Question for SI about player instructions

Could someone from SI give me an idea of how much player instructions can change things as far as the game programming goes? I did a season with Newcastle while doing what I thought were my own logical player instructions and finished 9th. Now I've started again and I'm not touching the player instructions at all, but I seem to be doing just as well if not slightly better.

And if I am going to stay away from player instructions, then would it be worth changing just one or two instructions for one player if he's the only one not doing as well as everyone else? Would the game acknowledge that change?

There doesn't seem to be too much information in the new hints and tips document about player instructions (although I know that most of them are self-explanatory), but I would be interested to know what SI's views are on them.

Oh yeah and while I'm here, can having a smaller squad help the squad perform better overall, maybe because players might think they have less competition for places, and have more chance of getting in the team?

• SI Staff
Could someone from SI give me an idea of how much player instructions can change things as far as the game programming goes? I did a season with Newcastle while doing what I thought were my own logical player instructions and finished 9th. Now I've started again and I'm not touching the player instructions at all, but I seem to be doing just as well if not slightly better.

They can affect things a LOT - however bear in mind that changing things doesn't always mean for the better and in their 'default' mode players will act sensibly although possibly not quite optimally.

And if I am going to stay away from player instructions, then would it be worth changing just one or two instructions for one player if he's the only one not doing as well as everyone else? Would the game acknowledge that change?

Any changes you make will affect the game (otherwise there'd be no point us allowing you to do them ;) ).

I personally play using default instructions for most players - tuning those only for a couple of 'star' players normally and like you tweaking things slightly if a player is doing poorly ..

There doesn't seem to be too much information in the new hints and tips document about player instructions (although I know that most of them are self-explanatory), but I would be interested to know what SI's views are on them.

Ok point taken - I'll try and expand that area for next years version :D

Oh yeah and while I'm here, can having a smaller squad help the squad perform better overall, maybe because players might think they have less competition for places, and have more chance of getting in the team?

Squad size is a real quandry at times - having a large squad obviously helps if you pick up a few injuries ... but also makes it harder to get a team to 'gel' and keep everyone happy.

On the other hand a small squad can make players complacent if they know they're the only left back or whatever.

As with much of management there isn't a perfect setup - its entirely up to you to decide which approach you want to take.

(if it helps though I tend to go with a large squad BUT keep all my backups young so they'll be slightly more patient and happy with playing bit roles - if they haven't forced their way into the squad by the age of 23 I then look to move them on as they probably never will)

Archived