fun but frustrating

Finally started playing my copy of WWSM 2009 yesterday, and I have to say, this game is a lot of fun. Yes, there are the major flaws such as the long shots and the bad finishing, but I am not going to complain. I do think the game is a bit harder than normal, but this is really my first attempt at playing a career. I'm using Dundee and Chile, and I've had a string of bad luck with both.

Now I am not one that wants to go through 100 pages of tactics to find something that works, I am not nor do i ever desire to be a real soccer manager. I want the game to be fun without having to spend a lot of time with the tactics. I will mess with the tactics some however.

I have not installed the patch yet, I am about to do that now. Maybe that will have some improvement on the game as far as difficulty goes. I must admit though, I still have a fondness for 2007, I have my longest game saved on 2007.

What do you guys think? Opinions? comments?

the 3d makes it for me. i could never really get into the tactics in 2d, it just bored me to death and was impossible to follow. now in 3d I can see my team working and see players movement without it becoming a blur.

i can see changes being more effective too. if i change my defensive line or my runs it actually happens on the screen which is nice.

the ME and the 3d are worth the 20 euro. when we get the final patch it will give me a lot of happy hours ..:thup:

For me tactics are too complicated for transfering realism to me. It transfers lots of frustration though.

it can be so yes. odd this but i find it actually makes it worse when people try to use other people's tactics off forums and stuff. they don't understand the mentality behind them or they use these 10 different versions of the same thing 'kits' which in theory are good but in reality are just guessing.

the best way to play fm 09 is to create a sensible formation. i prefer 4-3-3 and make it as utterly defensively sound as you can with middle to low mentalities following rule of one. then use that to start every game with and simply adjust the tactic (not the formation!) on the fly as the match unfolds. you won't really get enough info about the match from watching extended highlights or key highlights either, you need to watch the first 20 mins of every half at least.

best way seriously is to play not to lose and then work on winning once you have assessed the ai's strategy.

I totally agree with you sportsfanmike. FM07 was brilliant, it was simple to use, ran well and while it does have its own flaws it gave you simple satisfaction in the fact that you had to perform well to get success and if your standards slipped it punished you. I think since then SI have provided such disappointing follow on games and made it far too 'involved' and complicated and therefore the game runs a lot slower.

They had the basics spot on in my opinion in FM07, there was no need for press conferences or a 3D match engine in my opinion, and yes i know you dont have to have 3D but the 2D engine was ruined in 08 and hasn't recovered, the ball simply flies way too high now and looks like it is going over all the time when it is going in!

At the end of the day what do the press conferences actually help you 'achieve' in the game that you couldnt do in 07? Why do you have to go through PRE MATCH PRESS_TEAM SELECTION_SUBMIT TEAM_TEAM TALK when before it was simply GO TO MATCH and that screen then automatically took you to TEAM TALK!? so much simpler and better.

I can see what they are trying to do and make it more interactive but it doesn't make it more enjoyable, its a game and i dont want to manage a real bloody football team, i work 10 hours a day and want to come home for a blast on something which is satisfying, not have to dedicate a week of constant playing just to finish a season.

Archived