Holding a lead....

This is getting beyond a joke now!

Why is it that I can never ever hold a lead! Whatever I do it dosent work. Weather I change the formation, change the team instructions or just leave it as it is It's impossible for me to hold a lead!

For instance I was 3-0 up at half time against Birmingham and ended up losing 4-3, I was 2-0 up against Southamton and lost 5-3, I was 2-0 up against Bristol and lost 3-2. These aswell as many occaisions when ive been leading and ended up drawing, and I'm only in January!

I'm Nottingham Forest by the way and I was just wondering if this is a known bug or if anyone has any hints or tips about holding a lead, however big it may be or if there are any downloadable or manuel tactics that could help me because its getting to the point that I' starting to prefer going into half time 0-0 rather than 2-0 up.

Much appreciated

What kind of team talks are you holding? Leaving it up to the assistant? Maybe do it yourself, or have a look at it.

What is the stamina levels of your players? Are they old?

Is your captain not very determined? Is he influential? A bad player with influence is worse.

Those are the first few things that came to mind, though it is also possible that in desperation to hold on to a lead, you are fiddling with the tactics and possibly making the comeback possible.

Yeah what he said,

Plus, go on ultra defensive for the last 10 and play 4 defenders, 3 defensive mids, one mr, one ml and one st.

Keep closing down very high.

Play a direct style, which is quick and time wasting on high.

By the way, it's your tactics :D

Sorry, had to be said.

Going defensive could be your downfall depending on your team and the team you are playing. EG if you have slowish defenders and their attackers are pacey, you'd be better off trying to curb the supply from midfield and having your back line much deeper and definitely not using the offside trap. If you only watch key moments try watching extended to get a better picture of where the danger is coming from and then do your best to close it off. Example, their main threat is from crosses from their AMR, see if you can force him onto his wrong foot or if worst comes to worst hack his legs off :D

Look at what style of passing they are using. If you are closing down, and they are playing long or short then your players will be chasing shadows most of the game, which will be very tiring on them.

Just a few things to think about but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will reply soon ;)

this is what i love about FM holding onto a lead.

what i do most of the time is slow very short passing and very slow tempo and keep increasing the time wasting, and keep the ticker just past normal mentality i tend to find if i go to defensive then im just letting them come at me constantly.

this ussualy does do the trick for me when im trying to scrape through a 1-0 win. if they keep comming at me then i will play counter attack so i hit them on a break which is a good one to use.

Archived