International Management - Too Easy?

A couple of seasons into my Aston Villa game, kind of struggling for consistency, finishing 7th then 10th.

I then somehow managed to land the Ivory Coast job, and was given the task of making them just 'compete' at the World Cup. I thought it would be something to do before the next season started proper.

I ended up comfortably WINNING the cup, even though the odds were against me, and we were being written off before beating teams like Croatia, Argentina, and finally Portugal, with the only tricky game being the annoyingly fake-named Germany in the Semis, where we needed a late goal to take it into extra time.

At no point did it seem particularly hard though. This is with a team that only has a few truly world class players, including a now 32-year-old Drogba who was injured for most of the tournament, along with other top players such as Keita.

I dont think my tactics were anything special, but we seemed to dominate games and possession against world class sides that should be walking over us, so I just wondered if anyone else had won the World Cup, or big international tournament, with an underdog preferably, and found it almost too easy?

Archived