Straight red = ? match ban

Depends on the reason for sending off. Minimum one match though.

Denying obvious goal / goalscoring opportunity (DOGSO)= 1 match

Offensive or abusive language / gestures (OFFINABUS) = 2 matches

Violent Conduct / Serious Foul Play (VC/SFP) = 3 matches

Plus an extra match if sent off earlier same season.

-- At least thats what it says in The FA's diciplinary procedures

According to FA rules, as I recall, a red card - straight or two yellows - is a one match ban. The thing is that every red card is followed up with a disciplinary hearing, where about 99% lead to a further two match ban. Thus the three match ban which we take as read these days. Very rarely a red card will only have an extra one match ban, where some cases - Evra's recent suspension for the Chelseagate last year, and various other situations - have lead to between three and nine further matches. I'm pretty sure I heard of a ten match ban a few years back, anyway.

Edit: Not sure what I make of supersaint's comment. I can't deny it, but I was pretty sure that what I wrote above was correct, from a variety of news sources over the years. Sufficed to say that the three match ban is the norm.

So the one match ban per red card as reflected in the rules of the premier league in fm09 is merely the bare minimum, that's the pt?

Yes. If any of your players get red carded you'll see them banned for one match. Then a few days later you'll probably get a news item informing you of an extension to the ban.

According to FA rules, as I recall, a red card - straight or two yellows - is a one match ban. The thing is that every red card is followed up with a disciplinary hearing, where about 99% lead to a further two match ban. Thus the three match ban which we take as read these days. Very rarely a red card will only have an extra one match ban, where some cases - Evra's recent suspension for the Chelseagate last year, and various other situations - have lead to between three and nine further matches. I'm pretty sure I heard of a ten match ban a few years back, anyway.

Edit: Not sure what I make of supersaint's comment. I can't deny it, but I was pretty sure that what I wrote above was correct, from a variety of news sources over the years. Sufficed to say that the three match ban is the norm.

If you take a look at FA - Diciplinary latest, you will see why it seems to be a norm - Sending offs for Serious Foul Play is pretty common, which then again gives 3 or more matches(like you said). But there is also DOGSO there (William Jones, Crewe Alexandra FC vs Tranmere) which resulted in a one match ban.

Yeah one of my top strikers got a straight red for headbutting a defender and so incurred a one match ban. A few in-game days later I got an email saying it had been extended by a further 5 matches! My other 2 strikers were out injured so naturally I wanted to punch this guy to give him a dose of what he gives out. Just fined him 2 weeks wages instead!

Archived