Regen/Newgen System in FMH09

Quick question about the regen system on FMH that probably only Marc can answer for sure but others may know...

Marc said FMH is roughly based on CM2000, and the one best thing I remember about CM99/00 was the way in which players would be replaced upon retirement. Unlike in FM09 now, new players would not really be generated, but the retired players would come back with the same nationality, PA, position, etc. The only difference is that they would be aged 15-17 with a generic name based on their nationality and would often start at a club in that country.

The reason I ask this is because at Man Utd I have had 2 youngsters come through the ranks with the following info:

Welsh, AM LC, high crossing/dribbling/technique/passing, low aggression/strength

English, M RC, high passing/crossing/stamina/leadership, low pace

Could this be Giggs and Beckham? It may sound odd to people who didn't play the old CM series, but this is truly how predictable it was back then and I'd never thought of it until these 2 appeared. About a year after Henry's retirement you could literally do a search for a French/Martiniqui youngster and be 100% sure that the young striker would turn out to be exactly the same as Henry...

Any thoughts?

FMH still uses a regen system rather than a newgen system. Although I'd be extremely suprised if those players are Giggs and Beckham - simply because a regen doesn't necessarily retain the same nationality as the player he is replacing. Which is why in old FMH games you'd get, for example, players with Spanish names being placed at a Spanish club, but playing for England. This has been fixed for 2009, as it was simply a case of us not generating a new name for the player after changing his nationality to 'skew' more players towards the active nation...

Music to my ears :p Can't believe I didn't think of this earlier. So just to clarify (though I understand you probably don't want to give away too much about it)- the only difference between the retired player and the regen is nationality? Or for example could a MC come back as a DC with just the same potential ability?

Archived