What determines a player's height?

probably going to get an infraction for that comment, but since they're across the middle-east and far east its hard to think of a name for them that comes to mind as asians is too broad lol, perhaps orientals? but thats what my local chinese takeaway is called so probably not...

but I think the game will take into account the averages of the region, weights and heights in with it all as the game does seem to get it right - lets be fair I've not seen many chinese, korean, japanese blokes who are above 6ft

well the chinks have a reputation for been small

note i say chinks in a completley underogatory way

Good thing you put that note at the bottom. For a second there, I thought you were just being a completely racist a**hole who should be shot.

EDIT: As for the topic, I would imagine it's all random based on a nationality factor. Like our racist user points out, Asians are generally shorter people, which appears to be reflected well in FM.

sorry i didnt think the word used was racist when actually talking about chinese people just when u reffered to all chines/japanese/koreans like that

i saw it as a shorter affectionate term such as brit for a british person

i apologize for any offence caused

also B.Stinson i am not racist just my post was a little naive im sorry

One of the most famous basketball players in the world is Chinese. I'd imagine basketball teams in China comprise players who are well above the national average height. Same with goalkeepers everywhere - taller than is the norm. So what's so strange about Chinese football players in the database?

use the editor & build yourself a new stadium next to a nukular power plant, that should sort it out.

or you could just stop managing in munchkin land

p.s if P.Binsons' comment was racist then it must also be racist to use the term "Brit" in reference to someone who is British.

words can't be racist, only the intent behind the words.

banning words isn't going to stop people from being racist, they'll just use/make-up others that aren't obvious to the "uninitiated" but are recognised by those who are.

besides, everyone's racist in some way, it's a function of the brain to generalise, anyone who thinks they're completely free of generalisations is an idiot

rorscahch2u

you're an idiot. A 'word' is not just a bunch of characters. A 'word' is a culture. A word IS a meaning.

The word 'chink' is not just a general short form like 'Brit'. It's specifically used with the intention to make the asian people seem inferior to whoever is saying it.

If words can't be racist, then why are white people shot over saying 'edit: oops this word is banned. (n*gg**)' even if they didn't mean anything by it?

It's not an issue of generalisation but an issue of inferior remarks.

You are either really confused/stupid or really ignorant to think racist words are just words used to generalise people.

rorscahch2u

you're an idiot. A 'word' is not just a bunch of characters. A 'word' is a culture. A word IS a meaning.

The word 'chink' is not just a general short form like 'Brit'. It's specifically used with the intention to make the asian people seem inferior to whoever is saying it.

If words can't be racist, then why are white people shot over saying 'edit: oops this word is banned. (n*gg**)' even if they didn't mean anything by it?

It's not an issue of generalisation but an issue of inferior remarks.

You are either really confused/stupid or really ignorant to think racist words are just words used to generalise people.

noooo choc-cheeeeep!

yoo ah tha wun hoo ees stoopeed!

yoo a lil pee-see midda class beetch thas wot!

banning words is for fascists

and plain *******.

if you deny something you give it power.

go check out Lenny Bruce you lil PC schoolgirl bitch!

noooo choc-cheeeeep!

and plain *******.

not only are you being racist, rude and ignorant, you think that words don't hold any meaning and only the intent behind it matters? that's ******** because the words itself convey the meaning and intent. According to you, it doesn't matter what people SAY, we're just expected to read their minds! Brilliant.

it is obvious that word C____ is used in a derogatory manner to describe chinese people and you must be living under a rock to not know that, and regardless of racist words, the 'accent' you're adopting in your message is quite obviously racist and is not subject to your theory that 'words don't mean anything' when you've quite obviously imitated and attempted to belittle their accents.

Also when did that word ever, and i mean ever become a commonly-used and accepted way as a short form to refer to chinese people? honestly?! certainly not where i live...

Moving away from such ignorant people and more on topic, yes chinese people are smaller on average but it doesn't mean tall players won't come out, though to be honest i'm surprised SI would go through the trouble into implementing such a trivial matter.

I didn't want to lower myself to posting in this thread but I just have to say that you, rorschach2u, are an incredibly ignorant individual and a terrible human being. You are in dire need of an education. You really ought to be embarrassed and ashamed.

I really think this thread needs closing before it becomes even more of an embarrassment to the SI Games forum.

Wow.. There's alot of ignorant people in here.

On topic, when I read the thread title I was going to come up with the sarcastic comment that the distance between the top of the persons head and the ground determin height, but I was beaten to it.

I thought that the height stat was just randomised.

im ignorent because i was unaware it was a racist term?

why is it obvious it was used in a derogatory manner?

many people say when they are going for a chinese im off for a c****y if they were belittling(excuse the pun on this particular thread) them why would they purchase there food

noooo choc-cheeeeep!

and plain *******.

Stop posting borderline racist rubbish and abuse. This is your last chance.

the 'accent' you're adopting in your message is quite obviously racist and is not subject to your theory that 'words don't mean anything' when you've quite obviously imitated and attempted to belittle their accents.

you've proved my point exactly.

the accent in my mind was somewhat Spanish.

but even then the nationality had nothing to do with what i was saying.

it was just a comic voice in my head that was making fun of how stupid you people are.

if words have "a culture"/connotation inherent in them then you must also realise that there is not only one culture & one connotation for every word. unless you yourself are the ignorant one who thinks that only your culture exists...?

which you (plural... meaning anyone who disagrees with me)

the "N-word" for example, is used positively by some & negatively for others.

you could also call me "fatass"... but it's your tone that will tell me wether or not you meant it derogatively or not.

ps. Gillsman

is it abusive if i say i think you are lacking in intelligence?

:cool:

Ignoring the racist bull and focusing on the silly posts, here's one:

I have a player named 'Hobbit' [he's real; he's a good youngster] - the records page tells me that he's the shortest player in my league. Clearly, therefore, skewed logic will tell you that a player's height depends on his name.

Ignoring the racist bull and focusing on the silly posts, here's one:

I have a player named 'Hobbit' [he's real; he's a good youngster] - the records page tells me that he's the shortest player in my league. Clearly, therefore, skewed logic will tell you that a player's height depends on his name.

as part of the Hobbit race i have to say i'm offended.

this is outright racism on Si's part.

not all Hobbits are shorter than humans.

i happen to be 3 inches taller than Gary Coleman.

p.s you're also lacking in intelligence

p.p.s post a screen

Human height varies according to both "nature" and "nurture". The particular human genome that an individual inherits is a large part of the first variable (nature) and a combination of health and environmental factors present before adulthood (when growth stops) are a major part of the second determinant ("nurture"). Hereditary factors include both genes and chromosomes, and are inborn. Environmental factors are events that occur before adult height is reached, such as diet, exercise, and living conditions.

When populations share genetic background and environmental factors, average height is frequently characteristic within the group. Exceptional height variation (around 20% deviation from average) within such a population is usually due to gigantism or dwarfism; which are medical conditions due to specific genes or to endocrine abnormalities. In regions of extreme poverty or prolonged warfare, environmental factors like malnutrition during childhood and/or adolescence may account for marked reductions in adult stature even without the presence of any of these medical conditions. This is one reason that immigrant populations from regions of extreme poverty to regions of plenty may show an increase in stature, despite sharing the same gene pool.

The average height for each sex within a population is significantly different, with adult males being (on average) taller than adult females. This difference may be attributed to sex chromosomal differences, XY (male) as opposed to XX (female). Women ordinarily reach their greatest height at a younger age than men. Vertical growth stops when the long bones stop lengthening, which occurs with the closure of epiphyseal plates. These plates are bone growth centers that disappear ("close") under the hormonal surges brought about by the completion of puberty. Puberty generally occurs several years earlier in young women than in young men, and so final adult height is reached earlier in women. Adult height for one sex in a particular ethnic group follows more or less a normal distribution.

Adult height between ethnic groups often differs significantly, as presented in detail in the chart below. For example, the average height of women from the Czech Republic is currently greater than that of men from Malawi. This may be due to genetic differences, to childhood lifestyle differences (nutrition, sleep patterns, physical labor) or to both.

At 2.57 metres (8 ft 5.5 in), Leonid Stadnyk is believed to be the world's tallest living man and is from Zhytomyr Oblast in Ukraine, although his height is disputed. The tallest man in modern history was Robert Pershing Wadlow from Illinois in the United States, who was born in 1918 and stood 2.72 m (8 ft 11.1 inches) at the time of his death in 1940.

The maximal height that an individual attains in adulthood is not maintained throughout life if that life is a very long one. Again, depending on chromosomal (male v. female), genetic, and environmental factors, there is shrinkage of stature that may begin in middle age in some individuals but is universal in the extremely aged. This decrease in height is due to such factors as decreased height of inter-vertebral discs because of desiccation, atrophy of soft tissues, and postural changes secondary to degenerative disease.

It is interesting to see how a thread about regen's height could develop into something so different.

To those saying that Chinese Football players are supposed to be short, I am sorry you are wrong, please do check the height of the current Chinese Squad listed on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_national_football_team

For instance the height of the three current GKs are 1.91m, 1.86m and 1.88m. The shortest player in the squad is the well known (in China) winger Hao Junmin - 1.78m.

In Asia, Chinese football teams are known to be physically strong and dominant in the air, particularly against South Eastern Asian teams and Japan.

im ignorent because i was unaware it was a racist term?

why is it obvious it was used in a derogatory manner?

many people say when they are going for a chinese im off for a c****y if they were belittling(excuse the pun on this particular thread) them why would they purchase there food

"Chink is an ethnic slur for any person of Chinese descent. Chink may also mean a small crevice or opening, often referring to a weakness such as a "chink in the armor", but also in purely descriptive contexts such as a chink between two bricks. The latter term is uncontroversial, since it predates the ethnic slur, though the slur may have origins from the original meaning. The usage of the word as an ethnic slur has sparked contemporary controversies in public and popular media."

On topic,

I'd imagine that MOST Chinese players would be shorter becasue the average height of a Chinese male is 166cm, much smaller than most (if indeed not all) European nations. Denmark is 180 cm for example, the UK 176.

For the record, the average height of a Japanese male is 171 cm. 5cm taller than China, I guess a lot of taller Chinese men play football if the above squad heights are accurate

It is interesting to see how a thread about regen's height could develop into something so different.

To those saying that Chinese Football players are supposed to be short, I am sorry you are wrong, please do check the height of the current Chinese Squad listed on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_national_football_team

For instance the height of the three current GKs are 1.91m, 1.86m and 1.88m. The shortest player in the squad is the well known (in China) winger Hao Junmin - 1.78m.

In Asia, Chinese football teams are known to be physically strong and dominant in the air, particularly against South Eastern Asian teams and Japan.

the Asian teams are physically strong & dominant in the air because-a all that Chi they can harness.

the can break metal bars over their heads & i think some can even fly on clouds.

i think Bolo from Enter the Dragon was Chinese.

he's hardly diminutive in stature...

sorry, is "diminutive" a racist term?

i guess only if....

the oppositive of diminutive (?) is seen as a positive thing huh?

p.s this post started on generalisation of race & has stayed on topic...

the original poster was obviously alluding to what he saw as a false stereotype about the Chinese. the factor in "what makes Chinese regens so small in stature?" is the fact that SI have said "Chinese regens should be smaller than the average just like they are in reality"

and they're probably right.

"Chink is an ethnic slur for any person of Chinese descent. Chink may also mean a small crevice or opening, often referring to a weakness such as a "chink in the armor", but also in purely descriptive contexts such as a chink between two bricks. The latter term is uncontroversial, since it predates the ethnic slur, though the slur may have origins from the original meaning. The usage of the word as an ethnic slur has sparked contemporary controversies in public and popular media."

On topic,

I'd imagine that MOST Chinese players would be shorter becasue the average height of a Chinese male is 166cm, much smaller than most (if indeed not all) European nations. Denmark is 180 cm for example, the UK 176.

For the record, the average height of a Japanese male is 171 cm. 5cm taller than China, I guess a lot of taller Chinese men play football if the above squad heights are accurate

Yes but average height should not be a hard and fast rule determining the average height of a footballer of that nation considering the nation has over 1 billion people and a low proportion of footballers compared to other countries.

For example in the Australian Football League (Australian rules football that is) of the 800 or so players the average height is something like 183-5cm, I imagine that the NRL, the other dominant football code in Australia has a similar (perhaps slightly shorter) average height. However the average male height in Australia is reported to be around 178-179cm.

On topic,

the Asian teams are physically strong & dominant in the air because-a all that Chi they can harness.

the can break metal bars over their heads & i think some can even fly on clouds.

i think Bolo from Enter the Dragon was Chinese.

he's hardly diminutive in stature...

sorry, is "diminutive" a racist term?

i guess only if....

the oppositive of diminutive (?) is seen as a positive thing huh?

p.s this post started on generalisation of race & has stayed on topic...

the original poster was obviously alluding to what he saw as a false stereotype about the Chinese. the factor in "what makes Chinese regens so small in stature?" is the fact that SI have said "Chinese regens should be smaller than the average just like they are in reality"

and they're probably right.

Most Asian teams are not physically strong at all. Although as someone said China is probably known as the stronger one (not including Australia) They are quick and pretty technically sound but strength in Asian international football is not their....strength.

I'd imagine that MOST Chinese players would be shorter becasue the average height of a Chinese male is 166cm ...

Errr... where did you get that statistics from @@? I lived in China for 15 years till 1998 and the average height of Chinese male has been around 1.73 always :)

oh and i suppose peedo is a slur on pedophiles now is it?

To be fair....being a paedophile is just having an unfortunate sexual attraction and urge.

There is little reason for attraction....some like blondes, others like brunettes.

Some people like tall ladies...some like short. Fat or thin.

Some like Asians....some like latinas....some like africans.

Some people are turned on by breasts, feet or other parts of the body.

Some are even attracted to those of the same sex.

Do homosexuals choose to be gay...of course not. Do paedophiles choose to be attracted to children...of course not.

"if you deny something you give it power.

go check out Lenny Bruce you lil PC schoolgirl bitch!"

...and if you use it for shock value or to gain Kudos with Russell Brand (for instance) you are a tit! I suppose it would be naive to assume that a semi-cerebral game such as FM wouldn't attract reactionary no-thumb halfwits. Oh well.

As for the OP's point: I think it is a bit daft having a GK that is 168cm, unless it is based on the real stats of a real player. In that case, it's tough luck. I'd suggest you buy a taller keeper and centrebacks. Certainly looking at the Chinese national team, there is the usual mix of tall and short players.

Back to the common theme of this thread to finish: God, there are some d*ckheads on this planet

Archived