Quite worrying.

I loaded up the game this evening to have an hour or so, and realised that I'd not gone anywhere near it for more than a week, possibly two.

I'm worried that the game I've played for a decade+ has developed so far away from me that I'm not bothered anymore.

I go through phases like that with FM, then before I know it I'm immersed in it again.

Best bet if you're wanting to recapture your enthusiasm is to restart in a strange league somewhere. I played in Korea for a few seasons last time this happened, and Belgium the time before that.

Why?

I've played the game for years and years and the level of tactical tinkering has got more and more. Now what's needed has bored me to death.

Am I not allowed to comment on that?

I loaded the game up, looked at it, trying to think about what I need to do next, and really couldn't be arsed. I've been more motivated to do my accounts!

this is the most weirdest of all fm09 threads so far. SO weird infact I would put it into the 'wqaste of time' bin

Then you haven't seen many threads then to be honest

Hes making a point about his loss of desire to play the game, and a point i agree with.

Just because you may not agree, does not make it pointless.

i've also played for a decade and i like all versions. Of course now i could not go back and play CM 00 again but it was good for that time. I still have the desire to play the game as i always had since the start

Ok, so you're bored with the game, so don't play it until you feel you want to go back to it. End of thread.

Wait a sec..."end of thread"?

The op is right on the button,this years release has went too much to the slider issue,all the micro management has sapped alot of fun from the game,the devs need to hear this from the player base or they will continue on this route,you saying"end of thread"does not help anything,if you are enjoying the game then that is nice I however have been playing since 97/98 and I am not bored of the manager series but I do think the devs have made a mistake with the sliders and it should be looked at,hell I still want to be playing this game in another 10 years time but I wont if it continues done this blind slider route!

Desire to play the game comes and goes dude.

I think about 90% of us FM players over do it, to be honest and eventually get burnt out once we start noticing the Repetitive cycle of the game.

From what I gather regarding FM postings on this forum, it almost seems as if the comunity is approaching the point of saturation with the game itself. SI team could very well experience a huge drop in their following unless FM 2010 is completely revamped. Keep the database but update it and refresh it. On the other hand invest in a more visually engaging match environment. Revamp media comments and Manager-staff as well as Manager-Player interaction. THe core elements are there what it needs is new programming and a whole lot more immersive environment.

I think there's a combination of issues that mean that FM09 is just not fun to play anymore. On one hand you need to be a near tactical genius/have no life or basically steal someone elses tactic to do anything half decent. Secondly, despite the months and months of FMLive and the 1 update patch so far the game is STILL rife with numerous major bugs. Combine them and you have a game barely worth attempting.

I still have a love for FM and an urge to play the game - i just realise that 10mins after loading it and getting my a$$ kicked by nearly every team despite anything i do, its just not worth the effort anymore.

I really hope this second patch solves a lot of the problems im encountering. Im actually optimistic that my tactics will work once the bugs are fixed so there is light at the end of the tunnel for me personally.

Desire to play the game comes and goes dude.

I think about 90% of us FM players over do it, to be honest and eventually get burnt out once we start noticing the Repetitive cycle of the game.

From what I gather regarding FM postings on this forum, it almost seems as if the comunity is approaching the point of saturation with the game itself. SI team could very well experience a huge drop in their following unless FM 2010 is completely revamped. Keep the database but update it and refresh it. On the other hand invest in a more visually engaging match environment. Revamp media comments and Manager-staff as well as Manager-Player interaction. THe core elements are there what it needs is new programming and a whole lot more immersive environment.

I would agree but then dis-agree with you Don,from maybe 97/98 season to maybe 01/02 I never felt burned out I was always playing and loving it,in my opinion yes they have to change it but I feel the problem lies in they changed it too much,sure lets have the 3D etc but lets go back to when the game was more accessible,lets get the fun back and not a game where you need to be either very lucky or have your coaching badges to understand what is going on(even then it seems to be alot more on hidden dice rolls).

Either make the sliders more easy to understand how it is effecting your team or give your ass manager the power to change certain things,taking an hour from game to game with all the tactics and injuries isnt my idea of fun.

Revamp media comments and Manager-staff as well as Manager-Player interaction. THe core elements are there what it needs is new programming and a whole lot more immersive environment.

No and no... whats needed is a total revamp of the ME and tactical screen, all the media player/manager crap is just window dressing. The match engine and how people interact with it is what needs updating, a totally new approach to formations and tactics would completely refresh the whole series.

sometimse i get a few cans in and play the game, its amazing how much a little alcohol can bring up your enthusiam and your will to get good results through the roof :p

edit: i really should spell check before posting, oh well cba now :D

I always start in the Lower Leagues to be honest.

Are thre any decent tactics to download on the tactics forum yet? Particularly for LLM? Might get me interested if I can just play for an hour here and there rather than it being a career choice!

I must admit what I find really amusing is for all your moaning that "your not into it" - you still then feel the need to come onto these forums and moan about it.

If it was that bad you wouldnt even think about coming on here.

As for the bugs, christ, there will always be bugs in an FM game - there is no such thing as an perfect game - even games like Gears of War have bugs in them. Every god damn year we've had "Ive played the game since Victoria was on the throne, its riddled with bugs, my strikers dont score, my tactics dont work so the game is broke" etc etc etc.

If you dont like it, dont play it, its that damn simple.

No and no... whats needed is a total revamp of the ME and tactical screen, all the media player/manager crap is just window dressing. The match engine and how people interact with it is what needs updating, a totally new approach to formations and tactics would completely refresh the whole series.

I apologize for not being detailed enough in my reply.

I agree with you in that the tactical interface needs to be addressed but at the same time it needs to stay true to real world. I disagree with the notion of adjusting the tactics so people could understand them. Instead, people should read the tutorial and understand every detail of tactics. I am sure they have tutorials and guides that explain this.

My argument for revamping media comments and player manager interaction and even including PLayer-fans interaction is this...

1.For example C Ronaldo wanting to get to R. Madrid and making ManU fans angry to the point of them not wanting to have him play for Manu anymore...

2.More impactful player-manager interaction especially youth players. More 1 on 1 private guidance that impacts players development in club, interest in position. Ex player having a hard time fitting in and you suggest a language course or link him with a player from the club with similar personality for quicker adaptation...things of that nature...

List goes on and on.

I will agree that the game has become a bit more hands on, especially with player conditioning seemingly gone down, so a constant rotation plus strings of injuries makes management much more involved. As for the tactics, I don't get why some people are so worked up. Maybe I was lucky and the tactics I've used in previous versions happen to work well in this version, but it seems fine to me.

My only serious problem is the player conditioning. The absolute need for rotation is constant in this version. I regularly can't get my forwards and midfielders back over 95% for the next game, so it takes away the excitement of landing a playmaker or scorer when he only appears in around half your games.

Why don't they make hard and easy settings eh, and maybe moderate too?

FM 09 with its tactical tinkering is too hard for many. FM 08 was a bit too easy for me, I like FM 09's playability, I'm addicted but I can understand how someone could not be. A lot of games have hardness settings - why not impliment it? There would be multiple ways to go about it.

I agree with your point about the sliders. It's too hard to decipher the impact one notch has one way or the other. It also doesn't seem consistent across the different tactical aspects. For instance, increasing mentality by one notch seems to have a far less significant impact than increasing closing down by a notch. In my opinion there needs to be more clear descriptions given to the numbers. At the moment there are 21 notches (0-20) with five descriptions (for instance for mentality - ultra defensive (UD), defensive(D), normal (N), attack(A), all out attack (AOA)) UD & AOA account for 2 of the 21 notches (0 and 20 respectively) leaving the other 19 notches covered by only 3 descriptions. For me personally, a more text driven tactics system would be preferable but I appreciate that:

1. This will upset the purists!

2. FM is effectively a number crunching programme

I must admit what I find really amusing is for all your moaning that "your not into it" - you still then feel the need to come onto these forums and moan about it.

If it was that bad you wouldnt even think about coming on here.

As for the bugs, christ, there will always be bugs in an FM game - there is no such thing as an perfect game - even games like Gears of War have bugs in them. Every god damn year we've had "Ive played the game since Victoria was on the throne, its riddled with bugs, my strikers dont score, my tactics dont work so the game is broke" etc etc etc.

If you dont like it, dont play it, its that damn simple.

Thats the whole point of the thread isnt it?

The OP wants to get back into it, but hes struggling to find that 'addictivness' that hes probably had previously and there seems to be many in the same boat

I dont like it at the moment. I wasnt aware of any unwritten rule where by if you dont like something you cant comment on it.

High horse.........

I can definitely see where Jimmyt is coming from. It's hard for me to judge whether I'm the same as I played the demo and really enjoyed it, bought the game yesterday but haven't played it yet, but I think that's because I've got a lot on (tomorrow night, when I'm free of all stress, I'll see how much I want to go on and that'll test me).

CMs and FMs have always been a bit come and go. I remember on about CM 2002 I had a Cardiff file and would often go on horror runs of form and not go on for the next few days as I couldn't face the prospect of going back on and reliving my 5-1 defeat at home to Bury, whilst preparing for another home defeat against Barnet. But every Sunday my temporary disdain for the game would vanish, as the whole family used to go in and watch Auf Wiedersehen Pet in the front room and I wasn't fond of it so wouldn't. That'd leave me in the dining room, with no good computer games to play on (I only used to like playing Nintendo games with my brothers, didn't enjoy many games individually), I couldn't go outside and kick a ball about as it'd be too dark, so was almost forced into playing CM. I'd then put it on, reluctantly play that Barnet game, beat them 3-0 and suddenly love life again. When Auf Wiedersehen finished and the brothers came back in and wanted to play multi player Mario Kart with me, I'd be beating them off telling them to give me 5 more minutes and let me play one more game...

I guess my point is it's always been in CM's nature to frustrate you and make you feel like you don't want to play the game sometimes. Jimmy, I'd suggest going on, maybe plugging through a few games and getting used to it, tinker a bit, it all might not seem very enjoyable but eventually, when you get the right formation and start tonking teams, you might find your desire to play will return. Hope your work it out.

PS As a sidenote, I really am not fond of certain people on this forum who cannot accept any criticism/negativity about FM, and are so appalled that someone has had the audacity to say they don't like something that they resort to petty sarcastic comments and requests that the thread be removed. If you're loving the game, great, but appreciate that some aren't quite as lucky as you and haven't ''re-bit'' the FM bug if you like (I don't mean the type of bug that is usually associated with FM either! Ooops, what have I just said?!! :eek:. )

Archived