UEFA Cup

I have just finished my first season as manager of Spurs finishing 10th in the league, made the quarter final of the UEFA cup and runners up in the FA cup but for some reason i haven't qualified for the UEFA cup, unless the rules have changed but i thought if the winners of the FA cup which was Manchester United had already qualified for europe then the runners up go into the UEFA cup! instead it dropped down to 7th in the league which was Wigan lol but i was only 3 points behind that position.

Check the rules in in the FA cup menu, there it is explained who will qualify for what. Also (at least in FM08) just after the season ended you would see the item in front of the teams like ECC etc. but on a later stage after all cup finales are played sometimes the final correct table is displayed.

Yeah - new rules come into place at the end of 2008-09, where only the cup WINNER can qualify (and the League Cup winner too) - if they are already in Europe then it goes straight to the next league place.

And the UEFA cup also goes into a different group format next year too (similar to the Champions League) instead of the daft 5 team groups that they currently play.

I have just finished my first season as manager of Spurs finishing 10th in the league, made the quarter final of the UEFA cup and runners up in the FA cup but for some reason i haven't qualified for the UEFA cup, unless the rules have changed but i thought if the winners of the FA cup which was Manchester United had already qualified for europe then the runners up go into the UEFA cup! instead it dropped down to 7th in the league which was Wigan lol but i was only 3 points behind that position.

Pretty sure UEFA said that cup runners up could no longer be granted that place and that it must be given to a team based on league placing.

Yeah - new rules come into place at the end of 2008-09, where only the cup WINNER can qualify (and the League Cup winner too) - if they are already in Europe then it goes straight to the next league place.

And the UEFA cup also goes into a different group format next year too (similar to the Champions League) instead of the daft 5 team groups that they currently play.

Is the new group format coded in the game, I havent got to 09/10 yet?

The runners up in the FA cup should still qualify. It is just the league cup that it goes to the next place team.

*my mistake, just checked the rules and apparently i'm worng :D. I read a BBC article the other day and it said the FA cup losers still get a place. Little bit harsh.

Archived