What affects players' decisions to learn PPMs?

Like many others, I was pleased when I heard that it'd be possible to ask players to learn specific moves. However, I'm quite baffled by why so many of my players refuse to learn something that would be beneficial to them.

For example, I have a striker who's got strong attributes in everything you'd want in an all-round forward player. His technique is excellent, and at just 18, he's already a regular in the first team. Yet he refuses to learn any PPMs. Yet I have another striker, an international forward, who's guaranteed to be in the first team whenever fit, who'll learn anything I ask him to. Surely a younger, less-experienced player would be more willing to listen to his manager than a player who's already made it about as far as he can go?

Is there a particular attribute, most likely a hidden one, that will affect a player's decision on this? Does it also depend on what you're asking them to learn, and is it linked to your reputation as a manager? And finally, why does it always cause a drop in morale? How exactly would telling a player you'd think he'd excel at striking a ball powerfully because of his excellent technique have an adverse effect, unless you were pretty poor at man-management (an area which is still lacking in FM) and explained this badly to him?

Like many others, I was pleased when I heard that it'd be possible to ask players to learn specific moves. However, I'm quite baffled by why so many of my players refuse to learn something that would be beneficial to them.

For example, I have a striker who's got strong attributes in everything you'd want in an all-round forward player. His technique is excellent, and at just 18, he's already a regular in the first team. Yet he refuses to learn any PPMs. Yet I have another striker, an international forward, who's guaranteed to be in the first team whenever fit, who'll learn anything I ask him to. Surely a younger, less-experienced player would be more willing to listen to his manager than a player who's already made it about as far as he can go?

Is there a particular attribute, most likely a hidden one, that will affect a player's decision on this? Does it also depend on what you're asking them to learn, and is it linked to your reputation as a manager? And finally, why does it always cause a drop in morale? How exactly would telling a player you'd think he'd excel at striking a ball powerfully because of his excellent technique have an adverse effect, unless you were pretty poor at man-management (an area which is still lacking in FM) and explained this badly to him?

I can't tell you how frustrated I am with this feature. In dafuge's Challenge, I signed a lot fo young players, on top of the fact that my Regen youth players were coming through, and I was asking things like : strikers to learn "Places shot into corner" and they just refused point blank. I thought maybe it was just the 1 player, so I attempted to get every player under 20 of my first team sqaud to learn a new PPM - and they ALL refused. :mad:

It probably has something to do with their CA and age. If their finishing ability is very low at the moment of learning to place shots, they might refuse. The players could also refuse if they are a bit older like 25-28 and don't want to be forced to change.

Archived