Do players really get appearance pay?

It works in certain situations though.

Someone who might not be worthy of a regular first team place might get offered £3k a week, but £15k for a first team appearance. I do agree that someone earning MORE a week than the appearance fee itself doesn't make sense though.

The best example I can think of as being important was a few years ago when Derby were in deep financial trouble and we always had Giorgie Kinkladze sitting on our bench, despite being the best player we had by a mile. He'd only come in in big games when we truly needed him, otherwise we'd keep our money and not play him.

Appearance fee also helps out if you have an injury prone player, why pay someone the big bucks if you aren't going to play them because they're injured? In a way, it's like a pay as you play contact.

@ Deltarod

I agree that players are grossly overpaid, but I think you are looking at it from the wrong perspective. Instead of paying everyone a higher fixed salary you shift a percentage to an appearence bonus in every contract. The aim is to lower the total wage cost for the club as you don't play all your players every game. Offcourse it's quite possible to set up a scenario where the club is actually paying more, but that is the main idea I'd say.

Can appearance fee be negotiated down in the game? Has anyone tried it?

Yes, appearance fee can be negotiated down. Some players agreed to a 'hometown' appearance fee discount with me before. :D (most cases I've negotiated down about 10-20% of their previous appearance fee)

Archived