can you use two formations?

in days of old I used to use a 4-5-1 defensively and switch to a 4-3-3 against weaker teams or when chasing a game.

i was wondering, does fm 09, with the punitive formation change-so-we'll-all-play-like-fannies effect allow you to get a squad used to more than one formation so that you can switch between them without getting hammered?

You can, or at least I have, I usually use a 532 defensive formation because I'm the type that likes to not concede and nick a winning goal late on, but I use a 4312 for games I know I'll need to do plenty of attacking in because the opposition are likely to be playing that way themselves.

It seems to me that it's changing three or four players in the first choice 11 that may upset the squad consistency more than a formation switch.

I switch between formations all the time. Not sure what you mean.

One of the things I've noticed is that it's easy to get a goal quickly straight after half time by changing formation during the break. Unfortunately I usually concede two shortly after that as the AI also switches tactics. I guess I just need to change again.

Also, winning games is a lot easier when you look at your players and see which formation suits THEM best (the Capello approach) rather than picking the formation you prefer and shoehorning the players into that (McLaren).

You can, or at least I have, I usually use a 532 defensive formation because I'm the type that likes to not concede and nick a winning goal late on, but I use a 4312 for games I know I'll need to do plenty of attacking in because the opposition are likely to be playing that way themselves.

It seems to me that it's changing three or four players in the first choice 11 that may upset the squad consistency more than a formation switch.

so does this rule out squad rotation as a viable approach in 09 then? i mean, i think barring italy it has become a more or less deprecated style of management in england but in the game also?

Archived