Australian Hyundai A League

Done 1 season with Melbourne Victory finished diaspointingly 5th, however it really confuses me.

Could anyone explain the basic of the league for me please, as i really am confused with it however must be doing something right as i just got a 2 year extension to my contract.

But explain the basics please, thanks in advance.

What exactly are you confused?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-league

It's a 21-week season, with the leader of the table after that point crowned "Premiers". This, however, isn't the main prize. The top four from the league table qualify for the finals. In the game, this is classified as a separate competition. It's kind of like the playoffs for promotion, but it is between the top four to decide who becomes "Champions", which is the major thing in the A-League.

There is a salary cap, a limit on foreigners and an allocation for a "marquee player" who is exempt from the salary cap - just your highest paid player.

Does that cover it?

The A-league is currently suffering from some crippling long-term bugs... hopefully the patch will rectify them.

It's probably one of the most even leagues in the world. Adelaide and Melbourne are probably the strongest teams, but you could realistically take any of the teams to the grand final in the first season.

anyone BUT wellington phoenix they are absolute pants....

also in the a-league you qualify for the Asian Champions League by winning the league (coming 1st after 21 league games) or winning the granfinal (in the final series)....

A-league has 2 ACL spots.. :)

and if you manage to win both the league and final then the runner-up in the final gets the other ACL spot

I believe ACL qualification is a little broken in the current version. Worth nothing that the ACL occurs at the end of every season, but because of the draw timing you actually qualify for the next year's ACL. So, if you qualify in season 1, you will play Champions League after season 2.

There are only eight teams, and they are all roughly equal courtesy of the salary cap. With a human manager in the mix, you could easily take any team to victory first season.

I have noticed that, without a human manager there, Melbourne Victory tend to dominate (at least in FM08). I'm pretty sure that's because they are the only club which turns a profit, or at least a substantial profit. That money translates to results in the long term. The Victory have been in the grand final in every one of six seasons on my 08 game, and have only lost once...

I believe ACL qualification is a little broken in the current version. Worth nothing that the ACL occurs at the end of every season, but because of the draw timing you actually qualify for the next year's ACL. So, if you qualify in season 1, you will play Champions League after season 2.

There are only eight teams, and they are all roughly equal courtesy of the salary cap. With a human manager in the mix, you could easily take any team to victory first season.

I have noticed that, without a human manager there, Melbourne Victory tend to dominate (at least in FM08). I'm pretty sure that's because they are the only club which turns a profit, or at least a substantial profit. That money translates to results in the long term. The Victory have been in the grand final in every one of six seasons on my 08 game, and have only lost once...

beleive it or not thats the case IRL to i support melbourne victory...

if you qualify for the ACL you play in next years tournament its really dumb

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, real life and in-game.

Ah, I get it. No, the "ACL qualification is broken" was something else. I'm under the impression that after the second season in some games, no teams qualify for the ACL at all.

wouldnt surprise me the a-league is just a bug central in fm09

anyone BUT wellington phoenix they are absolute pants....

also in the a-league you qualify for the Asian Champions League by winning the league (coming 1st after 21 league games) or winning the granfinal (in the final series)....

A-league has 2 ACL spots.. :)

and if you manage to win both the league and final then the runner-up in the final gets the other ACL spot

Although I agree with you IRL.

I won the A-league with the Nix in the first season and have dominated the A-league ever since.

Every Grand Final has been contested between me and the Central Coast. Everyone else has been sucked into a pit of deep dispear thanks to the stupid lack of a marque player.

actually ashley, the team who finishes first in the league is called the Minor Premier, but all the glory comes to the team that wins the finals playoff series, and becomes Major Premier - they are regarded as the "Champions".

I hate the system, but it is unlikely to ever change in a hurry, as virtually all sports in Australia and New Zealand follow this system. I guess the main benefit is extra dosh from big crowds at "finals", and having a big "final" is something we are used to in this part of the world, perhaps administrators feel that just a league system would be anti-climactic.

But yes, I feel it simply wrong that a team that just scrapes into the finals in 4th place, can end up taking the title from a team that went through the season unbeaten.

What I would prefer, is to have a standard league system for the league, and have a separate cup, which will still result in a big climactic final.

i can almost guarantee, that if/when it gets increased to 14 teams, there will be more than 4 teams in the playoffs to compensate.

Pathetic, but administrators will just see it as more teams in playoffs = more matches = more money.

The standard is dire anyway, just got back from Brisbane and went to see the Roar v Melbourne.

One of the worst games of football I'd ever seen.

What's worse is I'm a Dundee United fan and a couple of our ex players were playing.

Charlie Miller for the Roar (who is now fat and unable to run) & Grant Brebner for Melbourne (who I barely saw touch the ball).

In the second half I tried counting passes to see if either team could string together more than 5. They couldn't.

Yeah, the standard is pretty terrible (perhaps comparable to the top half of League 2 in England). Can't see it improving much unless they stop using the league a retirement home Aussie pro's coming back from overseas for a final payday and easy life. Any league where Kevin Muscat is a star player can't be very good! Still, it can be entertaining sometimes.

Yeah well, to be fair the champion would be the team who finishes 1st in the league. Then the top 4 do qualify for the seperate competion (final series) But the setup is fairly strange.

The setup of the playoffs is arranged so that the teams that finished 1st and 2nd play each other over two legs in the major semi-final and the winner then qualifies for the final. The teams that finish 3rd and 4th qualify for the minor semi-final over two legs where the winner plays the loser of the major semi-final for the other spot in the final.

So realistically it makes an uphill battle for 4th place and 3rd place to win the league.

IRL the top two teams are the two that usually end up in the final. e.g. last season Central coast 1st, Newcastle jets 2nd both played in the final with the Jets eventual winners.

I can't wait for those bugs to be removed as the a-league is soooo much fun. Played it in fm 2007 managing to sign Acuna - experienced chilean DM and Rafinha - young brazillian playmaker both with sydney fc.

• 1 month later...

Recommendation to people wanting to play the A-League: Take the Australia job as well. It makes it really really enjoyable bringing in classy youngsters from South America (or anywhere else for that matter) and keeping them at your club long enough to get Australian citizenship and make your job as Socceroo coach so much easier! It really is a great little added dimension to playing in the A-League I find.

Archived