Does FM need a new 'billionaire' feature?

Let me try to explain where I'm coming from. Managing Chelsea we're obviously not short of a bob or two to spend on players but I was thinking of a new feature that could make it even more realistic (to my mind anyway).

If the club owner could have a 'wealth' setting, (i.e. Abramovich would be a multi-billionaire), this could override the club's own wealth when it comes to transfers.

So Chelsea might have 'only' £100m in the bank and, say, £50m for transfers. But if I spend it and still want another player or two I should have the option of speaking to the owner and requesting more funds from his bottomless pit.

Whether he would give them to me or not would depend on things like my reputation and current success (or otherwise). This would reflect the situation at Chelsea when Roman fell out with Jose and wouldnt give him much cash to spend, (hence Tal Ben Haim). However, if the owner and manager got on great I could tell him I want to sign 'x' player and he would give the funds to the club to make the transfer.

Hope this makes sense - do you think there's any merit in the idea?

Is this not the same as asking the board for more funds? Yes, that would come out of the club budget, but i'm sure even Abramovich has limitations on how much he'd flaunt on Chelsea. I would jsut assume the bank balance is his money, but with a limitation on how much he's willing to bankroll them.

Originally posted by Nomis07:

Is this not the same as asking the board for more funds? Yes, that would come out of the club budget, but i'm sure even Abramovich has limitations on how much he'd flaunt on Chelsea. I would jsut assume the bank balance is his money, but with a limitation on how much he's willing to bankroll them.

I take your point but my understanding is that asking for more transfer funds is just going to allocate more of the club bank balance. Whereas the papers are suggesting that this summer Chelsea could spend between £50m and £100m on new players - this isnt currently Chelsea's money so the owner's own wealth has to be factored in somehow. I think at Chelsea its in the form of interest free loans to the club.

As far as I know the interest free loans is just specualtion.

I know what you're saying, but what I mean is that the in game bank balance is more of a guide to the most amount of money Abramovich is willing to pump in.

Its not a good idea since its already represented in game. First of all the clubs balance is how much the chairman would be willing to put into it anyway so its like the same thing. Plus the resources attribute a chairman has is also like the same thing. Finally there is the "sugar daddy" option in the editor, but thats more like Man City then Chelsea and I am not sure if it works in FM08, it worked in FM07 very nicely icon_biggrin.gif

The original poster is right, although I'd disagree on mechanism.

Basically, FM has a very basic, simplistic modelling of club management above you, and the range of different roles and types of ownership are not represented.

It should be perfectly possible to have an "Owner" who is capable, if he wants, of simply topping up your transfer budget.

The existing options do not represent this well enough as they inject cash into the club overall, or rely on you psychically predicting what the chairman wants.

Originally posted by ACJMY2K:

The owners could buy you players too ie Shevchenko to Chelski

Well.. they do...

Berlusconi has done it and so has Abromovich...

The last time I played with Chelsea (that bottomless pit of money is very tempting) Abromovich flaunted cash on a very average player. He never got to play for me though :p In Addition Abromovich gladly went above the transfer budget when I overspent on Gerrard and David Villa. Message came up saying something like

"Abromovich has decided to pay for the transfer of Steven Gerrard out of his own pocket, as he feels the club will benefit from this transfer"

The sugerdady thing works, it's just not an every-season event.

Archived