2d in next patch

• SI Staff

We are still looking into it - hopefully it can be improved for 9.2 but it is in the balance if I am totally honest. Can I ask, are you experiencing these ( presumably jerky 2D ) problems on a single core machine?

Yes it is Pentium 4 1.6 GhZ, with 1280 MB DDR and 64 mb graphic card!

I really do not care about 3d and FM 08 run smooth with 2d!

FM 09's 2d is a bit jerky and I belive you can improve overall procesing and balance of the game!

Thank you for your quick answer!

Cheers!

We are still looking into it - hopefully it can be improved for 9.2 but it is in the balance if I am totally honest. Can I ask, are you experiencing these ( presumably jerky 2D ) problems on a single core machine?

I'm also experiencing very poor matchday performance in both 2D and 3D modes, in fact the 'sensible soccer' type 3D view is the least jerky - the 2D modes are worse than that! I'm posting on a laptop now, not the machine I play FM on, but off the top of my head I think it's an AMD 3000+ processor, plus a solid but not top range ATI graphics card (definitely one that was listed as 'supported' before the games release) and 1.5Gb of RAM. On all previous FM versions I've been able to run a few firefox tabs, and maybe Winamp and/or Microsoft Word, plus FM in a window and performance was flawless. Now I have to run it full-screen to experience even half-way decent performance come matchday (outside of the 'matchday experience' screens it runs blindingly fast) and can maybe get away with alt-tabbing to a single firefox tab. I wouldn't mind if it was just the 3D engine that ran this poorly, but the 2D mode is every bit as bad without offering any improvements over the 2D modes on FM08 (and adding in irritants like the in-game advertising, smaller portion of the screen given over to the pitch, and bugs like never seeming to 'switch' properly between whatever stats/ratings screen you're looking at and the highlights, usually after you've made a sub)

iirc this was a problem with AMD dual core machines that SI managed to fix in 8.0.1

I'm not sure why its back, possibly something to do with poorly optimised code, which I think Paul has said somewhere else, they've done quite a bit of work on :)

• SI Staff

We think there is an issue with single core machines, where 2D ( well, the whole interface ) lags compared to FM2008.

Unfortunately the way we have designed the UI thread wise this year means it isn't easily rectified.

I have to agree with PaulC, I guess any issues appear only with single core processors. I am glad to hear that you designed your game for multicore processors, so Ive got any problems with game. (except bugs!!) But of course you should think about all players and do needed changes to make game comfortable for all.

• SI Staff
I am using a dual core 2 laptop, 2gig ram, and gfx intel 965(it says in a post that the intel 900 series work fine) and the 2d is very jerky. On 08 it was goooooooorgeous and made the game great fun.

Can you try:

A) save a match, restart the game and watch it from the start menu?

B) try playing in windowed mode at minimum game resolution?

Paul

Can you try:

A) save a match, restart the game and watch it from the start menu?

B) try playing in windowed mode at minimum game resolution?

Paul

Paul - have you guys fixed the ui lag on match days issue on SMP boxes? People whinged a lot when dual core first came on the scene and how FM didn't really use the full potential but now it seems to be a bit too thread intensive. Makes the menus and drag and drop etc become almost unusuable when processing results in the background.

3D is a disaster on my MacBook PRo aswell.

Same here, I know Macs aren't great for gaming but I thought it would have been able to run something which looks so basic. I guess there's alot more too it but its utterly unplayable in 3D. 2D is fine, TV mode sometimes lags a little, player icons staying in the same spot while.. a ghost icon i guess runs off after the ball lol. I also find that while changing player positions upfront my lone striker will sport two positions upfront along with my AMC.. Its easily fixed and im not fussed enough to start kicking off, just thought i'd throw out some other things i've noticed while on my Mac Book Pro

Archived