New guy

Hello. I am a long time text game player with zero knowledge of the game we call "soccer" here in the states.

I'd like to change that, as I have picked up Football Manager 2009 today.

It is like learning a new language, not understanding the leagues, how matches are set, the players and their positions (what the hell does a striker do?). You get the idea.

Are there any good places where a total and complete new guy to the world of ....ahem...football can go to learn about the game, the leagues and how to play Football 2009?

Thanks

http://www.fm-britain.co.uk/downloads/TTF_Documents_Tactics.zip

explains tactics in relation to the match engine.

with regard positions: the premise is you score more goals than your opponent you win. you may decide not conceeding goals is a better premise.

its all about your approach ..

look to establish a) a formation (most recommend a basic 4-4-2 to begin with) b) a tactic set consisting of 3-5 variations of the formation: usually attack, balance, defense, shut up shop, gung ho etc. what defines a variation is mentalities and individual roles e.g. support, defense, attack. getting the balance right is key. if you understand grid iron you can apply that to soccer. same philosophy different sport.

strive for consistency (hahahah!) and build from the back as we say in europe: a sound offense is based on a sound defense eg. dont ask players to do things they are not capable of doing and don't be too adventerous away from home.

the rest is luck.

:thup:

The 2009 edition of FM is a real tough game to start on. plus it isn't fully patched yet. It's a pity you didn't start 15 years ago so you'd be eased into it. :p

it sure is. fm tradition dictates the game is a mess until february. so dont get too exited if you cant make anything work before then. just take the rough with the smooth and be sure to address all your semi coherent rantings and outbursts at miles jacobsen personally. :)

If you have got a games console, pick up a second hand copy of Winning Eleven Soccer (also called Pro Evolution Soccer) from a few years ago (the rules wont have changed). It's easier to learn the game by playing it and I'd imagine you can't walk outside and ask a few lads for a game like you probably could over here. By playing that you can learn the rules of the game, the ideas behind tactics and the roles each player plays. It's also something you can do for 10 / 15 minutes when you have time. There is no doubt a local football team near you, even if they're rubbish. It won't hurt to go watch one of those games.

The good news is, soccer is the easiest team sport to learn the basics of, if one of the harder ones to master.

This thread is crying out for Amaroq.

Pretty much what I was going to say. I'll pm him a link :D

Edit: I actually found the last one of these threads he posted in.

Post 8 in this thread will probably be of some benefit. Along with most of the links provided.

Also I will extend the same courtesy to you as the OP in the linked thread. If you want to use my training schedules or tatics as a starting point for your own, then I am happy to share them with you.

Hope this helps, unfortunately I can take no credit for any of it, all the credit is Amaroq's.

I also live in the states and have purchased my first copy of FM. The biggest problem I have is the reserve and U-18 matches. Even though I set my own tactics and lineup. After the game is simulated, I look at the stats and the lineup is not what I had. Plus there are U-18 guys playing in the reserve matches that I did not even select as Reserve available. Can I change this?

You should be able to set in your team options for reserve/U-18 teams to "use same tactics" or some setting like that, which should solve the first problem. As for the second - do you have a full reserve team? (11 starting players and around 5 spare players to be substituted on mid-match if required) If your reserve team is short-staffed or you've loaned loads of reserve players out, then your reserve team manager will have to dip into the U-18s to fill his squad. Also, while he can't use first teamers without your say-so, I don't believe there's anything stopping him from calling up U-18s to the reserve squad if he thinks they're good enough, so I'm not sure that you can stop this. It shouldn't matter too much though, the important thing is that they're getting games.

I also live in the states and have purchased my first copy of FM. The biggest problem I have is the reserve and U-18 matches. Even though I set my own tactics and lineup. After the game is simulated, I look at the stats and the lineup is not what I had. Plus there are U-18 guys playing in the reserve matches that I did not even select as Reserve available. Can I change this?

- Go to your Team Settings and tick the 'Use Current Tactics' for Reserves and U18. Click confirm.

- You need to have enough players in the Reserves in order for the U18 players to not get called up. But if the U18 player get selected, look at his stats and see if he is doing very well there in the reserves.

Perhaps your coach is trying to tell you something about this lad.

"look, he's done supreme in the U18s, i stick him up the reserves, he'd made me proud, he's like a wondercanolli. i have faith in his brimming potential bucket"

Cheers.

Archived