I have a big admission to make...

I have been a huge fan of Football Manager ever since CM2, and have played every game since. This was particularly difficult when I lived in Kuwait for 3 years and had to have a copy shipped over and through customs. I have followed football for 20 years, and I know a ridiculous amount of stats and information about it. In short, I know everything about there is to know about how to play Football Manager. Except for one thing.

I can't do tactics.

I suffer from Dyspraxia, which is a development disorder related to spatial awareness and co-ordination. It pretty much means that when I'm watching football, I can see when a team is playing well or badly, but can't sense any perception of a team's 'shape' or movement plan. This relates down to Football Manager, where I can easily tell if my team are playing well or badly (I'm very good with stats and find the match and player stats helpful) but usually have absolutely no idea how to change my team to sort out a problem or exploit an area. The 3D pitch makes this ever so slightly easier for me to view but I still can't really tell.

Dyspraxia is not a terrible thing, most of the time the hand-eye skills can be practiced to get better and God knows there are far far worse things that people suffer, but it can be irritating and annoying.

What I was wondering is (a) does anyone else have a similar problem and (b) can anyone give any basic, simple suggestions to help me out? Easy things to spot, what to watch out for, anything like that?

Many thanks for the help :)

Archived