Speed Issues

I run FM on my laptop and I have always run quite a large amount of leagues and a large database, however it seems that on this version of Football Manager that if I have any decent sized database and retain any nation's players it takes several hours for my game to load and once it has loaded the game runs sluggish.

Specs:

1.8 ghz core 2 duo

2 GB RAM

Windows XP Service Pack 3

Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS

I usually run England (to Blue Sq Prem), Scotland (to div3), Italy, Spain and France (only top divisions.)

I have done all the usual things such as defrag, error checking and have a system cleanup programme running on my pc.

Any help would be great.

I have had a look to try and find anything thats eating memory, ran spyware scans etc. but I cannot see anything, the most I have is the internet running at the same time but I don't think that should slow it down significantly.

The only thing I can think of is my Norton 360 but it hasn't caused any problems in the past with 08 etc.

You have similar specs to me.

I suggest that you download an application called CCleaner. Google it. Then use it to clear up files on your hard drive. However, more importantly, use it to disable any applications that are starting up automatically when you load up windows and are not needed.

Personally, I also disconnect from the internet, disable my anti-virus software and close down MSN when I am having a session on FM.

With your specs, you should be able to run default leagues from four countries and a large database with ease. Suggest that you do not load players from countries unless absolutely necessary. This can add lots of extra players to the database, which will slow the game down, and a large percentage of these players will be of poor quality. The exception to this rule is when loading players from more obscure nations that you would like to manage internationally.

Which countries are you trying to retain by the way? I may be able to suggest a better method for you.

I have a 1.5 Dual Core with 2gig of ram and Vista Home Basic SP1. I run all the leagues you do except the French with a large database. I also have about 1.5 GB of graphics (facepacks,logos,skins etc.) loading up and it takes about 30 sec to load. It also runs faster than 08.

Have you tried excluding all your FM files from being scanned by Norton?

In 2008 I used to retain a lot of countries but now I am just trying to retain, Scotland, England, Ireland, Wales, France, Italy, Spain, Germany and Holland.

That will be why it is taking so long. Retaining all of those players. That is a whole load of players that you don't need in your database.

When you load all players, you are mostly loading really useless players into the game. For instance, if you are loading 5 countries with a large database, you will already have all the decent players from those nations loaded into the game. By retaining all those extra players, all you are getting is a whole load of useless talent to slow the game down.

Retaining players from countries is most useful for international management and, particularly, with making minor nations playable such as San Marino or Luxembourg.

If you want a bigger database than the 'large' option, I suggest what you do is use a DDT file to retain players at certain clubs instead of countries. That will be less players and more quality talent. You game will run a lot faster and you will still have loads of depth.

For instance, I have files to retain to top european clubs and all players in the top flight leagues in Italy, France, Spain, Germany etc.

That is a much more sensible approach.

You will definitely run the game quickly if you get rid of all the 'load all players' from those countries. That will be what is slowing it down.

If you want any DDTs then PM me and I will forward some to you.

Archived