Question from newbie American

a fullback is same as the a right/left defender. a wingback is a position that is located below the right/left midfield but above the defence. You can encourage a fullback to focus on both attacking and defending or just defending. A wingback is more focused on attacking and defense is their secondary job.

Hi and welcome,

Full back is in effect a DR or a DL (defender right, defender left) and wingback is more of an attacking full back e.g. WBR, WBL (wingback right or left). Playing a formation 3-5-2 would normally be 3 DC (centrebacks) 2 wingbacks and 3 midfield centres (MC) and 2 strikers e,g,

FC FC

MC MC MC

WBL WBR

DC DC DC

GK

The wingbacks would have arrows pointing forward to attack down the wings. Some full backs can also play as wing backs e.g. WBR, DR etc

Does this help?

First of all, I'm loving the game. It's really given me a great interest in international soccer (football). I'm slowly starting to understand the terminology and tactics.

Question: What exactly is the difference between a fullback, a wingback and a right or left defender?

Hi, a fullback is either a right or left defender, and typically plays in a formation where there are four defenders (one left, one right, and two central defenders - also referred to as a "flat back four").

A wing back is like a very attacking full back. When you play with full backs using four defenders, you will often have two wide midfielders, but if you don't want to have two wide midfielders, you may want your wing backs to do the job of both full backs and wingers (wide midfielders). This enables you to have three central defenders, for example.

Full backs are more common as more teams play 4-4-2, 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 formations. Wingbacks occur more often in 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 formations.

Hope that helps. :thup:

Archived