Still unable to install FM2009 after 1 month.

Soon one month has passed and I'm still unable to install Football Manager 2009 on my PC.

I get the following error message when running both Autorun and Setup.exe (same thing happens with Dev-builds, including latest build (fm2009_28897.exe) :

"This application has unexpectedly quit. Invocation of the Java Application has caused an InvocationTargetException. This application will now exit (LAX).

Details:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at javax.swing.MultiUIDefaults.getUIError(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.UIDefaults.getUI(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.UIManager.getUI(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JPanel.updateUI(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JPanel.<init>(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JRootPane.createGlassPane(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JRootPane.<init>(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JFrame.createRootPane(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JFrame.frameInit(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(Unknown Source)

at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.g(DashoA81 13)

at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.h(DashoA81 13)

at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.a(DashoA81 13)

at com.zerog.ia.installer.Main.main(DashoA8113)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknow n Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Un known Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.zerog.lax.LAX.launch(DashoA8113)

at com.zerog.lax.LAX.main(DashoA8113) ............."

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling 5 different versions of Java. And I've stripsearched the 'known issues'-thread. So... Where do I go from here? I really could use some help.

Do you have limewire installed? No idea why, but i was getting "Invocation of the Java Application has caused an InvocationTargetException" with limewire installed - i uninstalled it and it worked (this wasn't for FM btw, but it's the only time i've had it ;))

Soon one month has passed and I'm still unable to install Football Manager 2009 on my PC. I am head researcher for Norway, and not being able to run the game is creating all kinds of problems for me.

Can't you get some help directly from SI then since your the head researcher.

Did try to uninstall all java items from the controlpanel - Add/remove programs?

I've talked directly to SI, but they have not been able to produce a solution for me yet.. It seems my problem is kind of unique, so I'm reaching out to the community as well here.

No Limewire installed, so that can't really be it. What is an InvocationError anyway?

Just a guess: You did maybe install other Java versions, but the original is still on your computer and will start with priority.

Try to delete other Java versions and installing the sun java engine.

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

not the case.. I've uninstalled all Java versions before installing new ones.

after browsing the technical problems-forum I found that other people have had the same problem as me. but SI hasn't come up with a good answer to any of them.

only "uninstall/reinstall java". surely there must be some solution to this. any hints or tips massively appreciated.

If you install via Steam, you don't need to use the Java installer. You can register your CD Key with Steam and it will forever be available for you to download from there - everybody should do this anyway, in case you lose your CD or CD Key.

If you install via Steam, you don't need to use the Java installer. You can register your CD Key with Steam and it will forever be available for you to download from there - everybody should do this anyway, in case you lose your CD or CD Key.

unless you lose your steam details :p

I do not know if this is relevant. I just had a major problem with JAVA after a recent update to JRE6 update 11. Did not wreck FM but was causing havoc in my work platforms. As it turned out dumbluck saved me. It was Norton/Symantec 2007 version. Even though it was turned off it screwed up the update. No matter how many times I uninstalled java and reinstalled it was "ghosted". As in it said it was there but many parts were not fully installed.

After pouring through my event viewer for 6 hours or so I found a clue that led me to stupid Norton. Uninstalled it and redid Java and was fixed.

K. A guide on how to install via steam highly appreciated.

I couldn't agree more. A regularly used home pc will benefit hugely from a fresh install of Windows at least once a year. Do it and you should be playing FM tomorrow.

I bought my PC after FM was released .. Really, windows installs don't come much fresher than mine:)

K. A guide on how to install via steam highly appreciated.

i. Download steam

ii. install steam

iii. click on my games

iv. click on "register a steam product" or something like that, it's down the end next to "register a non-steam game"

v. put your CD Key in the box that comes up.

vi. next next next finish and so on.

vii. FM will start to download - might take a couple of hours but after a month of waiting that might seem ok.

Archived