FM 10 on the iphone/ipod touch

Would an FM app for iPhones (and similar) be popular with fans?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Would an FM app for iPhones (and similar) be popular with fans?

I'm not to sure whether this is the best place to put this thread so if i should post it elsewhere let me know.

owners of these devices will know about the 3rd party apps available to install. I'm a big fan of FM and would love to see SI/SEGA bring FM 10 (to late for this year) to the ipod. I know you could argue their's already a handheld version on the PSP, however I've played on these versions and find them to difficult to navigate, a problem i believe could be fixed using the ipod's touch screen. Let me know if my idea seems reasonable or whether there would be some limitations.

I'm not to sure whether this is the best place to put this thread so if i should post it elsewhere let me know.

owners of these devices will know about the 3rd party apps available to install. I'm a big fan of FM and would love to see SI/SEGA bring FM 10 (to late for this year) to the ipod. I know you could argue their's already a handheld version on the PSP, however I've played on these versions and find them to difficult to navigate, a problem i believe could be fixed using the ipod's touch screen. Let me know if my idea seems reasonable or whether there would be some limitations.

im not to sure but i think that the iphone/touch would be to limited to be able to support fm but like i say im not to sure but it would probably be to limited but would be nice to have touch screen fm lol

why not if your willing to sacrifice some of your memory, after all it doesn't have to contain all the leagues and could be on a small database

But you see it doesn't really work that. The iPod Touch would have to be fairly powerful (not sure if it is or not, even though I have one :p) to run FM & to make me consider buying it. Its not all about memory is all I'm saying.

I know where your coming from that's why on my original post i asked if their would be any limitations, so I would be nice to here from SI to confirm whether it would be possible.

Fair enough :thup: Not a bad idea at all but I don't know if SI would be interested in making an iPod Touch version of the game, considering that they no longer make the Xbox360 version to focus on the PC/Mac game.

My guess would be that these devices are no where near powerful enough to run FM. Just a guess though, don't really know much about the devices.

I would put my house on the 3D being one 'Limitation' as you put it.

I'd be surprised if it was able to run 2D, never mind 3D :D

My guess would be that these devices are no where near powerful enough to run FM. Just a guess though, don't really know much about the devices.

I would put my house on the 3D being one 'Limitation' as you put it.

it doesn't have to be 3D it can be like the PSP and stick to 2D or even just commentary I know it would be asking to much to get the full version but a watered down version would do me fine.

It would be a completely different game. For one I think there are probably limits on the app size, meaning you'd only get a few leagues, possibly just the one! Its simply not a machine designed to run such a database of a game even if it has lots of 'storage' space.

Iphone FM would take a fair bit of effort for so much would need to be redesigned. I doubt the sales would be worth it.

There are some manager games on the way, some with 3D engines, but they wont hold a candle to the experience we know as FM.

• 4 months later...
Guest Hutchy_Muse

Sorry for the huge bump (Google'd ya see...) but with Championship Manager releasing a manager sim for the Iphone/Ipod Touch, do you think FM will?

Well I think this would be a very good idea. I was watching the Gadget Show last week or so and it was comparing the different next gen handheld consoles. The PSP came last with a score of 8/10 but was notified as the console for full on gamers. The Nintendo DSi came in at a 9/10 and has the potential to become a great handheld system with its photo capture feature and finally keeping on topic the Itouch/phone. Now I was suprised here myself. It was given a 10/10 and I'm certain that it said the system held more power than the PSP. I'm not 100% sure but it was given the comments of that it is the next advancement in handheld technology. So to me it seems that having a watered down version wouldn't be too much of a problem!

From what I've read about the iPhone it is more powerful than the PSP. Better processor, more memory (ram), bigger screen. I'm not sure about the GPU but I do think that a simplified version would be more than possible.

Thing is though, how much do iPhone games and apps sell for? Would it really be worth SI making it for the iPhone?

No cause if I got it on my iPod touch aswell I'd never stop playing the game! It's hard enough to force myself to leave my PSP at home when I go off to lectures, haha. Speaking of which, haven't played FMH09 in a while...

I don't think you could get the game on the iphone, but i had a half decent idea the other dah that might work. You can a application for the iphone or itouch that essentially controls your computer, and gives you a visual representation of the screen. I was wondering whether you could run FM with this app, as it would be the computer running it, but you'd be playing it on your iphone. I hope that makes sense.

of course you could, there is already one out called Soccer Manager, and one coming out soon called MYFC which looks excellent and just covers the main features, SI could easily do it, but since profit is usually the main aim in a business, SI know they wouldnt make too much, so would probably leave this idea on the waiting list, and concentrate on the PC/Mac versions.

• 4 weeks later...

I know there's not much chance of an official answer, but just in case the tech-guys are watching, would this be a good idea? I don't just mean for the iPhone, of course - G1 and the others should play too.

Cham Man have done it and it's not a bad way to spend an hour on the train. Still really clunky, though. I expect SI could do a better job of it.

Basically, it's England only, buy and sell players, training, 2D matches, and a couple of other things from the 'real' game.

I think it would be fun - i own a G1 and have downloaded a manager game but its a bit too busy and not very good.

If SI could release fm for G1/iPhone etc id enjoy the train alot more!! 2 hrs a day of fm - garenteed. :o)

I wouldnt mind playing commentary only.

1 league - 1 country, nothing mega, just time killer on the way to work..........

Its an idea!!

To be honest, it doesn't seem possible, to me.

Consider the amount of space the GUI occupies in FM, and trying to put it on, say, an iPhone, even with its scrolling novelties, is difficult.

The specs on the phones are definitly getting better to accomodate a small text-based app or 2D modeling of FM, but i think the graphics aren't quite up to it yet.

My HTC Touch HD has a 500mhz CPU and 288Mb of RAM so it could handle a small app without too much hassle!

CM09 on iPhone is 8mb and runs fairly quickly. Cost me £3.49 from the App Store. Only thing is, like Fifa Manager, it's really cumbersome to use. One league only and not a very big database. I couldn't find Lucio the other day. So it's pretty limited.

Any FM10 iPhone app will be a massively scaled down version and not able to move to your PC etc. I spend 2 hours a day on trains, so it would make the journey more enjoyable. I can't see me sticking out CM much longer.

• 3 months later...

This might sound outrageous to most of you so i'm expecting a lot of flaming but....

I think i'd rather they concentrated more on getting the PC/Mac version of the game right before meddling into new ventures. The amount that people moan on these forums about the game not being perfect and then come up with a suggestion to almost double SI's workload would surely not be a good thing.

I think give it 2 or 3 years until the game is spot on and they can employ a whole new section of SI Towers dedicated to a mobile version.

No, because the PSP version is rubbish. Some stats are cut and the options are severely lacking. It also looks rubbish. I don't understand why they couldn't have put more on because it only took up about 60mb apparently and the UMD can hold 1.5gb.

Archived