensive. I was just trying to get a laugh out of an annoying situation.

It does get a bit annoying the way players, especially forwards, attempt to control the ball with the back of their heads. Also, it's annoying how setting a striker as target man means he will flick the ball on no matter where he is and who's around him. Why can't it be more intuitive? Why does setting a player to a certain role or instruction mean they'll do it no matter what?

It doesn't get a bit annoying the way players, especially forwards, attempt to control the ball with the back of their heads. Also, it's annoying how setting a striker as target man means he will flick the ball on no matter where he is and who's around him. Why can't it be more intuitive? Why does setting a player to a certain role or instruction mean they'll do it no matter what?

Very valid; I'm now way too terrified to ever use the "hold up ball" option because it invariably means that the player's going to stand rooted to the spot, looking around, revolving slowly before being tackled with ease and of course the opposition immediately launch a deadly counterattack.

And to the mod, in what world do you live that that word is a swearword? Honestly..

Do you have childern of your own with this syndrome? I guess not, then you would know it is very inappropriate and maby even offensive.

OT, yes my back four are also running away form balls during corners so the opposition can score easy goals, on the other hand I scored a few of my own as well.

This game makes me angry because of things like this:

From my point of view this is a bug and need to be solved. This is not irl situation and it has nothing to do with tactics. GK just stand and wait for opposition striker to achieve a goal when it is needed :) that has nothing to do with his first touch or dribbling coz GK is not moving.

I would guess you're not intellectually advanced enough to understand why a reference to Down's Syndrome, used in that context, is not only totally unfunny, but inappropriate and offensive.

I would guess you're not intellectually advanced enough to understand why a reference to Down's Syndrome, used in that context, is not only totally unfunny, but inappropriate and offensive.

WOW! Hang on a moment! I wasn't having a go at people with Down's syndrome!

I was only trying to illustrate (yes, maybe crudely!) the state of a fictional array of pixels posing as a defensive back four is a fictional computer game! Let's put some focus on this, guys! I'm sorry if it caused offence, I didn't realise I'd stirred the hornet's nest at the Daily Mail. (Damn... I'm in trouble again!)

Ok, stupid comments aside... is anyone here, -despite their apparent success with OMG MANU or MANCHESTER BIN DOLLAR CITY- actually denying all the huge flaws in the ME? It seems we make decisions to counter the AI problems, not ones actually based on football.

rantbox you are bang on the money,the engine and blind tactics needs to be sorted out,I have tried and tried to play the game and just leads to total fustration.

The pick up and play feeling from the series has gone and been replaced with a huge TTF bible,blind sliders,insane player actions and ass manager feedback that while a good idea has been very very badly implemented.

WOW! Hang on a moment! I wasn't having a go at people with Down's syndrome!

I was only trying to illustrate (yes, maybe crudely!) the state of a fictional array of pixels posing as a defensive back four is a fictional computer game! Let's put some focus on this, guys! I'm sorry if it caused offence, I didn't realise I'd stirred the hornet's nest at the Daily Mail. (Damn... I'm in trouble again!)

Ok, stupid comments aside... is anyone here, -despite their apparent success with OMG MANU or MANCHESTER BIN DOLLAR CITY- actually denying all the huge flaws in the ME? It seems we make decisions to counter the AI problems, not ones actually based on football.

I'm not sure I've seen anyone flat out deny that the match engine has flaws.

And I accept your explanation of your Down's Syndrome remark.

Yup. One of my pet peeves. Absolutely hate it!

The new problems (e.g long ball to strikers feet, own goals, 35 yarders) need to be sorted as soon as possible. It's clearly an issue or it wouldn't be raised by so many posters. However, I worry that the problem won't be solved immediately. My perennial bugbear is the way the keeper hoofs the ball up to Robinho, SWP, Kevin Phillips, Gary Coleman or Vern Troyer who is opposed by the monster Nemanja Vidic, when you specified that you wanted it played short. This has been an issue since 2D came in. I know that the match engine isn't an exact correlation to what actually will happen but if a goal is scored as a result of your keeper ignoring instruction - i'd say that is a problem

i do wonder why others are having serious defensive errors and i dont.. i've yet to see one error where the defender didn't chase a ball or it bounced off him as he just stood still.

what team are you playing as, what are your tactics (high defensive line, slow defneders etc)

and i've never seen one own goal. id love to see one.

i do wonder why others are having serious defensive errors and i dont.. i've yet to see one error where the defender didn't chase a ball or it bounced off him as he just stood still.

what team are you playing as, what are your tactics (high defensive line, slow defneders etc)

and i've never seen one own goal. id love to see one.

Really?!?! Are you playing as Rangers or Celtic in the Mickey Mouse League, by any chance?

Always makes me laugh when gamers come on complaining that the game is to blame for their players making mistakes. So many gamers have success and it's well documented. I haven't won any silverware yet and my players make the OCCASIONAL mistake but I'm meeting my start-of-season objectives every season (just under-performing in the cups).

If rants like this were valid EVERYONE would be complaining about it.

It's.

Your.

Tactics.

Or.

Your.

Training.

(Or both)

rantbox you are bang on the money,the engine and blind tactics needs to be sorted out,I have tried and tried to play the game and just leads to total fustration.

The pick up and play feeling from the series has gone and been replaced with a huge TTF bible,blind sliders,insane player actions and ass manager feedback that while a good idea has been very very badly implemented.

I must say I disagree. I've read the main TTF article (about defensive - standard - offensive tactics) and along with the Ass Man instructions it helped me tweak my tactics to a very good level. The Ass Man instructions in particular helped me closing the gap between defence - midfield and midfield - offence, which is what prove to be (at least in my game) very effective against long assists and long shots.

I'm actually having the best start of the season EVER since playing the FM series, managing Verona (Italy Serie C1 - Media prediction of midtable); after half season, 1st with 8 points gap to the second one, 14 win, 2 draw and 1 loss, and only 7 goals conceded.

I play a 4-4-2 formation (nothing fancy), but with the correct tweaks applied to the slides it is proving to be very successful.

I must say I disagree. I've read the main TTF article (about defensive - standard - offensive tactics) and along with the Ass Man instructions it helped me tweak my tactics to a very good level. The Ass Man instructions in particular helped me closing the gap between defence - midfield and midfield - offence, which is what prove to be (at least in my game) very effective against long assists and long shots.

I'm actually having the best start of the season EVER since playing the FM series, managing Verona (Italy Serie C1 - Media prediction of midtable); after half season, 1st with 8 points gap to the second one, 14 win, 2 draw and 1 loss, and only 7 goals conceded.

I play a 4-4-2 formation (nothing fancy), but with the correct tweaks applied to the slides it is proving to be very successful.

That's good to hear... but surely we should be able to work out why these things are happening? Surely something is going on here?

I like the idea of the ass man feedback but he can be very hard to keep up with,at 1 point my short passing isnt good by the time I change the tactic and the game allows for this change he comments that the short passing is doing really well or and my personal favorite,I am getting beat 3-0 at at say 60 mins and he keeps saying "despite the scoreline we are in total control and just need to keep this up to change the scoreline" this happens quite a few times and is very annoying.

I like the idea of the ass man feedback but he can be very hard to keep up with,at 1 point my short passing isnt good by the time I change the tactic and the game allows for this change he comments that the short passing is doing really well or and my personal favorite,I am getting beat 3-0 at at say 60 mins and he keeps saying "despite the scoreline we are in total control and just need to keep this up to change the scoreline" this happens quite a few times and is very annoying.

I know what you mean. In fact the section I really pay attention is the "tactics" one. The other sections seem to be his personal opinions, which sometimes change from day to night for no particular reason

Some of us have to put up with this in real life when watching our clubs week in week out!

Really?!?! Are you playing as Rangers or Celtic in the Mickey Mouse League, by any chance?

i'm liverpool and doing pretty well. sitting 3rd in the league at the moment. no oustanding issues of player stupidity or anything. to many long shots aren't an issue. dumb defneders aren't an issue. keeper assists were only an issue in friendly matches. players dont stand still or float around the pitch like glitched characters.

i can honestly say i have not expereicned any majoy issues or glitches in the 3d match engine

Archived