Almunia in England Squad???

Here's something funny. I've now completed one calender year as England manager, and just got a message saying "Neri is watching Almunia". So out of curiosity I tried to call him up for the England squad, only to find that it was completely possible. Yes I realize that this is theoretically probably possible because

1. He got an English passport (in the game)

2. He never played for Spain.

Here's a screenshot:

AlmuniaEngland.png

Yes I realize it's theoretically possible, I still find it funny, and a bit weird.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't think so defuge, Since he hasn't played a full international for hsi birth nation, due to fifa rules, he is able to select which nation he wishes to play for.

But I hear or read somewhere that if a player has playerd for any youth team (U21, U19 etc.) they can choose until 23 years of age which nation they want to represent. Was a thing with I. Affelay (being from Marocco etc.)

There is an agreement between the home nations that they won't call up anybody purely on the basis that they've lived in the country for long enough. This is why Nacho Novo can't play for Scotland, and why it shouldn't be possible for Almunia to be in the England squad.

I wouldn't think so defuge, Since he hasn't played a full international for hsi birth nation, due to fifa rules, he is able to select which nation he wishes to play for.

According to the FIFA rules he is eligible to play for England, but I thought there was an agreement between the home nations that they wouldn't call up players in these circumstances.

Isn't there a gentleman's agreement between the home nations that prevents this from happening?

Nah. Look at how many english players played for Republic of Ireland, especially under Jack Charlton. They were born English but could claim to be Irish due to having one grand-parent who was Irish. They did this because most wouldn't get a game for England

I suspect this will become more common over the years with many European players living abroad

Nah. Look at how many english players played for Republic of Ireland, especially under Jack Charlton. They were born English but could claim to be Irish due to having one grand-parent who was Irish. They did this because most wouldn't get a game for England

I suspect this will become more common over the years with many European players living abroad

I think the gentlemans agreement extends to having a grandparent born in that country. Plus Ireland isnt in the agreement because there not British.

The Republic or Ireland are not part of the Gentlemans agreement because they are not part of the United Kingdom, The gentlemans agreement is only between England , Wales Scotland and N.Ireland as they are the nations that the British Passport Rule would apply to

That's a different scenario to Almunia though, they can prove a blood link to that country as opposed to just living here for enough years and gaining a passport.

YEs as it stands they have agreed that it has to be because of a blood relative, parent or grandparent, or being born in the country, basically residency is not a qualification because I'm pretty sure that is the FIFA rule. I mean couldn't HArgreves had played for Germany, Wales, England or Canada?

Isn't there a gentleman's agreement between the home nations that prevents this from happening?
That's a different scenario to Almunia though, they can prove a blood link to that country as opposed to just living here for enough years and gaining a passport.

I guess so.

However here is a good example of a player playing for a different nationality having gained a UK passport..... Owen Hargreaves. He was born in Calgary, Canada

Nathan Ellington turns up in the Bosnia-Herzegovina squad.

Very weird one that.

Yeah seems weird but he is married to a Bosnian Muslim and now is a practising Muslim and maybe soon a Bosnian too, watch out Spain.

Although I do get my info on this from Wikipedia which also told me Nacho Novo could play for Mexico as well because of his name.

I guess so.

However here is a good example of a player playing for a different nationality having gained a UK passport..... Owen Hargreaves. He was born in Calgary, Canada

I'm pretty sure one of his parents is English, which makes him eligible for England.

There is an agreement between the home nations that they won't call up anybody purely on the basis that they've lived in the country for long enough. This is why Nacho Novo can't play for Scotland, and why it shouldn't be possible for Almunia to be in the England squad.

this is 100% correct. however the wording of that agreement uses phrases like 'blood lines' which i find offensive and silly considering more than half the england team is black!

Going back to the 80s, John Barnes (a Jamaican) got British nationality through residence- presumably before the gentlemen's agreement was agreed. I also didn't know Boaz Myhill had Welsh family, I had presumed he was a residency thing, I may have been wrong

Going back to the 80s, John Barnes (a Jamaican) got British nationality through residence- presumably before the gentlemen's agreement was agreed. I also didn't know Boaz Myhill had Welsh family, I had presumed he was a residency thing, I may have been wrong

well when you have the likes of chris commons and chris iwelumo in the scotland team i think its all a farce. at the end of the day anyone who holds a passport, has resides for 5 or more years and is eligible to play should be allowed.

i wasnt born in france but i would want to play for france ..

it is amazing nobody has challenged the selection as it clearly descriminates against nationalised citizens and is probably a breach of their rights somehow. i mean, you hold a british passport and have lived here for years but we wont pick you because you werent born here? but scotland and wales can have squads full of englishmen with celtic grandparents etc? lame.

just more hypocrusy from the celtic home nations. same ******** people probably against team GB in 2011.

Almunia should not be able to play for England, not now and it will be unlikely ever.

The Home Nations have discussed the Novo/Almunia incident and have decided to walk on the cautious side as it would open up the whole passport debate.

well when you have the likes of chris commons and chris iwelumo in the scotland team i think its all a farce. at the end of the day anyone who holds a passport, has resides for 5 or more years and is eligible to play should be allowed.

i wasnt born in france but i would want to play for france ..

it is amazing nobody has challenged the selection as it clearly descriminates against nationalised citizens and is probably a breach of their rights somehow. i mean, you hold a british passport and have lived here for years but we wont pick you because you werent born here? but scotland and wales can have squads full of englishmen with celtic grandparents etc? lame.

just more hypocrusy from the celtic home nations. same ******** people probably against team GB in 2011.

You do know Iwelumo was born in Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire, SCOTLAND! Why is it a farce he can play for the country of his BIRTH

Almunia should not be able to play for England, not now and it will be unlikely ever.

The Home Nations have discussed the Novo/Almunia incident and have decided to walk on the cautious side as it would open up the whole passport debate.

uhm why shouldnt it? dont you see how absurd it is? you really advocating a perspective that says that a completely unrealistic definition of 'race' is to hold precedent over a legally held citizenship. one earned by taxation and residency?

it isnt defensible and is a very backwards and descriminatory line.

this is 100% correct. however the wording of that agreement uses phrases like 'blood lines' which i find offensive and silly considering more than half the england team is black!

they might be black but where was they born and bred :rolleyes:

as for the agreement, its kinda bs imo

You do know Iwelumo was born in Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire, SCOTLAND! Why is it a farce he can play for the country of his BIRTH

that was my point.

jus because he was born there he is ok? if he was born on nigeria and moved there ten years ago it wouldnt be?

dont you see the hypocrisy?

oh come on. where was commons born? nottinghamshire. where was he raised? nottinghamshire.

you cant win this argument .. scotland and wales are taking the p*** and have been for years. vinnie jones??

YEs as it stands they have agreed that it has to be because of a blood relative, parent or grandparent, or being born in the country, basically residency is not a qualification because I'm pretty sure that is the FIFA rule. I mean couldn't HArgreves had played for Germany, Wales, England or Canada?

Not really..

Brazilian-born Guereirro plays for Poland through a green card type of situation. So FIFA obviously doesn't have a ruling against this.

Personally I think it's wrong, but it's up to the country/player.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2301765/Euro-2008-Brazilian-born-Guereirro-makes-Poland-squad.html

Yeah seems weird but he is married to a Bosnian Muslim and now is a practising Muslim and maybe soon a Bosnian too, watch out Spain.

Although I do get my info on this from Wikipedia which also told me Nacho Novo could play for Mexico as well because of his name.

That is correct about Ellington, he married, converted and announced his interest in playing for Bosnia while he was still with us.

Whit! Do you even understand the meaning of International? Out of all the things the Home Nations do, this is, by far the only one they have got correct. It is for lesser nations, who care nothing for the sanctity of International Football to throw in those who have no ties to the Nation. The fact, The Home Nations, are hated by whole Confederations for their status and if they allowed the Passport rule to the forefront would see once again the Home Nations voting for their right to play International Football

oh come on. where was commons born? nottinghamshire. where was he raised? nottinghamshire.

you cant win this argument .. scotland and wales are taking the p*** and have been for years. vinnie jones??

Aiden McGeady, born and raised in Glasgow - plays for Rep Ireland

James McCarthy (somewhat of a wonderkid at Hamilton) born and raised in Scotland, also plays for Rep Ireland.

We don't go outside the grandparent rule, it's as simple as that.

If you have a Scottish grandfather or grandmother then your entitled to play for Scotland.

I don't see why you'd moan about it though, Commons wouldn't get a sniff at the England squad so why shouldn't he move to give his career a boost?

LOl in both your posts you prove me right. :rolleyes:

How do you figure that one out?

If you have a grandparent of the country you want to play for, then it's fine. If you're born in a country then you have even more of a right to play for that country.

Otherwise you shouldn't go anywhere near that country..

i.e Nacho Novo saying he would play for Scotland. No chance. Nothing to do with Scotland.

No player should be able to represent another country without being linked to it by 1st line blood, i.e grandparent.

How do you figure that one out?

i cant be bothered with you now you are clearly blind. :rolleyes:

ok for last time:

one player born in scotland plays for ireland? thats ok?

course it is. but not if he born in spain. thats not allowed. uh?

then you say chris commons should have a go with scotland because he cant get into england team. but almunia cant have a go with england because he cant get in spain team? uh?

Do you understand what BLOOD LINE is?

Moodster, not in real life he can't

blood line is a racist term that descriminates against people based on the nationalist of their ancestors.

the world does not run on who your grandfather was. it runs on who you are.

welcome to the 21st century.

Sarkozy granfather was hungarian. is he hungarian?

:rolleyes:

Archived