Transfer income, which way is best?

Up until this year I had always been a fan of getting all the trasnfer fee up front, I hated monthly payments but this year with the way finances are it seems to be far more beneficial if there is some money coming in monthly. Not sure if this is because it doesn't all get gobbled up by the in-game taxation and what not, but it does seem as though from each transfer with monthly payments my Stoke team are far better off with now having 76m in the bank and compared to FM08 I seem to be in general, far better off financially with teams when its like this.

I know in reality, a pound today is worth less in a years time but FM doesn't take that into account so it does seem to provide a good steady income over 2 years.

good and bad thing i guess, depends on my situation, if im in urgent need of the cash then im looking for full amount upfront, if im comfortable then spread out over months is as you say a steady flow, but when your a smaller club i find its best to get the cash straight away so you can re-invest it to improve the squad

It does seem to have increased my teams profitability enormously, often reaping 2-3m profit a month and it has helped me in some ways because the 40m or so I'd have had coming in would have otherwise been ploughed straight into team improvements and I wouldn't have realised I didn't need to send it.

If you need to sell to buy in the transfer window, obviously you need the cash up front. The benefit of monthly payments is that clubs are more likely to buy your players, or buy at a higher price if you agree to it. Players I really want to offload often go for 0 up front and monthly payments to follow.

Also, I like to keep the chairman happy by being in the black most months, and this is a key way to ensure that.

playing as a team with a crippling debt (Athletic Mineiro), who in my game are paying back 1m a month in loans, and have a ticket and season ticket price of £3 and £22 respectively (and an attendance of under 20'000 unless its a rival they are playing), The only way I've been able to keep them afloat for 2 seasons is to try and balance out the loan payments with transfer income over time, helped by the fact that they seem to start with about 3 million players on their roster. It doesn't make the balance any better doing it this way I suppose, but it certainly makes the cash flow a little better as 1m isn't vanishing from the coffers at the end of each month.

Archived