If you think FM09's launch was so bad...

Check out how things have gone for Grand Theft Auto 4: http://hellforge.gameriot.com/blogs/Random-Ravings/20-Easy-Steps-to-Starting-GTA-IV-on-Your-PC

Now, I'm not using this as an apology for SI. There's no doubt that the launch of FM09 was a learning opportunity for the SI team.

Having said that, there is no doubt that the problems that hit FM09's launch are not unique in the gaming business, especially when the latest launch of one of the biggest franchises in the gaming businesses ends up being such a nightmare.

Check out how things have gone for Grand Theft Auto 4: http://hellforge.gameriot.com/blogs/Random-Ravings/20-Easy-Steps-to-Starting-GTA-IV-on-Your-PC

Now, I'm not using this as an apology for SI. There's no doubt that the launch of FM09 was a learning opportunity for the SI team.

Having said that, there is no doubt that the problems that hit FM09's launch are not unique in the gaming business, especially when the latest launch of one of the biggest franchises in the gaming businesses ends up being such a nightmare.

I nearly posted something very similar on Wednesday 3 December (release date). I never buy any software or technology on the day of release, for obvious reasons, but I broke my mantra for GTA IV as I've been waiting for its release for well over a year now.

Absolutely gutted with everything - having to install Rockstar Social Club and Windows Live wasn't that amusing. To say nothing of the fact I had to install Service Pack 3 (which I didn't want to do) and the fact it didn't play with any other joypad than an Xbox controller (there is a way around this, but I couldn't be arsed to do it). Then there was the fact that my 8800GTS 320MB graphics card didn't play the game well at all - I could only choose Low texture, unless I dramatically lowered the draw distance, in which case I could choose Medium texture. Absolutely shambolic. And I very nearly posted something similar last Wednesday.

However...

I purchased an NVIDIA GTX 260 (893MB) and it's absolutely amazing. Plus, I switched to an Xbox Controller for the first time, and I totally love it! GTA IV is now playing perfectly on my machine and it's a great game.

Not happy about having to run Windows Live and RSC, but I gather there are workarounds, but I haven't had time to check these out yet.

All in all, a totally shambolic release (countered only by the fact GTA IV is a superb game), which kinda put some of SI's problems into perspective. It did help me to appreciate some of the frustrations the people posting on here must have felt. I felt just as frustrated - though it should be noted that I managed to refrain from some of the disgusting language some posters felt was appropriate during the time they were having their problems.

Notwithstanding the fact that it took all year to port to PC.

Does the pros outweigh the cons for the developers?

For instance when there was no online activation what were the profits like, and loyalty of fans. Now using the online activation how do the fans feel and the profits the same?

Probably have to wait till next release to see how many fans they lost.

Archived