FM Baqckstory - who are ya?

Go to the point on an FM save yesterday where it was boring me, so I decided to have a quick look through what other games I had on the shelf to have a go on for a bit, not wanting to start another FM game just yet cause of exams in the non too distant future.

I stumbled across Republic:the Revolution and thought I would re-emulate my political machinations of previous years to gain a supreme power and authority. Well I only got so far because I ran out of caring. However it gave me an idea for FM that I have seen in CM (well at least the phone version - yes I am that addicted lol).

Why not buy cars and.... lol kidding.

A back story. A simple questionnaire and selection system at the start of the game to make you feel like you re part of it, you have a history, and maybe a face? Who knows about that last part, but for having a quick set of questions to determine personality type, a page where you can create a playing career history and the like, and the ability to choose some favoured personnel from your playing days. If you want to be an unknown, you select so, if you want to feel that after 15 years of service for a club man and boy that you should be on their favoured list, you can too.

It would just be interesting to have some pre-defined attitude attributes. We all thought Keano would be a fiery dragon of a manager, calling opposition managers french words live on sky. But he is not. It would just be so much more immersive. You could then factor into this a better relations system, taking backroom and coaching staff with you on your travels (after a certain point you can interact with your coaching setup and say "I want you with me always, I love you") just to be like in real life (where the hired manager also brings his coaches and scouts as a bonus).

Any thoughts. If you don't like it, then what about buying cars etc in game? icon_wink.gif

icon14.gif Fair call.

There has been quite a lot of support for the idea of greater depth to the manager's personality and preferences, but here you're adding the idea of creating something of his history. Nice touch.

Could be tricky to implement tho' - e.g. if you choose to be a ex-international, that history you select will impact on real history. How do you get to be an England legend without majorly rewriting the English squad history and club histories you supposedly played for?

If it could be implemented however, it would be a good addition.

Obviously by adding that back story you would change history, though one way to look at it would be that you can be a legend without having changed competition history. Essentially we are only worried about the game's future being done in a realistic manner and as such changing the history of the club would be such that it would not affect the future of the game, except maybe to compare future players to your own legendary accomplishments.

Brilliant! I nearly choked on my Oasis laughing at that icon14.gif

I agree with the idea, sometimes I feel like managina a CCC team from the off but it really bothers me how unrealistic that it, that I just appeared and got a CCC job.

I think the history would be a great idea and the media could play on it much more (we always want more media!).

Forget to comment on the history change thing.

I don't think it would matter too much. Afterall, that sort of history isn't in FM to start with anyway. Sure we have references but I don't think this would put me off the idea any.

Originally posted by Neji:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Why not buy cars and.... lol kidding.

Brilliant! I nearly choked on my Oasis laughing at that icon14.gif

I agree with the idea, sometimes I feel like a mangina, it really bothers me how unrealistic that is.

I think the history would be a great idea and the media could play on it much more (we always want more media!). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by Dreaded Walrus:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

managina

I hope I'm not the only person that, at first glance, thought Neji was making a Boosh reference. :p </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No you're not. The Boosh is a great show.

Originally posted by Neji:

quote:

Brilliant! I nearly choked on my Oasis laughing at that Thumbs Up

I agree with the idea, sometimes I feel like a mangina, it really bothers me how unrealistic that is.

I think the history would be a great idea and the media could play on it much more (we always want more media!).

Lol, I am glad someone liked the joke. I think its just a missing part of the game. Plus we all hate the idea of a car and a wife really lol.

Great ideas and I would love to see them implementated as I hate the idea of taking over a club and no one has heard of me like Avram Grant. I know you can select a different reputation but I feel this is lowering the difficulty level.

You could then factor into this a better relations system, taking backroom and coaching staff with you on your travels

Doesnt't this happen already?

rubbish idea.

Now buying cars etc...

icon_razz.gif

I'm definitely for a more defined manager personality, and your idea of a simple questionnaire appeals to me and shouldn't be that hard to implement (surely?).

Although personally I'd be more interested in having a personality than a history, but each to his own.

The personality idea may be more useful in terms of game play with determining how the fans and players treat your initial control, as well as what people think of you before they come to the club (for example, an ex-international formerly of man united who is known as cool, calm and collected is going to get respect from different players than say a manager who as a player was known for his passion play and fiery character).

Surely for just the difficulty of linking your created "profile" with a player history and having a simple questionnaire pre-game we could create a plethora of back stories! Like a player who has become a manager purely because of early retirement due to injury. Or stopped short by injury. Or has had a long and successful career and wishes to continue. Or just wants to be a footy manager. etc.

There used to be a basic version of this back in the original CM. Basically you had a handfull of different personality choices at the start and certain personalities would get on with you and some wouldn't depending on what you chose. If I remember corretly Graham Souness was set as arrogant and players didnt seem to get on too well with him.

Originally posted by juve_curr:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Doesnt't this happen already?

Not really </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does, i've got Wouters, Solskjaer and Jeremies who follow me wherever I go. As soon as I take over another club they resign.

Originally posted by Cometdude:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> having a quick set of questions to determine personality type,

I LOVE this idea, you could have a reputation for giving the old "hair dryer treatment" right from the off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There could also be the interesting prospect of certain teams preferring certain styles of managers.

"Team X has sacked Manager Y. The club chairman says that the players had lost respect for the manager. The chairman has indicated that he may now be looking for a disciplinarian manager to take the helm, and those that are in the running include Player manager A..." e.t.c.

Well, I think it would be good. :p

Originally posted by Dreaded Walrus:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cometdude:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> having a quick set of questions to determine personality type,

I LOVE this idea, you could have a reputation for giving the old "hair dryer treatment" right from the off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like the idea too, and also for new chairmen coming in it could be used as another reason to move you on. At least I would feel they had a point. (I'm still bitter about being let go by West Brom despite taking them into Europe! lol)

There could also be the interesting prospect of certain teams preferring certain styles of managers.

"Team X has sacked Manager Y. The club chairman says that the players had lost respect for the manager. The chairman has indicated that he may now be looking for a disciplinarian manager to take the helm, and those that are in the running include Player manager A..." e.t.c.

Well, I think it would be good. :p </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by Cometdude:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dreaded Walrus:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cometdude:

Well, I think it would be good. :p </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like the idea too, and also for new chairmen coming in it could be used as another reason to move you on. At least I would feel they had a point. (I'm still bitter about being let go by West Brom despite taking them into Europe! lol)

*posted again as I cocked it up big time on my first go lol *

I haven't experienced your staff and assistants resigning yet, maybe I will at some point. Either way, I think it should be further developed that at some point you can state to an assistant and a set of coaches you wish to take them wherever you go if they are linked with another job or whatever.

The chairman interaction idea I like as well. This idea could just spawn up a nice extra piece of gameplay within the game. As brilliant as it is the game lacks on media and interaction. And realistically, I think it is fair to say that chairman and manager interactions regarding personalities and players styles has been rather noticeable this season in the premiership lol.

Archived