[FM2009] Goalkeeper assists

Just to know whether it only happens to me...

Copy paste this in a reply:

Goalkeeper name:

Club:

League:

Games played:

Assists:

Att. crossing:

Goalkeeper name: Laurent Pichon

Club: Como

League: Italian Serie C2/A

Games played: 32

Assists: 5

Att. crossing: dunno, not at home right now

After 10 games my goalkeeper had 4 assists and was topping the assist ranking.

I want to know if this only happens in lower league (with crappy defenders) or not. Seems the defender are trying to open the offside trap whenever the goalkeepers kicks the ball forward, but they do it like two seconds after the ball has been dispatched.

This is probably not wholly relevent but I've noticed similar on FM Live (based on the same engine) - my goalkeeper has about 20 assists in 330 games. It tends to be against defenders who push up, my goalkeeper will kick a long ball behind them and my pacey strikers will nip in behind and get the goal.

I've not played enough games in FM09 yet to give you a direct comparison but will give you feedback when I do...

Goalkeeper name: Me, in real life

Club: Vestavia Hills Football Club (youth team, USA)

League: Germantown (TN) Invitational Tournament, 1989

Games played: 3

Assists: 1

Att. crossing: N/A

Yep, I did it in real life once. Really windy night, and I cranked the ball upfield. The wind caught it and carried it over everyone, and one of our forwards latched onto it, beat the other team's GK, and slotted it home. One of my finest moments as a GK.

In game terms, I set my GK distribution to "long kick". Instead of punting the ball upfield, he'll lay it on the turf, take a few dribbles, and then crank it upfield. A lot of the times he'll catch one of the forwards on a break. They don't always score, but at least you get a decent goalscoring opportunity.

You can limit it by telling your forwards to close down the opposing team's GK. It still happens every now and then, but not nearly as much as it did before I started closing down the opposing team's GK.

Archived