Regens.. "too good" or "about time"

I'm in my second season on FM 2009 and have started to find a number of regens,

Take a look at this guy I've found... He's better now than most premiership strikers and I got him from Bohemians, I know Kevin Doyle and Stephen Hunt were both plucked from Irish football, but is this level of regen too good?

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii277/niktheblade/Regen.jpg

Wow, he's pretty damn good!

Tbh i'd rather have awesome regens than cack ones though.

There's so many that every team will have some, so it kind of evens it out, just like the last version, everyone else had terrible regens, so it was fair :D

I suppose, but the only problem is, I fear that I will get into season 10 or so and the level of players will be amazing compared with the first? has anyone noticed this in later seasons? I haven't got passed season 2 yet?

I suppose, but the only problem is, I fear that I will get into season 10 or so and the level of players will be amazing compared with the first? has anyone noticed this in later seasons? I haven't got passed season 2 yet?

just out of interest how did you find him was it a manual search or did your scouts find him

He is very good. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with regens. Not all regens are like him. I am at Leeds and have 2 intakes of youth players, and only 1 out of about 14 regens has been close to Championship quality. There is always going to be one or two who are just amazing. Like in real life.

Yeah i know what you mean, i've only managed to get 4 seasons in with Arsenal, till i got bored of winning everything.

Now i'm set up at Cruzeiro, and some of the regens there producing are crazy,

For example, this FOURTEEN year old right back appeared in season 1, pace isn't great but i can train that up.

t_Wallacem_3353760.jpg

I'm expecting big things!

actually I've run some checks on PA and at least on my save there are some regens that have the potential to be world class, some develop very well and are prem standard (ca wise, ~ 140) before the age of 20, and I really think the CA distribution is spot on!

The reason why their attributes are amazing is that most regens are single-footed. That needs to be tweaked.. Young players need to improve on their weaker foot, especially when they have great potential. I can't think of any top player that can't use his weaker foot at all.

The only way to answer this is to do a proper test - analysing the attributes of the players when you first load the game, and then comparing them, say, to the players you have 20 seasons in (and then repeating this a few times, ideally).

To do it properly, you'd need to wait for the new version of Genie Scout, which lets you export all the data (hidden attributes and all) to Excel, and makes comparisons much easier.

I'll definitely be having a go when it's released.

I think that any testing that has been done would suggest that the regens are spot on this time. Nbrocky gives some results in a thread on the bugs forum. These show a very good spread of regens (in terms of CA and PA) in a game 20 years advanced. Would be good to see some data from a forumites save game tho. Anyone ran this experiment yet?

The way to look at it with regens is to look at the average career span of a player and the average number of players in a squad.

Say on average a squad has 16 players who get a lot of first team football. It is also fair to assume that every player will have a career of about 16 years (18-34).

Therefore every year, on average, one player will retire from a team and one regen of similar quality should be replacing them.

So if there is roughly one regen capable of first team football for every club in the game each season, it is balanced.

Has anyone noticed anything significantly different to this?

i'm in 5th season and i can tell you the regens don't make the big difference. There are a couple of good regens but it's not every team that has one. Most of the times the "Good" regens will stay in their formation club until he reaches 18-19 years and then the big clubs buy them.

It's quite fair imo, the last FM regens were so damn poor.. every big teams like chelsea, man utd, barca,etc had a stupid and poor team full of sucky yougsters.

Now i feel i can continue playing and not be afraid of loosing the "Real" players beacuse there will be always some good regens for every kind of team.

I think that any testing that has been done would suggest that the regens are spot on this time. Nbrocky gives some results in a thread on the bugs forum. These show a very good spread of regens (in terms of CA and PA) in a game 20 years advanced. Would be good to see some data from a forumites save game tho. Anyone ran this experiment yet?

That's promising, but there's also the very important (but far more tricky) matter of attribute distribution as well.

On 2008 for instance, physical stats and set-piece stats were far lower overall, 20/30 years in. To me, well balanced attributes is just as important as CA and PA being consistent. And what about players with multiple positions? Is that fairly consistent across time?

There's a suggestion, already, that WFA (weaker-foot ability) is lower in regens, this time around, and that'll definitely have a knock-on effect for attributes.

Yeah i know what you mean, i've only managed to get 4 seasons in with Arsenal, till i got bored of winning everything.

Now i'm set up at Cruzeiro, and some of the regens there producing are crazy,

For example, this FOURTEEN year old right back appeared in season 1, pace isn't great but i can train that up.

t_Wallacem_3353760.jpg

I'm expecting big things!

That guy is a monster of a fourteen year old!

I know, i was amazed tbh, especially seeing as 08's regens were so poor!

My ass man says he's one of the best players of his generation, Cruzeiro do have state of the art youth facilities though, it's partly why i chose them, but also because it's more of a challenge than say, Sao Paulo.

They haven't got Marcelo Moreno anymore though, dissapointing :(

. I can't think of any top player that can't use his weaker foot at all.

David Beckham and Rivaldo are 2 notible top class players with abysmal weak feet IRL

But on the subject i always found regens were overpriced and usually only had 1 or 2 amazing stats and the rest were poor. im looking forward to the new regens in FM09.

I can't remember exact details but I vaguely remember hearing something about player progression curves being more varied. So for instance these "super" regens may peak out at about 18-19-20? As some might argue the likes of Rooney or Owen did IRL (up for debate I know but just illustrating the point). While some players may be relatively undistinguished at youth level but hitting their peak in their late 20s or even early 30s?

I haven't got more than 2 seasons into a save as yet, so maybe someone who's got further in can confirm or debunk my theory?

Ive had 3 class regens from my state of the art now and one I bought as a 16 year old. LB RB DC and a ST. All wonderkids and all made me between £15 and £20 mil.

No different from 08 really, most teams in premiership had more 10-15 mil regens in them after 10+ years. In fact as England manager in 08 think my cheapest player was 9 or 10 mil and most were 25 mil + after 25 years played where as in 09 six years in 2 players over 12 mil in england squad.

I also have the feeling that the regens are good. But not too good. Look at some of the youngsters in the game, for example Bojan, Balotelli. At only 17 they have great stats already. In previous versions youngster never got this good this early. Now i even got a 14 year old brazilian with CA110. This was never possible in previous FMs.

The distribution of high potential was good, but youngster had a low CA and their CA grew quickly during their teens. I like it better when they have better CA upon regeneration, but develop more slowly.

I'd be disappointed if it was back reverted to how it was previously. I just think people have a false perception that regens are too good, because they're used to bad regens.

But indeed, a holiday is necessary to compare the values of 2008 with those of 2020 or so, using a good scouting tool.

I think they might be a little too good - maybe 10 points of CA over how it should be - but also, I think the AI doesn't recognise quick enough just how good some of them are. They have them on pathetic wages and the sell values are far too low.

They're good now.

Just need to be more based on CA & PA if you get me.

They start off too good now is the remaining problem. The fun is finding them and then helping them to progress into someone amazing.

I don't have a problem with great youngsters being in the game, in general. I too thought poor regens were the big gamebreaker in FM 2008. However there are a few very obvious flaws with this exact example. Firstly, hes too young to be that good. Sure, there are wonderkids in reality. But a 19 year old striker with the physical ability of a beast, technically brilliant, mentally untouchable? It just doesn't happen. Secondly, why is such a beast of a player sitting in the Bohemians squad available for free? Furthermore, why can a League 1 club pick him up without any top teams getting interested? Why is he worth so little?

Nevertheless, I'm still undecided on this years regens. The footedness issue is definitely genuine. Other than that I cannot comment as I'm only in my fourth season in FM 2009. I'm waiting for someone to do a definite test on this ;)

I never saw a problem with the regens from 2008 except the set piece stats were crap, but so many people didn't like it so its good its changed, shows SI listened.

edit: I remember in FM05 German regens were insane (better than the best players in the world despite being 17), maybe this is happening in UK and Ireland this time?

David Beckham and Rivaldo are 2 notible top class players with abysmal weak feet IRL

But on the subject i always found regens were overpriced and usually only had 1 or 2 amazing stats and the rest were poor. im looking forward to the new regens in FM09.

ok, these are two that can't really use their weak foot, yet Beckham's left foot is rated "7" in the game, which seems somewhat correct as he surely is able to hit the ball. Most regens (and not just exceptions) that have CA/PA to be world beaters have a weaker foot rating of 3...

I don't believe Beckham cant use his left foot at all. Have you seen how much he trained by himself all the time. Surely he must of worked on his weaker foot as well. I think its just that as a right winger you're hardly going to use your left foot are you?

this is a bit of a noob question but what is a regen

A player created by the game; one who is not in the database at the start of play. It's short for "regenerated player" (based on the old model of creating them, in which regens were indeed regenerations of players who had retired).

Guest gooner-dynamo1992

I don't think there should be a frequent influx of great regens, but in 08, there were just not enough. And the good ones were always let down by their ridicilously low physicals, or one amazingly low attribute.

Take a look at this guy I've found... He's better now than most premiership strikers and I got him from Bohemians, I know Kevin Doyle and Stephen Hunt were both plucked from Irish football, but is this level of regen too good?

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii277/niktheblade/Regen.jpg

How on earth did you know that? Hunt has spent his entire career in England. I think you are thinking of Shane Long.

A one off is nothing to worry about IMO. Perfectly plausible.

How on earth did you know that? Hunt has spent his entire career in England. I think you are thinking of Shane Long.

A one off is nothing to worry about IMO. Perfectly plausible.

I'm not certain if this is new. My FM07 game (with the Irish leagues loaded, along with a host of Scandinavian and North European countries) produced a regular treadmill of very high standard Irish, Norwegian, Finnish and Icelandic nationality regens. And by very high standard, I mean walking into Arsenal/Liverpool sides at the age of 19 or 20.

Still - mildly overrated regens is preferable to the all-to-linear progression of mediocre Regens reported in FM08

I slightly overexaggerated Beckhams weak left foot but certainly rivaldo has no right foot, well ive never seen him use it.

Look at Roy Keane aswell, he was spotted in Fairview park at the age of 19 or 20 where i used to play ball and look at his talents, there are a lot of great irish players that never made it becuase of a lack of scouting, Roy Keane was very nearly missed especially since Cobh Ramblers lost 4-0 in the match he was spotted

Regen.jpg

He is the perfect TARGET MAN

Its not like the game is flooded of the players in the first post. Are people seriously suggesting there hasnt been any amazing 19 year olds?

Its not like every regen is like this, and its about time theres actually been some great regens in there teens.

DO NOT TAMPER WITH IT SI, ITS PERFECT.

Its not like the game is flooded of the players in the first post. Are people seriously suggesting there hasnt been any amazing 19 year olds?

Its not like every regen is like this, and its about time theres actually been some great regens in there teens.

DO NOT TAMPER WITH IT SI, ITS PERFECT.

I agree. The decent regens are the best thing about this version of FM imo.

Archived