What mental stats do you look for in young players?

Question:

When you are looking to sign some really young players who are NOT guaranteed stars, what attributes other than the obvious ones required for their position do you feel are important or that a sign that you will be able to train them into a good player? I would think the obvious ones are determination and work rate, but what other stats do you look for?

Work rate, teamwork, determination, fitness ... but most of all, I look at their personality. I refuse to sign (or develop) anyone who is not to some degree professional or loyal. A Balanced youngster who is willing to be mentored can become a member of my squad if he adapts his attitude under training, so I'll take them as well, if their "key" attributes are decent.

Determination. This is the single most important attribute for a player at Manchester United to come through. It was once said that players will not come through the ranks at United if they are not sufficiently determined, so i applied this philosophy in my game! Other than that i look at attributes that are "special"

Positioning, Off the ball running, Creativity, First Touch, anticipation, technique. These suggests how special the youngster is.

Archived