2,260 players retire on the same day!?

In my game as AFC Wimbledon, I keep a keen eye on players that have been released by premiership and championship clubs. Being in the conference obviously means I don't have much money so i rely heavily on free transfers.

As im sure you all know it is virtually impossible to sign decent young decent players if ur reputation is too low. Virtually no players released would sign for me even if i offered them £900 a week.

For some reason though they werent signing for anyone else either which is ridiculous as many would be good in league 1, 2 and conference.

On December 7th 2009 i got around 20 messages saying that players i would have loved had retired, all of them very young.

I looked on the player search screen at all the unattached players and there were only 145 players. This seemed too few so I went back to a previous save and continued up untill the 6th December (the day before all the retirements) and on the player search screen there were 2,405 players.

So in one day 2,260 players all decided to retire!! Obviously this needs addressing as it severly weakens the game in terms of players for lower league teams.

sorry if this is already a known problem btw.

I know what you are talking about. As a League 2 team I go after the free transfers as well and although on my shortlist there were players a bit above my head, they would not sign for me and instead retired at 24, 25, or 26 when they had the ability to start in the Championship. I really don't understand how no one picks them up and then they are willing to retire rather than go to a Championship or lower level team.

it's a bit over the top on the game, but it is somewhat realistic in concept

i mean, if a 19 year old get released from, say, Arsenal and the best offer he can find to get back in the game is from a BSN/S team who will pay him peanuts, he might think it more worthwhile to continue education or get a job as a plumber or something

I've been having the same problem in my career game. Most notably players like Fred Sears, Jose Baxter and Fabio. All have ended up retiring after spending a season without a club. Now I understand that dropping down to League One is a bit of a dip, especially when the club offering you a contract is Leigh Genesis. However, I'm offering them £90k per year to sign for me, plus decent match and goal bonuses, and a yearly wage rise.

Now looking at the bigger picture, is a footballer who probably hasn't really worried about his education, going to find employment outside the world of football where he is paid more than £90k a year? I think not, there aren't many people who do earn that kind of money. Quite frankly it's nonsense, after a certain amount of time these players should surely consider dropping a few divisions if the pay is still good, and taking a year or two to impress bigger clubs. Wouldn't this make more sense than constantly refusing based on the club's rep and then retiring to earn peanuts outside football?!

In my game as AFC Wimbledon, I keep a keen eye on players that have been released by premiership and championship clubs. Being in the conference obviously means I don't have much money so i rely heavily on free transfers.

As im sure you all know it is virtually impossible to sign decent young decent players if ur reputation is too low. Virtually no players released would sign for me even if i offered them £900 a week.

For some reason though they werent signing for anyone else either which is ridiculous as many would be good in league 1, 2 and conference.

On December 7th 2009 i got around 20 messages saying that players i would have loved had retired, all of them very young.

I looked on the player search screen at all the unattached players and there were only 145 players. This seemed too few so I went back to a previous save and continued up untill the 6th December (the day before all the retirements) and on the player search screen there were 2,405 players.

So in one day 2,260 players all decided to retire!! Obviously this needs addressing as it severly weakens the game in terms of players for lower league teams.

sorry if this is already a known problem btw.

Same happened to me..Some well known players that released from their clubs retired after some time because no one signed them, even players at the age of 19-20..

it's a bit over the top on the game, but it is somewhat realistic in concept

i mean, if a 19 year old get released from, say, Arsenal and the best offer he can find to get back in the game is from a BSN/S team who will pay him peanuts, he might think it more worthwhile to continue education or get a job as a plumber or something

Yes of course i expect some players to retire but not players that have the quality to be playing league 1 football and to earn a couple of grand a week.

I also noticed something else. All the english players that had not retired were ones that had been playing in the current season. Not one english player that was released in august is still on the game!

The daft thing is with some of these players, especially if they're quite decent youngsters. You sign them up then there is a whole host of teams in lower leagues who want them on loan and willing to pay the wages. I noticed this with a couple of free youngsters I signed (hobbs and that delfouenso sp?) both are now on loan in the championship but no one wanted them besides me, I've even had some premiership teams sniffing around in january.

Archived